Experience the very heart of Australia aboard the legendary Ghan on this remarkable cross-country rail journey.
Following in the footsteps of the nations first pioneers, travel from Darwin via Nitmiluk National Park towards Alice Springs and Uluru. Continue through the mining town of Coober Pedy to arrive in South Australia’s capital, Adelaide a mere 4 days and nearly 3000km after departing the Top End’s tropical city of Darwin.
- Explore Nitmiluk National Park and the 23 million year old Katherine Gorge
- Enjoy gourmet lunches onboard in the renowned Queen Adelaide restaurant
- Discover the town of Alice Springs, the gateway to the Red Centre
- Enjoy an authentic Outback BBQ with Australiana music under the stars
- Discover the sun-scorched opal mining town of Coober Pedy
- Admire the rolling hills and vineyards of South Australia as you roll into Adelaide
- Revel in the fact you are crossing one of the Southern Hemisphere’s largest countries on one of the world’s most iconic rail journeys.
Along the way join a variety of off-train excursions, choosing your preference to suit your own interests and level of activity. For example, take an included cruise on Nitmiluk Gorge, experience the Outback at a cattle station or for a small additional cost upgrade to an unforgettable helicopter flight. At Alice take a guided Discovery Walk, explore the Desert Park or upgrade to a flight to Uluru. Other off-train highlights include a BBQ dinner at Alice's Telegraph Station and a day exploring the unique underground world of Coober Pedy.
Back on board the train swap tales with your fellow-travellers over a nightcap in the Outback Explorer Lounge, before being rocked gently to sleep in your cabin as the train continues its long journey south.
You may prefer to take an independent journey on board The Ghan, with the option to book shorter sectors eg travelling from Adelaide to Alice Springs. Find out more about this and Australia's other rail journeys here
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Darwin - Katherine
- This morning you will be collected from your Darwin accommodation and transferred to Darwin Rail Station, ready to commence your journey on the legendary Ghan. Sit down to a gourmet lunch with wine in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant as you pull out of Darwin heading south towards Katherine, gateway to Nitmiluk National Park. Here you will join your first off-train excursion, with the chance to cruise through the 23 million year old Katherine Gorge with its towering cliff faces above and freshwater crocodiles below. Gaze in awe at the towering cliffs as your guide regales you with the Aboriginal and geographical history of the area. Alternatively visit a local cattle station for an authentic outback experience, or upgrade to a scenic flight over Nitmiluk. Back on board the train enjoy a sumptuous dinner as the sun sets over the outback and your first day aboard The Ghan.
- Day 2: Katherine - Alice Springs
- Wake up to the sun rising over the glorious outback of Central Australia and enjoy breakfast as you near the town of Alice Springs. A full day off-train excursion allows you ample time to explore the delights of this iconic town. Choose a guided walk to Simpson's Gap, a town tour or a visit to the Alice Springs Desert Park. Or upgrade to a fixed wing flight over Uluru and Kata Tjuta, with an Uluru base tour. This evening enjoy a traditional Outback BBQ with live Australiana music and an informative astronomical talk as you cast your eyes skyward to the stars of the southern hemisphere. Later, reboard the train to continue the journey south.
- Day 3: Coober Pedy
- This morning awake in the heart of the outback at Manguri, one of Australia’s most remote train stops. Disembark The Ghan and be met by a friendly tour guide who will show you today’s destination – the sun scorched opal mining capital of the world, Coober Pedy. Venture into the tunnels and caves of this underground town where more than half the residents of the community reside. Explore the Serbian Orthodox church and enjoy a gourmet lunch below the earth’s surface before spending the afternoon admiring the rich ochre colours of the Breakaways. As sun sets, return to The Ghan for your last night on board the train.
- Day 4: Adelaide
- This morning as you look out of your window you will notice a dramatic change in the landscape around you. The red dusty tones of the outback pave way to the luscious green fields and pastoral lands of Southern Australia. After enjoying brunch on board, sit back and savour the views as you roll into Adelaide, gateway to the Barossa Valley and Kangaroo Island.
Accommodation throughout the holiday is on board The Ghan train.
Prices & Dates
Gold Service Cabin
Platinum Service Cabin
|Twin||Twin cabin for single occupency|
3 nights accommodation on board The Ghan in platinum or gold service ● Experienced local guides ● Off train excursions in Katherine, Alice Springs and Coober Pedy ● All meals and beverages on board The Ghan ● Hotel transfers from Darwin accommodation to rail station
International and domestic flights and airport taxes ● Fuel ● Travel insurance ● Personal expenses ● Tips and gratuities ● Additional excursion upgrades
Wednesdays, from April to October 2018
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.