5 Reasons to Visit Auckland
Wednesday, 15 February 2017
Lindi, Australasia Product Manager
Lindi, our Australasia Product Manager and previous NZ resident, gives us her top 5 reasons to visit the city of Auckland in New Zealand's North Island...
1. Some of the best coffee in the world. A flat white is a must for that early morning airport arrival! Enjoy some fine dining at one of the many delightful restaurants at scenic Viaduct Harbour overlooking the ocean. Check out Solo, Botswana Butchery and the highly-rated Kermadec seafood restaurant.
2. Immerse yourself in splendid isolation on the mesmerising and dramatic west coast, especially on a stormy day. Walk barefoot on black volcanic sand beaches, often with no-one else around for miles. Piha Te Henga (my personal favourite), Karekare.
3. Rediscover the lost island of Rotoroa. Learn about the island's history as a rehabilitation centre, visit historic buildings such as the old chapel and jailhouse, and walk along beautiful beaches and bush trails.
4. Hike the Sir Edmund Hillary trail. This 77km walking track is located in the Waitakere Ranges - one of the few subtropical rainforests that exists outside the tropics. Walk through pristine native bush and discover ancient Kauritrees and gushing waterfalls. Just a 40-minute-drive from Auckland, this is a true adventurer's paradise.
5. Explore the largest collection of Māori Taonga (treasures). Discover over 1000 taonga in the Māori galleries of the Auckland Museum - the largest in New Zealand (and the world). See an original full-size marae (meeting house) from before the arrival of the Pākehā (European settlers).
Popular blog posts
From stays in converted coal miners' cabins and luxury lodges to electric fat-bikes, schooner safaris and dog sleds on wheels: find our what's new in Svalbard for 2018...