Explore the wild beauty of Alaska during the snow-covered winter months, travelling by car and by train on the legendary Alaska Railroad. Taking in the cities of Anchorage and Fairbanks, as well as two excellent winter resorts, this itinerary offers the chance to try a range of outdoor activities and perhaps view the aurora borealis streaking overhead.
- Combine hot pools and northern lights at the Chena Hot Springs Resort
- Try skiing or a range of optional activities at Alyeska Resort
- Travel on the Alaska Railroad through the snow-covered landscapes of Alaska
Enjoy Alaska’s most popular winter outdoor activities at two very different resorts. From Anchorage drive south to Girdwood for a 2 night stay at the Alyeska Resort. Here you can enjoy great downhill or cross country skiing, snowshoe through snow-clad forests or relax with a treatment at the resort’s spa. Award-winning dining is available at a choice of restaurants, and the surrounding mountains provide a spectacular backdrop whatever you choose to do. A lift pass is included during your stay at Alyeska, offering the chance to experience the resort’s renowned ski slopes.
Heading north again, board the famous Alaska Railroad in Anchorage for a memorable journey through the heart of Alaska to Fairbanks. From the train you may see majestic Denali towering over the Alaska Ranges.
After an overnight stay in Fairbanks, transfer to the Chena Hot Springs Resort for a 2 night stay. With sparkling mineral springs, hot tubs and a warm indoor swimming pool, here you can soak in the naturally heated pools surrounded by snow and perhaps even spot a glimpse of the aurora borealis overhead. To maximise your chances of seeing the northern lights, an evening excursion is included, whilst a range of winter activities are available to choose from during the day.
Your holiday ends with a flight back to Anchorage, offering a different perspective over the mountains of central Alaska. A final night in the city allows time to reflect on your winter adventures before heading home.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Anchorage
- Arrive in Anchorage and make your own way to your hotel. Overnight: Clarion Suites Downtown
- Day 2: Anchorage - Girdwood (68 km)
- This morning pick up your rental car and follow the scenic highway along Turnagain Arm to Girdwood. Enjoy an afternoon at leisure, perhaps trying one of the many outdoor activities on offer at your resort, take an optional scenic helicopter flight or relax with a spa treatment. Overnight: Alyeska Resort,
- Day 3: Alyeska Resort
- A lift pass is included today to give you the opportunity to take advantage of the resort’s ski slopes. This evening we recommend dinner at the excellent Seven Glaciers Restaurant, perched at the top of the mountain high above the hotel. Overnight: Alyeska Resort.
- Day 4: Girdwood - Anchorage (68 km)
- Following a relaxing morning at the resort, make your way back to Anchorage and drop off your rental car this afternoon. Overnight: Clarion Suites Downtown.
- Day 5: Anchorage - Fairbanks
- This morning take the courtesy shuttle to Anchorage train station to board the famous Alaska Railroad. Travel through a stunning and memorable winter landscape to Fairbanks, taking in spectacular views of the Alaska Ranges and Denali. On arrival in Fairbanks take a shuttle transfer to your hotel. Overnight: Springhill Suites.
- Day 6: Fairbanks - Chena Hot Springs
- This morning transfer from Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs Resort. Explore the resort at leisure and enjoy a relaxing soak in the hot springs. Chena Hot Springs is geographically well-positioned for excellent aurora borealis viewing. An aurora viewing excursion is included this evening, travelling on board heated snow cats in search of the mesmerising northern lights. Overnight: Chena Hot Springs Resort.
- Day 7: Chena Hot Springs
- Today is free to enjoy the hot springs or to try one of the many optional activities the resort has to offer: snowmobiling, dog sledding, snow coach tours, ice skating or snowshoeing (additional cost, payable locally). Overnight: Chena Hot Springs Resort.
- Day 8: Chena Hot Springs - Fairbanks - Anchorage
- Transfer from the resort to Fairbanks Airport for your scenic flight back to Anchorage today. The remainder of the day is at leisure to explore the city. Overnight: Clarion Suites Downtown.
- Day 9: Anchorage
- Make your own way back to the airport for your flight home.
Marriott Springhill Suites, Fairbanks
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
This modern 140-room hotel in the heart of historic down…
The above is a selection of accommodation available for this holiday. Other options are available based on your preferred category. Please contact us for further details.
Prices & Dates
Prices from £1,703 per person (based on twin share)
Tuesdays from 21 November 2017 to 13 March 2018, plus additional Friday departures on 22 & 29 Dec 2017; 16 & 23 Feb 2018; 02, 09, 16 Mar 2018
Prices include 8 nights accommodation in standard hotels • 3 days rental of a 4WD including unlimited miles, LDW and taxes • Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Fairbanks (standard seating) • Transfers between hotels and railway stations • Return transfers from Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs • Alaska Airlines flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage • 1 day lift ticket at Alyeska Resort • 4-hour evening Aurora Viewing excursion • Northern Lights Bradt Guide Book
Prices exclude International flights • Airport transfers • Meals and beverages • Items of a personal nature • Tips and gratuities • Optional tours • Travel insurance
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.