Uncover some of Canada’s most picturesque lakes on this leisurely self-drive journey from Vancouver through the spine of the Canadian Rockies to Calgary. Along the way you’ll stay in lodge style accommodation, positioned in areas of stunning natural beauty and tranquillity.
- Spend 2 nights at Emerald Lake Lodge in Yoho National Park
- Enjoy an Ice Explorer Ride onto the Athabasca Glacier (included)
- View the mountain forests and lakes from the Banff Gondola (included)
Starting in Vancouver and travelling to Gold Bridge, this itinerary includes 2 nights at Tyax Lodge, nestled on the shores of Tyaughton Lake. Offering a wide array of optional activities from western horseback riding to floatplane adventures over the Chilcotin Wilderness this spot provides the perfect location to start your Canadian adventure.
Your journey includes 2 nights in both Jasper and Banff where you have a number of activities included in the price of your holiday but also time at leisure to explore these charming mountain villages.
Travelling through the Rockies you will also enjoy a 1 night stay at the stunning Moraine Lake Lodge, situated on the shore of Morraine Lake, known for its iridescent turquoise colour, Moraine Lake has become known as The Jewel of the Rockies.
This self drive adventure takes in the very best scenery of British Columbia and Alberta, along the way you’ll encounter incredible blue lakes, sparkling waterfalls and glittering glaciers and at the end of each day you’ll enjoy comfortable lodge accommodation in truly stunning locations.
Summer in the Canadian Rockies
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1 Vancouver - Gold Bridge (233 km)
- This morning depart Vancouver along the scenic Sea-to-Sky Highway to Whistler. Highlights along the way include the cascading Shannon Falls and the Stawamus Chief Rock where climbers from all over the globe migrate to climb the granite cliffs. Continue on to Whistler where a stop is a must for a short stroll through this charming alpine resort before continuing on the Duffey Lake Road where you will see breathtaking views of Joffre Glacier. Continue on to Tyax Lodge, nestled on the shores on Tyaughton Lake.
- Day 2 Tyax Lodge
- Tyax offers a wide array of optional activities for all ages, including western horseback riding, guided fly fishing tours, gold panning lessons, mountain biking (on either gentle rolling or challenging single tracks), floatplane adventures over the Chilcotin Wilderness, or ATV (quad bike) safaris along old mining trails leading to the wildflower-carpeted alpine meadows.
- Day 3 Gold Bridge - Lac Le Jeune (327 km)
- Return through Lillooet known as the land of the Gold Rush Trail and ‘Mile Zero’ of the Old Caribou Wagon Road during the Gold Rush Years. Make your way onto Lac Le Jeune Resort, located in a stunning wilderness setting where fish jump from the glassy surface of the lake and ospreys soar overhead. Please note this rustic lodge offers peace and relaxation without having phones or televisions in the rooms.
- Day 4 Lac Le Jeune - Jasper (478 km)
- Today follow the Thompson River through rolling plateaus to the snowy peaks of the Monashee Mountains. View Pyramid Falls and the expansive glaciers of the Albreda Icefields. Pass by Mount Robson, which is the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies at 3954 metres (12,972 feet); and continue onto the resort town of Jasper, for a 2 night stay at Jasper Park Lodge. Set deep in the Canadian Rockies, Jasper Park Lodge embodies the peace, tranquillity and natural beauty that make these parks so famous. Whether you are looking for a relaxing day by the pool or a beautiful horseback ride into the mountains, this deluxe lodge is the place to stay.
- Day 5 Jasper
- Today explore this charming mountain village close to many terrific scenic highlights. Take a tram ride up Whistlers Mountain or a boat cruise on Maligne Lake (not included), in the evening soak in the pools at Miette Hot Springs, and watch the sunset over Pyramid and Patricia Lakes (included).
- Day 6 Jasper - Moraine Lake (237 km)
This morning depart on the scenic Icefields Parkway that takes you through the spine of the Canadian Rockies. You view a never-ending procession of mammoth mountains, jagged peaks, over 100 glaciers and pristine emerald coloured lakes. Along the way see such sights as the Columbia Icefield and take an Ice Explorer ride out onto the glacier (included). Also watch for the Sarbach Glacier, Peyto Lake, Bow Lake, with the Bow Glacier providing the backdrop, and Crowfoot Glacier before your arrival at Moraine Lake Lodge. This lodge is situated on the shore of Moraine Lake, known for its iridescent turquoise colour, Moraine Lake has become known as The Jewel of the Rockies.
Please note: Mountain lakes in this region will be frozen through to mid-June.
- Day 7 Moraine Lake - Emerald Lake (36 km)
Enjoy a short drive today through majestic mountain passes into Yoho National Park. The word Yoho is the Cree word expressing awe. This national park is filled with gem-coloured glacial lakes and waterfalls, snow-covered peaks and dense forests of western red cedar and western hemlock. Historic railroads, spiral tunnels within mountain sides and steep rock faces where mountain goats roam are just some of the sights to be seen. Other Yoho marvels include a natural rock bridge over the Kicking Horse River, Hoodoos, some of Canada’s highest waterfalls and the Burgess Shale fossil find where over 120 marine animal species dating back as far as 530 million years were discovered.
Breakfast & dinner included.
- Day 8 Emerald Lake Lodge
Built of hand-hewn timber and featuring massive stone fireplaces, this lodge includes a formal dining room, a quiet reading and a sitting room. From the upper or lower large verandahs, enjoy the serene views of this wilderness landscape.
Breakfast & dinner included.
- Day 9 Emerald Lake - Banff (93 km)
Enjoy the leisurely drive to Banff. Choose the Bow Valley Parkway, beside the Bow River, with an option for you to take a stop at Johnston Canyon and walk along the paved footpath to either the lower or upper waterfalls before continuing to Banff. This afternoon, explore Banff and the surrounding area. In town you’ll find lots of excitement - shopping, cafés, nightlife and museums.
- Day 10 Banff
- Spend today at leisure exploring Banff. Check out the Cave and Basin National Historic Site, Banff Gondola (included) where you will see a panoramic view of the Bow Valley, and then take a dip in the hot mineral pools at the Upper Hot Springs.
- Day 11 Banff - Calgary (115 km)
- Make your way to Calgary today. En route, you may wish to stop at the historic Cochrane Ranch (not included) before dropping off your rental car in Calgary, here your Rockies adventure ends.
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Overlooking Lac Beauvert just outside the township of Ja…
Moraine Lake Lodge
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Unique and Boutique
Hidden in a spectacular valley of the Canadian Rocky Mou…
Emerald Lake Lodge, Yoho National Park
- Grade: Superior Room only
- Type: Luxury Lodge
With its century-old fireplaces and an oak bar salvaged …
The above is a selection of accommodation available for this holiday. Other options are available based on your preferred category. Please contact us for further details.
ExcursionsA number of excursions are included in this itinerary, some of which are listed in more detail below. Your Travel Specialist will be able to advise on additional or upgraded excursion options to suit your interests.
Prices & Dates
Price from £1,852 per person, based on superior lodge accommodation and intermediate vehicle rental
Departs daily from 15 Jun to 25 September 2018
10 nights room only accommodation ● 11 days car hire (Intermediate or Full Size) ● 3 breakfasts & 2 dinners ● Admission to either Banff Upper Hot Springs or Miette Hot Springs, Jasper ● Ice Explorer ride onto the Athabasca Glacier ● Sulphur Mountain Gondola Ride ● Exclusive travel documentation including itinerary details, vouchers, maps, driving directions and a Lonely Planet guidebook.
Flights ● Meals and additional excursions not specified above ● Personal travel insurance (Discover the World offers a comprehensive policy - please contact our team for details) ● Additional airline or airport taxes or security charges, that are payable locally ● Gratuities & items of a personal nature ● Road tolls ● Hotel car parking fees - approx CA$20 per day, payable locally, prices vary.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.