This 2-week self-drive itinerary takes in many of Alaska's best known highlights, such as Wrangell-St Elias National Park, Denali and the Kenai Peninsula, as well as offering a chance to meet the locals along the way as you stay in a selection of friendly inns and remote lodges.
- Stay in a combination of characterful inns and distinctive nature lodges
- Visit three of Alaska's most breathtaking national parks including Wrangell-St Elias National Park and Kenai Fjords National Park
- Stay in the heart of Denali National Park for 2 nights and explore this spectacular landscape with guided activities included
Offering a true immersion into the Alaskan wilderness, this holiday includes the rare chance to stay within the state's most popular national parks. Fly into the heart of the vast Wrangell-St Elias National Park to visit the ghost town of Kennicott and marvel at the scale of the region's glaciers and icefields. Spend 2 nights in Denali, with time available to explore this vast park and search for wildlife such as grizzly and black bears, wolves, caribou, moose and Dall sheep. And enjoy stunning views of the Pedersen Glacier from your log cabin as you stay at the only lodge within the Kenai Fjords National Park. Everywhere you go you will be surrounded by the breathtaking landscapes and prolific wildlife of Alaska.
Please note: whilst the accommodation in Alaska is clean and comfortable, the focus is on location and experience rather than luxury.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Anchorage
- Arrive in Anchorage and make your own way to your accommodation. Overnight: Copper Whale Inn
- Day 2: Anchorage
- Enjoy a full day at leisure to explore the city and surrounding area. Included is a 1 hour city tour. Anchorage features dozens of parks and 122 miles of paved bike paths. Warmed by a maritime climate, you can spend the rest of your day hiking the nearby Chugach mountains or photographing glaciers. Overnight: as above
- Day 3: Anchorage - Chitina - McCarthy - Kennicott
- Collect your rental car today and make your way to Chitina, where you will board an Alaskan bushplane for your 30 minute flight into the heart of Wrangell-St Elias National Park. Your destination is McCarthy, from where you will transfer to the ghost town of Kennicott. Overnight: Kennicott Glacier Lodge
- Day 4: Kennicott
- Join a 2-hour guided tour of Kennicott's historic highlights, learning about this former thriving mining settlement which is now abandoned. The rest of the day is at leisure. Overnight: as above
- Day 5: Kennicott - McCarthy - Chitina - Fairbanks
- Make your way to Alaska's second largest city, Fairbanks. (30 minute flight, plus 499 km drive). A visit to the Museum of the North is highly recommended. Overnight: Taste of Alaska Lodge
- Day 6: Fairbanks - Denali National Park
- Wake early and make your way to Denali Village (200 km drive, plus 6-7 hour bus transfer) , just outside Denali National Park. For the next two nights you'll be staying in the heart of Denali National Park. Look out for wildlife as you make your way through the park to your accommodation. Overnight: Kantishna Roadhouse or Denali Backcountry Lodge (subject to availability)
- Day 7: Denali National Park
- Today is free for you to explore. Meals and guided activities are all included in your stay. Some of the most iconic, large mammals, such as grizzly and black bears, wolves, caribou, moose and Dall's sheep, can be seen by lucky visitors. Some of the more-often seen small mammals include arctic ground squirrels, red squirrels, foxes and marmots. The bird life of Denali is also varied and impressive. Golden eagles are often seen as well as ravens, mew gulls, gray jays and occasionally bald eagles. Overnight: as above
- Day 8: Denali National Park - Talkeetna
- On your return journey out of the park (6-7 hour bus transfer, plus 245 km drive) enjoy impressive views of sparkling lakes and towering mountain peaks, including the iconic mountain, Denali. Overnight: Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge
- Day 9: Talkeetna - Seward
- Drive south today to the scenic Kenai Peninsula. Your destination is the port town of Seward (384 km drive), gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park. Overnight: Seward Windsong Lodge
- Day 10: Seward - Kenai Fjords
- Today you will transfer to Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge (4-5 hour boat transfer) where the rugged beauty of Alaska's spectacular coast and abundant marine wildlife is balanced perfectly with private log cabins, a homely lodge and hearty meals with gourmet flair. Overnight: Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge
- Day 11: Kenai Fjords
- Today is a free day for you to explore. Meals and guided activities are all included in your stay. Guided options may include interpretive nature walks, sea kayaking, or exploring the lagoon by canoe. For those seeking a more relaxed experience, the lodge offers ideal comfort within direct views of nature. Curious sea otters and seals frequent the lagoon just steps from the main lodge deck. In a nearby meadow, you can spot bears and other wildlife from a safe distance. Overnight: as above
- Day 12: Kenai Fjords - Anchorage
- Savour another morning in the wilds of Kenai Fjords National Park; kayak, canoe or beachcomb for a half-day before your return wildlife cruise to Seward (2 hour boat transfer). En route, enjoy another opportunity to photograph the sheer cliffs of the fjords, scan for birdlife and seek out marine wildlife. From Seward make your way back to Anchorage for your final night in Alaska (204 km drive). Overnight: Copper Whale Inn
- Day 13: Anchorage
- Drop off your rental car at the airport and depart Alaska.
Copper Whale Inn, Anchorage
- Grade: Simple
- Type: Guesthouse / B&B
The 14-room hotel is ideally located near Anchorage's re…
Kennicott Glacier Lodge
- Grade: Simple
- Type: Hotel
With 35 rooms set in the heart of Alaska's wilderness in…
Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
With Denali National Park on the doorstep, the 212 room …
The above is a selection of accommodation available for this holiday. Other options are available based on your preferred category. Please contact us for further details.
Prices & Dates
Departs daily, from 30 May to 25 August 2018
Price from £4,396 per person, based on twin-share standard category accommodation and compact rental vehicle. Prices vary depending on departure date.
Prices include 8 nights accommodation in standard inns, hotels and lodges • 2 nights accommodation inside Denali National Park including roundtrip transportation to/from park entrance, all meals and guided activities during stay • 2 nights accommodation at Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge including roundtrip boat transportation to/from Seward, all meals and guided activities during stay • 11 days car hire (choose from compact, midsize, fullsize or 4WD) with unlimited mileage, LDW & all taxes (pick up on day 3) • 1-hour Anchorage Trolley Tour (day 2) • 2-hour guided Historical Kennicott Tour (day 4) • Roundtrip flights in bush plane Chitina - McCarthy (maximum luggage allowance 13kgs per person) • Comprehensive travel documentation and information package including itinerary, driving descriptions and directions to hotels
Prices exclude flights & airport taxes • Additional meals and excursions not specified above • Airport-hotel transfer on arrival – taxis are readily available at the airport • Travel insurance • Gratuities & items of a personal nature
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.