Famous for its unique wildlife, Australia teems with native animals, many of which are found nowhere else on earth. This two week self-drive itinerary offers an array of opportunities to see some of the country's well-loved wildlife including the kangaroo, koala, platypus, echidna, wallaby and wombat as you journey from Melbourne to Adelaide via Tasmania.
- Enjoy time at leisure to discover Melbourne
- Explore World Heritage-listed Cradle Mountain National Park
- Visit Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary
- Take a full-day wilderness tour on Kangaroo Island
Melbourne & beyond
With four nights in trendy Melbourne, you'll have time to explore on foot, tram or push bike. Melbourne is also a great gateway to some of Australia's most amazing wildlife spots including Phillip Island, famous for the nightly parade of Little Penguins waddling along the beach.
From Melbourne, fly to Hobart in Tasmania in pursuit of further wildlife encounters. Visit a wildlife sanctuary to learn more about the endangered Tassie Devils, take a trip to Bruny Island in search of numerous endangered birds and explore the flora and fauna of spectacular Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park.
Continue to Adelaide in South Australia, the gateway to Kangaroo Island, a true nature lovers paradise and 'zoo without fences'. Get acquainted with the seals on the beach at Seal Bay or spot some of the 30,000-strong population of koalas nestled in the islands eucalyptus trees. 7 Koala Facts >
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive in Melbourne
- On arrival you will be met and transferred to your hotel. Spend the rest of today at leisure. You may like to wander the laneways and enjoy a lazy lunch or dinner overlooking the river or bay.
- Days 2: Melbourne
- Today you'll walk with wild animals in their natural habitat on a full day kangaroo and koalas tour. Walk through natural bush land to meet wild koalas and learn about their history and social life from your wildlife guide and koala researcher. Guests often get close enough to take photographs and observe the mighty kangaroos. The natural environment you'll visit is also home to parrots, fairy-wrens, emus, honeyeaters, possums, wallabies and lizards.
- Day 3: Melbourne
- This morning is at leisure for you to explore the city. You may like to enjoy a morning winery tour in the Yarra Valley or take to the skies to experience the Great Ocean Road from above. This afternoon you will be collected for your penguin parade wildlife tour which includes getting up close with koalas, kangaroos and wallabies at Moonlit Sanctuary and seeing hundreds of Little Penguins at the sunset penguin parade on Phillip Island.
- Day 4: Melbourne - Hobart
- Today you will fly to Hobart (flight cost not included). Upon arrival you'll be transferred to your hotel for a 3 night stay. Uncover Hobart's food, wine, and eclectic creativity at the galleries, bars and restaurants of MONA (the Museum of Old and New Art). The rest of your day is free to explore.
- Day 5: Hobart
- Today you'll take a cruise to Bruny Island to spot endangered birds and lots of other wildlife. Experience some of the Island's short walks, sites, history, culture, wildlife and gourmet food.
- Day 6: Hobart - Launceston (200km)
- Today please collect your rental car and make your way to cultural Launceston. Visit the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, one hour outside Hobart and home to over 80 free-roaming kangaroos plus wombats, koalas, birds, quolls and many amazing natives including the Tasmanian devils which are active during the day. Your entry will also help continue the work with education, conservation and rehabilitation of Tasmania's threatened wildlife. Your guide will share little-known facts about the wildlife and stories of orphaned animals. Continue on to Launceston.
- Day 7: Launceston - Cradle Mountain (178km)
- Today you will make the journey from Launceston to Cradle Mountain National Park for a 2 night stay at Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge. You may like to journey along the island's north-west coast and stop at the pretty port of Devonport. Spend the rest of your day at leisure.
- Day 8: Cradle Mountain
- Today is a free day to explore the World Heritage-listed Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park. Formed by glacial forces during the last Ice Age, the park has vegetation unlike anything you'll find on Australia's mainland. Walk round silent, mirrored Dove Lake, past waterfalls and through the myrtle beech and pencil pine of the Ballroom Forest. Or lose between one to five hours on one of the many walks including Hanson's Peak, Twisted Lakes, Lake Rodway and Lake Lila. Tonight join a Native Animal Night Viewing Tour available to book through your hotel.
- Day 9: Cradle Mountain - Launceston (178km)
- Today you will make the journey from Cradle Mountain to Launceston for your final nights stay in Tasmania.
- Day 10: Launceston - Adelaide
- Make your way to Launceston airport and return your rental vehicle. Today you'll fly from Launceston to Adelaide (flight cost not included). On arrival in Adelaide collect your rental vehicle and make your way into the city. This afternoon soak up Adelaide's colonial elegance in the spacious green parklands, bustling Adelaide Central Markets and the museums and libraries of North Terrace. Visit the picturesque villages in the Adelaide Hills and wind between world-class wineries in the nearby Barossa and Clare Valley.
- Day 11: Adelaide - Kangaroo Island
- Enjoy the leisurely drive through the scenic Fleurieu Peninsula to Cape Jarvis. Travel on the ferry to Kangaroo Island where you'll meet native wildlife and discover rugged rock formations and bush-cloaked national parks. Make your way to your accommodation and spend the rest of your day at leisure.
- Day 12: Kangaroo Island
- Today you'll enjoy a full day wilderness south coast tour including the Island's largest park, Flinders Chase. To begin you'll head to Seal Bay where your guide takes you on the beach for a fascinating, informed walk amongst the sea-lions. At Flinders Chase you have the opportunity to see an abundance of Australian native wildlife at Rocky River. From there you'll drive through dense forest to Admirals Arch and the colony of New Zealand fur seals. The ocean views are fantastic as you progress towards Remarkable Rocks. Marvel at this geological natural wonder of 'modern art' formed over 500 million years ago! Head back to Rocky River for a BBQ lunch.After lunch you will visit Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, 9,500 acres of protected land where an abundance of koalas easily seen in the ‘Tasmanian Blue Gums’ that grow in the area. At the end of the day you'll return to your accommodation.
- Day 13: Kangaroo Island
- Today is your final day at leisure in Kangaroo Island. You may like to spend the day exploring the capital of Kingscote or sampling some of Kangaroo Island’s diverse produce and wines. Alternatively head to the coast and walk part of the Kangaroo Island Wilderness Trail taking in the native wildlife and dramatic coastal vistas this island is famed for.
- Day 14: Kangaroo Island - Adelaide
- Today you will drive to Penneshaw and take the ferry back to Cape Jarvis and continue to Adelaide city for your final night. Spend this afternoon at leisure perhaps enjoying a nice meal along Rundle Street and Gouger Street, a popular dining strip.
- Day 15: Adelaide
- Make your way to Adelaide Airport and return your rental vehicle. Your journey of wonderful wildlife and majestic scenery concludes.
A variety of accommodation options are available for this holiday. Please contact us for further details.
ExcursionsA wide variety of optional excursions are available to add to your holiday, some of which are listed below. Please enquire for further information. Please note Kangaroos and Koalas in the Wild, Melbourne and Bonorong Wildlife Sactuary, Hobart are included with this holiday
Adelaide: An internationally renowned area of vineyards.
See Koalas and Kangaroos in the wild! Walk with wild animal…
Prices & Dates
Price from £ per person
14 nights accommodation (based on a mix of mid range & superior hotels and bed & breakfasts) ● Private transfer on arrival in Melbourne ● Rental of a Hertz standard vehicle (CCAR Toyota Corolla or similar - specific models may vary) ● Full day kangaroo and koala's tour ● Penguin Parade Afternoon Tour ● Private transfer on arrival in Hobart ● Full day Bruny Island tour ● Tasmanian wildlife refuge experience ● Full day Kangaroo Island 4WD Wilderness South Coast Tour ● Return ferry transfers to Kangaroo Island for 2 passengers and 1 vehicle ● Full itinerary, vouchers and atlas.
International flights and airport taxes ● Additional meals and excursions not specified ● Travel insurance ● Gratuities and items of a personal nature.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.