Situated on the vast Arctic tundra outside Churchill is the unique Tundra Lodge. Spend four nights here in the midst of polar bear country. Observe wildlife in safety and comfort from sunrise to sunset and experience fantastic polar bear viewing, exploring in specially designed vehicles or watching from observation platforms.
Every autumn hundreds of polar bears gather at the edge of Hudson Bay, awaiting the winter freeze. The Tundra Lodge provides the chance to immerse yourself among these mighty creatures, with its strategic location offering unparalleled viewing opportunities.
- Spend 24 hours a day right in the heart of polar bear country
- Chance to see the northern lights from the comfort of the unique Tundra Lodge
- Explore the frozen shores of Hudson Bay on a Polar Rover, in search of Arctic wildlife
Your ‘rolling hotel’ is built on wheels, designed rather like a train, and is carefully positioned at the start of each season in an area with the highest concentration of bears. Located on a small spit of land that juts out into the Hudson Bay, this isolated spot is where the ice first begins to form on the bay, attracting polar bears from the very start of the bear-viewing season.
During your stay at the Tundra Lodge you will explore the shores of Hudson Bay in specially designed Polar Rovers, carrying just 15 passengers to ensure maximum space and comfort aboard. When not out exploring, time at the lodge can be equally rewarding with bears seen ambling across the tundra right outside the windows. Large outdoor observation platforms provide the ideal spot from which to take photos and take a closer look at the animals as they roam wild in their natural habitat.
As the day draws to an end there is no need to return to town – you can relax over dinner, listen to presentations or retire to your private guest cabin, all the time keeping watch through the windows as the sun sets. And once darkness falls you may be lucky enough to witness a dazzling display of the northern lights, from the comfort of your hotel!
The Polar Rover
Permitted to travel right into the protected Churchill Wildlife Management Area, the fully heated Polar Rover is a specially designed vehicle offering unique steel-mesh viewing platforms, an elite suspension system and on-board flush toilet facilities. With a capacity of 35 passengers, each vehicle is limited to just 15 to ensure maximum comfort and a guaranteed window seat for all guests. All emissions from this package are 100% carbon-offset.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Arrive in Winnipeg and transfer to the historic Fort Garry Hotel. Built in 1913 by the Canadian Pacific Railway, this prestigious landmark has long been a symbol of genteel elegance in the heart of Manitoba's capital, which was once a fur-trading post and railway boomtown. Meet your Expedition Leader at an orientation dinner this evening.
- Day 2: Winnipeg - Tundra Lodge, Churchill
- Fly to Churchill and explore this remote community on a guided tour with your Expedition Leader, before transferring to the Tundra Lodge. As you leave town watch out for wildlife against the vast Arctic landscape; you may catch your first glimpse of polar bear. On arrival at the lodge enjoy an informative presentation about polar bears before dinner – make sure you keep your camera handy at all times as polar bears may pass right by the windows.
- Days 3-5: Tundra Lodge, Churchill
- The Tundra Lodge is strategically positioned at the beginning of each season in the best area for bear viewing. Inquisitive bears often approach the lodge, which features rows of windows and safe outdoor observation decks to accommodate our own curiosity. The unique location of the Tundra Lodge, combined with excursions in Polar Rovers (special all-terrain tundra vehicles) ensures the best possible wildlife encounters. The small spit of land where the lodge is located often attracts the highest concentration of bears in the entire area. During your stay at the lodge you will take half-day excursions in the Polar Rover to search for bears, and spend time at the lodge as the bears come to you. In addition to polar bears, you may also spot caribou, Arctic fox, Arctic hare, snowy owl and ptarmigan. At the end of each day discuss the day’s events over dinner at the lodge, listen to talks about the Arctic and the region’s wildlife, and, conditions permitting, perhaps enjoy the spectacular aurora borealis streaking across the night sky.
- Day 6: Churchill - Winnipeg
- Depart the Tundra Lodge today, scouting for more polar bears and other Arctic wildlife as you head back to Churchill. Back in Churchill, a special highlight this morning is a traditional dog sled ride. You'll meet a local musher and his team, spending time with the enthusiastic huskies before taking turns riding behind them on a thrilling excursion through the boreal forest. If time permits, you may be able to pick up a few northern handicrafts and souvenirs or take an optional helicopter tour over the tundra before flying to Winnipeg.
- Day 7: Winnipeg
- After breakfast, transfer to the airport.
- We also offer a 6-day variation of this tour which includes just 3 nights at the Tundra Lodge and 2 nights in Winnipeg. Please contact us for full details.
This holiday includes standard hotel accommodation in Winnipeg & Churchill. Please contact us for further details.
Prices & Dates
5 nights / 6 days
|October 2018||21, 28||£6,393 per person (twin share)|
|November 2018||04, 16||£6,393 per person (twin share)|
6 nights / 7 days
|October 2018||17, 24, 31||£7,316 per person (twin share)|
|November 2018||07||£7,316 per person (twin share)|
Return flight from Winnipeg to Churchill ● All airport-hotel transfers ● 2 nights accommodation in Winnipeg ● 4 (or 3) nights accommodation at the Tundra Lodge, near Churchill ● All meals ● Beer and wine at the Tundra Lodge ● Dog sledding excursion ● Loan of cold-weather gear including a parka and boots ● Services of a professional Natural Habitat Expedition Leader and assistants ● Evening wildlife and cultural presentations ● Permits & park fees ● All taxes and service charges ● Northern Lights Bradt Guide Book
International flights to Winnipeg ● Tips, gratuities and personal expenses ● Alcoholic beverages ● Airport taxes ● Travel insurance
Group size: maximum 29
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.