This motorhome itinerary features Alaska’s most profoundly beautiful scenery and offers fantastic opportunities for wildlife viewing. Travelling by motorhome is especially suited to independent travellers seeking exploration in this vast and remote wilderness, home to North America’s highest peak, Denali, and the incredible marine life and glaciers of the Kenai Peninsula.
- Enjoy a full day in Denali National Park with endless opportunities for wildlife spotting
- Visit the glaciers and mountains surrounding Valdez
- Explore the wildlife rich waters of Kenai Fjords National Park
Offering the ultimate flexibility, you have the choice of following our suggested itinerary and pre-booking your overnight campsite stops or book your motorhome rental only and vary the itinerary as you travel.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Anchorage - Palmer (73 km)
- Collect your Cruise America motorhome from the Anchorage depot and drive northeast on the Glenn Highway. You'll pass the townships of Eagle River and Chugiak and continue on towards Palmer, which is about an hour's drive from Anchorage. As you head through the Eklutna Flats, enjoy the towering vistas of the Chugach and Talkeetna Mountains, and catch a glimpse of Pioneer Peak, the closest peak in the distance. Suggested campsite: Mt. View RV Park, Palmer
- Day 2: Palmer - Denali (323 km)
- Today you will head from Palmer to Denali National Park, continuing on the Parks Highway drive through the Matanuska-Susitna Valley and Denali State Park. If time permits take a side trip to the small community of Talkeetna. Suggested campsite: Riley Creek Campground, Denali Park Village
- Day 3: Denali
- Denali is home to six million acres of wild land, bisected by one ribbon of road. Highly recommended is a guided tour into Denali National Park. As you travel into the park you’ll see the relatively low-elevation taiga forest give way to high alpine tundra and snowy mountains, culminating in North America's tallest peak, 20,320ft Denali, formerly Mount McKinley. Wild animals large and small roam unfenced lands. Solitude, tranquility and wilderness awaits. Suggested campsite: Riley Creek Campground, Denali Park Village
- Day 4: Denali - Fairbanks (207 km)
- Today continue on the Parks Highway north to Fairbanks. Accompanied by incredible forest and mountain landscape you’ll drive through the communities of Healy, Nenana and the community of Ester, an old gold mining camp. Suggested campsite: Rivers Edge Resort, Fairbanks
- Day 5: Fairbanks
- Enjoy a free day today in Fairbanks, Alaska's second largest city. A visit to the Museum of the North is highly recommended. Suggested campsite: Rivers Edge Resort, Fairbanks
- Day 6: Fairbanks - Glennallen (399 km)
- Today you head to Glennallen, following the Richardson Highway until Delta Junction. Just outside of Fairbanks you’ll drive by the North Pole, the home of North America's Santa Claus. In Delta Junction take the Richardson Highway and drive south towards Glennallen. The nearby Copper River has world class salmon fishing, excellent hiking and rafting and even flightseeing. Suggested campsite: Tolsona Wilderness Campground, Glennallen
- Day 7: Glennallen - Valdez (193 km)
- Today you’ll head to Valdez, enjoy the spectacular drive on the Richardson Highway, part of the route parallels the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. Weather permitting stop and enjoy incredible views of the Wrangell Mountains. Drive by Worthington Glacier and through Keystone Canyon with its waterfalls. Valdez is a must see on your Alaska itinerary, the crashing glaciers and towering Chugach mountains rising from the sea make Valdez absolutely picturesque. Suggested campsite: Bear Paw RV Park, Valdez
- Day 8 Valdez - Whittier-Seward (approx 6 hr ferry, plus 143 km)
- This morning it is all aboard the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry to Whittier travelling through beautiful Prince William Sound. Upon arrival in Whittier drive through the Whittier-Portage Tunnel (one-lane tunnel, open to traffic during certain hours only). Then drive the Seward Highway through scenic landscape to Seward. For a closer look at Portage Glacier, there are hour-long sightseeing boat cruises on Portage Lake or you can hike a number of foot trails that wind near the frozen monument. Suggested campsite: Stoney Creek RV Park, Seward
- Day 9: Seward
- Spend today at leisure exploring the Kenai Fjords National Park home to some of most pristine, rugged, breathtaking glacial vistas in the USA. The massive Harding Icefield feeds the 38 glaciers of the park. In turn these glaciers have been sculpting the fjords making a home for the many species of marine life – mammals, fish and seabird alike. Enjoy a Wildlife & Glacier cruise into scenic Kenai Fjords National Park and maybe even spot a whale. Suggested campsite: Stoney Creek RV Park, Seward
- Day 10: Seward - Anchorage (204 km)
- Spend this morning at leisure and this afternoon head back on the Seward Highway to Anchorage. Suggested campsite: Golden Nugget RV Park, Anchorage
- Day 11: Anchorage
- Return your motorhome to the Anchorage depot and continue on your travels.
- Mileage : approx 950 miles / 1530 kms
A variety of motorhome options are available for this holiday. Please contact us for further details.
Prices & Dates
Departs Monday to Saturday between May and September 2018
Price from £1,207 per person, based on 2 people travelling in a standard C25 motorhome
Prices vary depending on departure date
Prices include 10 nights / 11 days hire of a standard C25 motorhome • comprehensive insurance cover (up to one million US dollars liability) • accidental damage (subject to a deductible excess) • 1500 mileage package • two personal kits (bedding, towels etc) • one vehicle provision kit (pots, pans and crockery)
Prices exclude flights & airport taxes • meals and excursions • airport transfer • travel insurance • gratuities & items of a personal nature
Please note you will be required to pay a refundable security deposit of US $500 by credit card, or if you do not have a credit card, a cash deposit of US $1,000. Any damages will be charged against this deposit.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.