Who for? Not just for whale enthusiasts but anyone wanting to experience the natural wonders of Iceland’s West and hopefully see the northern lights.
- Stay in Grundarfjordur, a prime location for viewing orca even from the shore - only available through Discover the World
- Two whale watching boat trips to see orca, white-beaked dolphin and seabirds
- Onboard orca experts and orca research scientists
- Opportunity to observe scientific research
- Full day guided sightseeing tour of Snaefellsnes
- Northern lights excursions - available when weather and/or aurora conditions are better a short distance away from town.
- A bathe in the warm waters of the Blue Lagoon
|Erich Hoyt, Guest Lecturer
Leading whale and dolphin researcher, conservationist and author of 19 books
|See more »|
In the early part of the year, the Snaefellsnes Peninsula in West Iceland sees killer whales visit remarkably close to the shore to feed on herring near the fishing village of Grundarfjordur. Staying in the heart of this charming village, you'll have every opportunity of seeing killer whales both on boat trips and from the shore!
Over the last four years the whales have arrived as early in the season as mid December and have remained until mid April. Based on the orca behaviour, late December, January, February and March provide the optimum time for whale watching.
Conveniently, this time of year is also good for aurora activity, so not only will you have memorable encounters with orca by day, but your evenings will bring the prospect of northern lights sightings.
Group sizes are usually around 15-25 people (maximum 29).
YOUR EXPERT GUIDES
Enjoy the company of our experienced and knowledgable Iceland guides throughout the trip, as well as onboard cetacean experts on the two whale watching trips including, on occassion, a special orca research team*. With a wealth of travel and wildlife experience, you'll be in safe hands.
* selected boat trips only
About this Holiday
At a Glanceclick for larger map »
Show Me More»
Everyone in the group commented on how amazing our guide was, her knowledge and enthusiasm never wavered and having such an incredible leader with us to point out things we would have otherwise missed was a blessing.Michael Claassen, Killer Whales & Northern Lights
About Iceland Wildlife & Nature Holidays
View Similar TripsIceland Wildlife & Nature holidays»
Other holidays in Iceland»
Other Wildlife holidays»