This Arctic adventure cruise is designed for the adventurous explorer who is long on ambition, but short on time. It delivers all the wonder and frozen majesty of Spitsbergen in a week full and exciting experiences.
- Search for elusive polar bears and majestic whales
- Cruise through breathtaking fjords and admire huge glaciers
- Experience the energising and magical midnight sun
- Learn about Arctic history and ecology from expert guides
- Enjoy the pure silence of the Arctic tundra, broken only by the booming of breaking ice
With the intention of focusing on the northwest of the archipelago, track polar bears from the deck of the ship, explore the landscape via Zodiac-assisted excursions, and spot exotic birds, all from the comfort and convenience of a dedicated polar expedition ship.
Contact our Arctic experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Embarkation, Longyearbyen
- Arrive in Longyearbyen, the administrative capital of the Svalbard archipelago of which West Spitsbergen is the largest island. Before embarking there is an opportunity to stroll around this former mining town, whose parish church and Polar Museum are well worth visiting. In the surrounding area of Longyearbyen, more than 100 species of plants have been recorded. In the early evening the ship will sail out of Isfjorden, where in the mouth of the fjord you may see your first Minke Whale.
- Day 2: Raudfjord
- Sail to Raudfjord on the north coast of West Spitsbergen, a beautiful fjord dominated by spectacular glaciers and favoured by ringed and bearded seals. The cliffs and shoreline of the fjord also support thriving seabird colonies and a surprisingly rich amount of vegetation, which flourishes in sheltered spots. Polar bears are often seen here.
- Day 3: Monaco Glacier
- Sail into Liefdefjorden, cruising near the 5km long face of the impressive Monaco Glacier. The waters of the glacier front are a favourite feeding spot for thousands of kittiwakes. Polar bears have been seen on the glacier, providing wonderful opportunities for photography.
- Day 4: Hinlopen Strait
- Today cruise into the Hinlopen Strait, home to bearded seals, ringed seals, Polar bears, and ivory gulls. At the entrance there is also the possibility to see blue whales. Navigate the ice floes of Lomfjordshalvøya in the zodiacs and explore the bird cliffs of Alkefjellet with thousands of Brünnich’s guillemots. On the east side of the strait, there may be an attempted landing at Palanderbukta on Nordaustlandet, home to reindeer, pink-footed geese, breeding ivory gulls, and walruses.
- Day 5: Seven Islands
- Today the ship will attempt to reach its most northerly point of the voyage at Phippsøya, in the Seven Islands north of Nordaustlandet. Here you will be at 81 degrees north, just 540 miles from the geographic North Pole. Polar bears inhabit this region, along with ivory gulls. The ship may sit for several hours in the pack ice, before turning west again.
- Day 6: Westward Bound
- Retrace the route westwards, through and along the pack ice, keeping watch for Polar bears and the elusive Greenland right whale (bowhead). About 40 nautical miles west of Spitsbergen sail along the edge of the continental shelf, where fin whales forage in the upwellings along the banks. At the mouth of the Kongsfjord there are also good chances to see minke whales.
- Day 7: St. Johns Fjord or the mouth of Isfjorden
- Sail into St. Johns Fjord or south to the mouth of Isfjorden and land at Alkhornet. Seabirds nest on its cliffs and Arctic foxes search the cliff base for fallen eggs and chicks, while Spitsbergen reindeer graze the relatively luxuriant vegetation. Tonight, the ship will arrive back in Longyearbyen.
- Day 8: Disembark in Longyearbyen
- This morning disembark the ship in Longyearbyen and head home.
Ocean (Sea) Adventurer - 22 July 2018Day 1 Embark in Longyearbyen
Days 2-5 Exploring northwest Spitsbergen
Day 6 Disembark in Longyearbyen
Please note that all voyage itineraries are intended as a guideline only - embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy of expedition travel. Actual routes and landings will be dependent on weather, sea and ice conditions. A degree of flexibility is essential in the Polar regions!
Prices & Dates
Prices are per person, based on a twin cabin - please contact us for details of triple, single and superior cabins.
|Departure Date||Activities||Duration||Vessel||Prices from|
|29 May 2018||θ||8 days||M/V Ortelius||£3,800 - Limited Availability!|
|04 June 2018||θ||8 days||M/V Plancius||£3,800 - Limited Availability!|
|12 June 2018||θ||8 days||M/V Ortelius||£3,800 - Limited Availability!|
|15 June 2018||θ||8 days||M/V Plancius||£3,800 - Limited Availability!|
|19 June 2018||θ||8 days||M/V Ortelius||£3,800 - Limited Availability!|
|22 June 2018||θ||8 days||M/V Plancius||£3,800 - Limited Availability!|
|29 June 2018||8 days||M/V Plancius||£3,800 - Limited Availability!|
|22 July 2018||≠||6 days||Ocean (Sea) Adventurer||£3,358|
D Diving is available on this voyage: £345 per person on the M/V Ortelius
≠ Kayaking is available on this voyage: £535 per person on the Ocean (Sea) Adventurer
θ Snowshoeing is available on this voyage: complimentary on board the M/V Ortelius and M/V Plancius
Inclusions and Exclusions
Ocean (Sea) Adventurer
Includes: Transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation • On embarkation day, transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship • On disembarkation day, a group transfer from the ship to your hotel or to the Longyearbyen airport • Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches and dinners on board throughout your voyage • Coffee, tea, cocoa available around the clock • Leadership throughout the voyage by an experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers, cruising and shore landings as per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by the Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled • Photographic journal, documenting the voyage • A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • A Quark Expeditions parka – yours to keep • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard ship • Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of $100,000 per person
Excludes: Return airfares from the UK • Passport and visa expenses (we will be pleased to advise you on any necessary documentation, however this is passengers' own responsibility) • Government arrival and departure taxes • Any additional pre or post voyage accommodation/meal/land arrangements (if required) • Waterproof trousers are not provided on this voyage; passengers must provide their own wet weather trousers for zodiac cruising and shore landings • Telecommunication charges, bar and laundry costs and other charges of a personal nature • Excess baggage charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for Hospitality Team members, ship’s crew and Expedition Team members (guidelines will be provided) • Travel insurance.
M/V Ortelius & M/V Plancius
Excludes return airfares from the UK • Any additional pre or post voyage accommodation/land arrangements • Additional airport or airline security charges • Passport and visa expenses (we will be pleased to advise you on any necessary documentation, however this is passengers' own responsibility) • Government arrival and departure taxes • Excess baggage charges • Alcoholic and soft drinks, telecommunication charges, laundry costs and other charges of a personal nature • The customary gratuity at the end of the voyage for Hospitality Team members, ship’s crew and Expedition Team members (guidelines will be provided) • Travel insurance
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.