This well-paced independent holiday makes use of the famous Alaskan Railroad to take in the national parks of Kenai Fjords and Denali as well as the cities of Anchorage and Fairbanks. With a number of classic sightseeing excursions from glacier cruises to jet boating included in the price, this itinerary is not just for rail enthusiasts and is a great alternative to self drive touring. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy Alaska from a different perspective.
This itinerary follows a circular route from Anchorage.
- cruise along ice cliffs in Kenai Fjords National Park (included)
- explore the wilderness of Talkeetna by jetboat (included)
- experience the wildlife wonders of Denali National Park (included)
- learn about traditional Athabascan culture on a sternwheeler riverboat tour (included)
Departing from Anchorage enjoy a scenic rail journey to Seward, gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park. An included cruise here offers the chance to see whales, sea lions and a wealth of seabirds, as well as view icebergs calved off the glacier. Return to Anchorage before heading north to the attractive town of Talkeetna for a jet boat excursion focusing on Alaska's wildlife, folklore and history.
Continue by rail to Denali, where you will join a guided excursion into the national park in search of wildlife - bears, moose and caribou all roam free in this mountainous wilderness. Later continue on the Railroad to Fairbanks. A sightseeing tour here includes a riverboat tour on a traditional sternwheeler, a superb way to end your Alaskan adventure before flying back to Anchorage and home.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Anchorage
- Arrive in Anchorage and make your own way to your hotel.
- Day 2: Anchorage - Seward (4hr)
- Embark your train on the Alaska Railroad south to the scenic Kenai Peninsula and the port town of Seward.
- Day 3: Seward - Kenai Fjords - Anchorage (4hr)
- A 6-hour cruise through Kenai Fjords National Park is included today - keep watch for whales and other marine wildlife as you marvel at calving glaciers and sparkling icebergs. Later board the train back to Anchorage.
- Day 4: Anchorage - Talkeetna (3hr)
- Continue your rail journey north to Talkeetna - on arrival this afternoon you will join a jet boat excursion into the wilderness. You may spot beavers, moose or bald eagles, and weather permitting enjoy views of Mt McKinley and the Alaska Range in the distance.
- Day 5: Talkeetna - Denali (3hrs)
- Board the train to Denali - your accommodation tonight is located near the entrance to Denali National Park.
- Day 6: Denali National Park - Fairbanks (4hr)
- Enjoy a 8-hour guided excursion into Denali National Park today. Take in spectacular views and keep your eyes peeled for wildlife, which may include bears, moose, herds of caribou or even a lone wolf. Later, continue by rail to the city of Fairbanks.
- Day 7: Fairbanks
- Enjoy exploring Fairbanks today, where a half-day sightseeing tour has been included. An authentic sternwheeler riverboat provides the ideal way to cruise the Chena and Tanana Rivers, taking in some of the local Athabascan Native Indian culture and the area's natural history.
- Day 8: Fairbanks - Anchorage (1hr flight)
- Board a flight back to Anchorage for your final night in Alaska.
- Day 9: Anchorage
- Make your way back to the airport for your flight home.
Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
With Denali National Park on the doorstep, the 212 room …
The above is a selection of accommodation available for this holiday. Other options are available based on your preferred category. Please contact us for further details.
ExcursionsA number of excursions are included in this itinerary, some of which are listed in more detail below. Your Travel Specialist will be able to advise on additional or upgraded excursion options to suit your interests.
Prices & Dates
Departs daily, from 15 May to 31 August 2018
From £1,972 per person, based on twin-share standard accommodation. Prices vary subject to departure date.
Prices include 8 nights room only accommodation in the category of your choice (Standard or Superior) • Alaska Railroad as per the itinerary (Standard package includes standard Adventure Class Carriage; Superior package includes GoldStar Dome Carriage) • 6-hour cruise in Kenai Fjords National Park, with lunch • 2-hour wilderness jetboat tour from Talkeetna • 8 hour bus tour into Denali National Park, including snack • Half-day Fairbanks sightseeing tour with Riverboat Cruise • Alaska Airlines flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage (economy class) • Airport-hotel transfers on days 1, 8 & 9 included in Standard package only
Prices exclude International flights & airport taxes • Additional meals and excursions not specified above • Superior package excludes airport-hotel transfers – most hotels offer an airport shuttle service; taxis are also readily available at the airport • Travel insurance • Gratuities & items of a personal nature
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.