Alaska's spectacular Inside Passage is best explored from the water, and this small ship expedition-style cruise offers the chance to really immerse yourself in a dramatic glacial wilderness. Travelling at a leisurely pace allows for a more in-depth exploration, with time available to kayak amongst icebergs, join guided nature hikes ashore or keep watch for whales and bears from the deck.
By cruising on a smaller vessel you can enjoy a more flexible and intimate experience, travelling with like-minded fellow passengers in search of wildlife and natural wonders. This itinerary allows plenty of time to enjoy a more interactive discovery of some of the highlights of the Inside Passage.
- Enjoy waterfalls and icebergs of Endicott Arm and Fords Terror
- Explore Stephens Passage by kayak, zodiac cruise or hike
- Experience Alaska's native culture in Wrangell
- Search for wildlife in Tongass National Park
Starting from Alaska's capital city of Juneau, your cruise begins with an exploration of Endicott Arm and Fords Terror, home to huge icebergs and abundant wildlife including bears and wolves, before moving on to Stephens Passage in search of humpback whales. Other highlights include the chance to visit the town of Wrangell, with its fascinating multicultural history, as well as Tongass National Forest and Misty Fjords National Monument. Your journey ends in picturesque Ketchikan.
Throughout your cruise you may spot a wealth of wildlife, from humpbacks, orcas and porpoises, to bears, moose and wolves not to mention eagles and countless seabirds! Set against a pristine and unending backdrop of mountains, forests and glaciers, this is a truly quintessential Alaskan adventure.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: embark Juneau
- Embark your vessel this afternoon, where you will meet your crew and get acquainted before setting sail for the Endicott Arm.
- Day 2: Endicott Arm / Fords Terror
- Snow covered mountains, multiple shades of blue and the white thunder of calving ice will take your breath away at the face of Dawes Glacier. As you glide through Endicott Arm, you may spot harbour seals and their pups lounging on 'bergy bits' in the water. Tides permitting, explore the narrow passageway of Fords Terror. Marvel at its towering walls, the many waterfalls that spill down them, and the high Coastal Mountains that frame the skyline.
- Day 3: Stephens Passage
- As your captain navigates through Southeast's remote fjords, watch for humpback whales and orcas. Perhaps hike through an other-worldly landscape of hanging waterfalls, or kayak and paddle board in search of bears, heron, moose, mink, and harbour seals.
- Day 4: Thomas Bay / Wrangell Narrows
- Step into the back country of Alaska's wilderness, in an area known for glaciers and rich in gold and quartz. Explore glacial landscapes marked by moraines, muskegs, and mud. An abundance of bright red and green navigation lights guide you along 'Christmas Tree Lane' as you cruise the winding Wrangell Narrows this evening.
- Day 5: Wrangell
- Home to native culture, wildlife, and wonder—Wrangell is one of the oldest towns in Alaska and the only one ever governed by four nations. View recently carved totem poles at Kiksetti Totem Park and step inside the famed and historically significant Chief Shakes Tribal House.
- Day 6: Behm Canal
- Wildlife abounds in Behm Canal and the surrounding Tongass National Forest—orca, porpoise, seals, sea lions, brown and black bears, mink, marten, eagles, and otters. Paddle along the canal or venture out on an intertidal shore walk or low-elevation hike on the Cleveland Peninsula.
- Day 7: Misty Fjords National Monument
- Affectionately called 'The Yosemite of the North', Misty Fjords National Monument represents nearly every ecosystem found in Southeast Alaska. Glacial valleys filled with sea water and sheer 3,000 foot cliffs are a haven for sea birds, brown and black bears, mountain goats, Sitka black-tailed deer, mink, moose, river otters, and other wildlife. Glide through Walker Cove by kayak or explore by skiff soaking in the splendour of this largely forgotten corner of the world. This evening, join the Captain in a farewell toast and reminisce about your Alaskan journey over a sumptuous dinner.
- Day 8: disembark at Ketchikan
- Enjoy a final breakfast on board before disembarking the ship this morning in Ketchikan.
All voyage itineraries are intended as a guideline only - embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy of expedition travel. Actual routes and landings will be subject to weather conditions and will be adapted in order to maximize wildlife and natural encounters.
- Type: Expedition Ship
Recently refurbished this is a comfortable vessel carryi…
- Type: Expedition Ship
Carrying just 76 guests this is sister ship to the Wilde…
The above is a selection of vessels available for this holiday. Please contact us for further details.
Prices & Dates
Prices shown are £ per person, based on standard twin cabin. Please contact us for details of superior, triple and single cabin prices.
|Juneau to Ketchikan|
|Departure Date||Vessel||Prices from|
|05 May 2018
|26 May 2018||Wilderness Discoverer||£2,774|
|02 June 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£2,774|
|23 June 2018||Wilderness Discoverer||£3,082|
|30 June 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£3,082|
|21 July 2018||Wilderness Discoverer||£3,082|
|28 July 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£3,082|
|18 August 2018||Wilderness Discoverer||£2,774|
|25 August 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£2,774|
|22 September 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£2,467|
|29 September 2018||Wilderness Adventurer||£2,505|
|Ketchikan to Juneau|
|Departure Date||Vessel||Prices from|
|12 May 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£2,774|
|02 June 2018||Wilderness Discoverer||£2,774|
|09 June 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£2,774|
|30 June 2018||Wilderness Discoverer||£3,082|
|07 July 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£3,082|
|28 July 2018||Wilderness Discoverer||£3,082|
|04 August 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£3,082|
|25 August 2018||Wilderness Discoverer||£2,774|
|01 September 2018||Wilderness Explorer||£2,774|
7 nights cabin accommodation • All onboard meals • Spirits, wine, beer; non-alcoholic beverages • Transfers and baggage handling between airport/vessel on embark/disembark day • Entry fees to national parks/preserves • All from-the-vessel activities and equipment • Port fees and taxes
Flights & airport taxes • passport and visa expenses (we will be pleased to advise you on any necessary documentation, however this is passengers' own responsibility) • any additional pre or post voyage accommodation/land arrangements (if required) • optional excursions & land tours • massage treatments • customary gratuity at the end of the voyage for Hospitality Team members, ship’s crew and Expedition Team members (guidelines will be provided) • travel insurance
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.