Who for? Independent travellers looking for high quality accommodation and the northern lights
** Winter 2013 Solar Max book now **
This itinerary is also available based at Hotel Glymur in West Iceland. Find out more about Northern Lights at Glymur »
A luxury ranch-style hotel, Ranga is around a two hour drive from Reykjavik. It boasts uninterrupted 360° views and has a reputation for excellent service. It offers superb rooms and a gourmet restaurant with sweeping views, an extensive menu and wine list.
- Hotel Ranga sits under vast open skies in the rural south, close to the Golden Circle and several of Iceland's iconic waterfalls
- the property offers outdoor hot tubs - the experience of sitting in steaming waters whilst watching the lights overhead is not to be missed
- should an impressive display of the lights appear during the night, you can opt to have hotel staff wake you so you don't miss it!
Hotel ION (opened in February 2013)
This new 4-star adventure hotel, less than an hours drive from Reykjavik, boasts many unique characteristics and is designed to both inspire and relax its guests in equal measure. It offers 46 comfortable rooms, a natural spa and pool, a gourmet restaurant and a magnificent 'northern lights bar' with panoramic views of Lake Thingvellir and with a bit of luck, the magical northern lights.
- Hotel ION lies a few hundred metres from the western bank of Lake Thingvellir on the edge of the famed Golden Circle route and close to many of the south west's other must see attractions
- the property offers a large geothermal dipping pool, a sauna and a silent relaxation room
- a wide range of optional adventurous activities and sightseeing excursions are on offer
nearby, the Nesjavellir Plant nestles in one of the most geothermally active areas of Iceland. Providing power and electricity to the Reykjavik region, it is a compelling example of how Icelanders harness the country's natural resources into a sustainable energy source. It is possible to visit to the plant for a closer look at the processes involved.
About this Holiday
At a Glanceclick for larger map »
Show Me More»
On the Aurora Nights holiday we were finally able to see the Northern Lights.Mark & Tracy Jones, Aurora Nights, Iceland
About Iceland Northern Lights Holidays
View Similar TripsIceland Northern Lights holidays»
Other holidays in Iceland»
Other Northern Lights holidays»