Uncover some of Queensland's premier coastal attractions on this epic East Coast self drive journey from Brisbane to Port Douglas. Travelling by car offers the flexibility to stop as you please in a region that allows many reasons to do so.
- Overnight on Fraser Island, the world's largest sand island
- Take an overnight cruise in the Whitsunday Islands
- Stay in a treehouse stay in the less-visited Atherton Tablelands
- Enjoy wildlife encounters and many optional activities
This comprehensive tour features many of Queensland's beautiful beaches and national parks. Wildlife is in abundance from the smallest kangaroo to turtles, dolphins, whales and birdlife. There is also plenty of opportunity for walking and hiking but also time to relax and enjoy this amazing adventure.
Contact our Australia experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1 Brisbane
- On arrival in Brisbane you will be transferred to your hotel for a two night stay. The rest of your day is free to relax and unwind in this uncomplicated, laid-back and fun-loving city.
- Day 2 Brisbane
- Brisbane's year-round subtropical setting allows for easy exploration. Spend today at leisure exploring at your own pace. You may like to walk through the Botanic Gardens and dine alfresco along Eagle Street Pier or walk the 107 steps at the Kangaroo Point Cliffs. For the more adventurous traveller why not consider climbing the Story Bridge and then abseiling down the side! Be sure to experience the festival buzz of South Bank, with markets, bars, restaurants, live performances and Australia's only inner-city beach.
- Day 3 Brisbane-Noosa (145 kms)
- Collect your rental vehicle and commence your drive to Noosa via the Bruce Highway. Noosa Heads has a cosmopolitan atmosphere, coupled with the natural beauty of the area.
- Day 4 Noosa
- Spend today at leisure exploring the nearby National Park. There are several walks meandering through the park to the various attractions of Boiling Pot, Hell's Gates and Paradise Cave, to name a few. Noosa's boutiques and restaurants are first class and there is no shortage of entertainment.
- Day 5 Noosa-Hervey Bay (187 kms)
- Departing Noosa today travel to Hervey Bay. Hervey Bay is full of history, beauty and attractions centred round sheltered waters and some 14 kilometres of golden beaches.
- Day 6 Hervey Bay
- Full day at your leisure to explore. Hervey Bay offers a colourful concentration of lifestyles and its waters are home to turtles, dolphins and dugongs. For those travelling between late July and November you may like to add on a whale watching excursion for the opportunity to see Humpback whales.
- Day 7 Hervey Bay-Fraser Island
- This morning you will be met at your hotel and transferred to Fraser Island for 1-night. Fraser Island is a unique part of the Fraser Coast region and its unusual formation of sand and rainforest make it a special source of adventure for visitors to explore. Tour highlights include Lake McKenzie, the sandy highway of Seventy-Five Mile Beach, Maheno Shipwreck, Indian Head and The Champagne Pools.
- Day 8 Fraser Island-Hervey Bay
- Continue sightseeing on Fraser Island and return to Hervey Bay this afternoon. The rest of your day is at leisure.
- Day 9 Hervey Bay-Yeppoon (433 kms)
- Journey north through Gin Gin and the scenic beachside Town of 1770, named after the year it was discovered by Captain Cook. Travel through Rockhampton to the charming tropical village of Yeppoon, gateway to the Capricorn Coast and Byfield National Park. Here you can birdwatch, bushwalk through rainforest and fish from the beach.
- Day 10 Yeppoon-Airlie Beach (500 kms)
- Continue north along the coast to Airlie Beach, gateway to the Whitsunday Islands. There are activities aplenty to see the Whitsundays in all their natural glory, choose from snorkelling, sailing, diving or flying!
- Day 11 Airlie Beach-Whitsunday Islands
- Depart Airlie Beach and head on an unforgettable two day, one night adventure to the Great Barrier Reef. By day you'll enjoy all the wonderful activities on offer including snorkelling, swimming, semi-sub rides, viewing fish from the underwater observatory and sunbathing on deck! Diving (for beginners and certified divers), massage and helicopter flights are also on offer (at an additional cost). By evening soak up the unique solitude and tranquillity of the Great Barrier Reef and watch as the underwater world comes to life as the sun starts to sink lower on the horizon.
- Day 12 Whitsunday Islands-Airlie Beach
- Start the day with a hearty breakfast. You'll have the morning to enjoy all the activities of the previous day so dive right back in and explore! You'll return back to Abel Point Marina for another overnight stay at Airlie Beach.
- Day 13 Airlie Beach-Townsville (275 kms)
- Today your journey continues north through mango orchards and green sugar cane fields to Townsville. Wander the scenic beach promenade, soak up the balmy nightlife and take a catamaran to the beaches or national parks of Magnetic Island.
- Day 14 Townsville-Atherton Tablelands (356 kms)
- This morning you will depart Townsville and commence your drive to the Atherton Tablelands. Atherton is the 'capital' of the Tropical Tablelands, a land of beautiful lakes, waterfalls, rich red soil and tropical rainforest. Here the temperature is cooler, the pace is slower and there is a feeling of relaxation in the air. Enjoy a two night stay in unique treehouse accommodation overlooking tropical rainforest.
- Day 15 Atherton Tablelands
- Today is free for you to explore this fascinating region. Tour the 'undiscovered' Atherton Tablelands, birdwatch for over 160 bird species, walk one of the many walking tracks or discover the wildlife, from the colourful parrots and platypus to the smallest kangaroo.
- Day 16 Atherton Tablelands-Port Douglas (136 kms)
- Travel to Port Douglas where two World Heritage listed sites meet, the Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef. Home to golden beaches and some of Tropical North Queensland's most exclusive resorts, the quiet former fishing village of Port Douglas is both sophisticated and relaxed and the perfect place to escape and unwind.
- Day 17 Port Douglas
- The next two days are free to relax and discover. Highly recommended is a visit to the Daintree National Park, where the coral reef meets the rainforest. Mossman Gorge, one of the most visited spots in the Daintree rainforest, is located just a 20 minute drive north of Port Douglas.
- Day 18 Port Douglas
- With so many activities on offer the sightseeing opportunities are endless. If you are an adrenalin seeker you can go crocodile spotting on the Daintree River or alternatively explore the pristine beaches of Cape Tribulation by 4WD. It was here in 1770 that Captain Cook ran the ship HMS Endeavour aground as he made his way up the coast documenting and recording his findings. Alternatively, if you're brave, take a flashlight and guided night walk through the jungle, that's when the animals are at their most active and the forest really comes to life.
- Day 19 Port Douglas
- Today your epic East Coast tour comes to an end. Return your rental vehicle and depart from Cairns.
A variety of accommodation options are available for this holiday. Please contact us for further details.
ExcursionsA wide variety of optional excursions are available to add to your holiday, some of which are listed below. Please enquire for further information.
Prices & Dates
Prices from £ per person
18 nights accommodation (based on a mix of mid range & superior hotels and bed & breakfasts including 2 nights at a Wilderness Retreat with Tree house accommodation) ● Rental of a Hertz standard vehicle (CCAR Toyota Corolla or similar - specific models may vary) ● 2 day / 1 night Fraser Island Explorer Tour ● 2 day / 1 night cruise on the Whitsundays ● Transfer on arrival in Sydney ● Full itinerary, Vouchers and atlas.
International flights and airport taxes ● Additional meals and excursions not specified ● Travel insurance ● Gratuities and items of a personal nature.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.