The iconic polar bear experience, this small group adventure includes two full days and an evening excursion onto the Arctic tundra. Search for wildlife and hope for a display of the aurora borealis overhead. Travelling with a small group of just 16 passengers, enjoy unobstructed views over the Arctic tundra as you watch for polar bears and other wildlife including Arctic hare, Arctic fox and even snowy owls.
- See the world’s greatest concentration of polar bears in the intimacy of a small group
- Travel on board the specially-designed Polar Rover for optimal viewing opportunities
- Chance to see the northern lights during an evening on the tundra
This itinerary includes two full days on the tundra, plus an evening excursion during which you may be lucky enough to witness the northern lights. During your stay in the frontier settlement of Churchill you will also take a guided tour of the town and its surroundings, and learn more about the area and its incredible wildlife during some informative evening presentations. The wilderness of the far north contrasts with the modern city of Winnipeg, where you should have some free time available to explore.
Our groups are the smallest in Churchill, making for a more personal experience with unobstructed views and a window seat for everyone.
The Polar Rover
Permitted to travel right into the protected Churchill Wildlife Management Area, the fully heated Polar Rover is a specially designed vehicle offering unique steel mesh-floored viewing platforms, an elite suspension system and on-board flush toilet facilities. With a capacity of 35 passengers, this trip is limited to just 16 to ensure maximum comfort and a guaranteed window seat for all guests. All emmissons from this package are 100% carbon-offset. discover more about Polar Rovers
Contact our Canada experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Arrive in Winnipeg, once a fur-trading post and boomtown for the Canadian Pacific Railway, today Manitoba’s cultural and commercial capital at the eastern edge of Canada’s vast prairies. Transfer to the historic Fort Garry Hotel, one of the city’s most prestigious landmarks. Meet your Expedition Leader at an orientation dinner this evening.
- Day 2: Winnipeg - Churchill
- Fly to Churchill on a private charter flight. Originally a fur-trading post, Churchill is home to just under a thousand people and, every autumn, to hundreds of polar bears that congregate at the edge of Hudson Bay. After dinner enjoy an evening presentation on the Arctic’s wildlife and landscapes.
- Days 3-4: Polar Bears, Churchill
- Spend two full days on the Arctic tundra, in search of the polar bears that gather here as they wait for the ice to solidify on Hudson Bay. You may see mothers with cubs, young males play-fighting, or a lone bear ambling over the tundra in solitary majesty. Your knowledgeable Expedition Leader will offer interpretation along the way, explaining the bears’ behavior and how they thrive in such a harsh environment. Each evening travel back to town for dinner and presentations on the wildlife or cultural aspects of life in the North.
- Day 5: Town & Tundra, Churchill
- Tour historic Churchill with your Expedition Leader, perhaps visiting local sled dogs en route to Cape Merry, where Arctic fox and Arctic hare are often spotted. Later, head out to the tundra for an evening of bear viewing, with dinner aboard the Polar Rover. If the skies are clear this nighttime tundra excursion might reveal another of nature’s most amazing sights – the aurora borealis.
- Day 6: Churchill - Winnipeg
- A highlight this morning is an authentic dog sled ride. Meet a local musher and his team and spend time with the lively and affectionate dogs before taking turns riding behind them on an exhilarating trot through the boreal forest. If time permits, you may be able to pick up last-minute locally made handicrafts, relax over a hot chocolate in a local cafe, or even take an optional helicopter tour over the tundra before you fly back to Winnipeg.
- Day 7: Winnipeg
- Transfer to the airport after breakfast.
There is also a 6 day tour. On the 6-day itinerary, your sled dog excursion takes place on day 5 with a return to Winnipeg that afternoon, and flights home scheduled for day 6. On the 7-day itinerary, the nighttime tundra trip occasionally alternates between day 4 and day 5. Itineraries may vary slightly, but inclusions are the same.
This holiday includes standard hotel accommodation in Winnipeg & Churchill. Please contact us for further details.
Prices & Dates
Departures - 5 nights / 6 days:
|October 2018||13, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31||£5,162 per person (twin share)|
|November 2018||01, 02, 03, 05, 07, 09, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15||£5,162 per person (twin share)|
Departures - 6 nights / 7 days:
|October 2018||16, 17, 19, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30||£5,547 per person (twin share)|
|November 2018||02, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 13, 14||£5,547 per person (twin share)|
Return flight from Winnipeg to Churchill ● All airport-hotel transfers ● 2 nights accommodation in Winnipeg ● 4 (or 3) nights accommodation in Churchill ● All meals ● Dog sledding excursion ● Loan of cold-weather gear including a parka and boots ● Services of a professional Natural Habitat Expedition Leader and assistants ● All tundra excursions, permits and entrance fees as per the itinerary ● Evening wildlife and cultural presentations ● All taxes and service charges ● Northern Lights Bradt Guide Book
International flights to Winnipeg ● Tips, gratuities and personal expenses ● Alcoholic beverages ● Airport taxes ● Travel insurance
Group size: maximum 16
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.