The Great Bear Rainforest of Western British Columbia is home to orcas, eagles, wolves, black bears, grizzlies, and the rare and mysterious white Kermode (Spirit) bear. Cruising the remote islands and inlets of this special area is the ideal way to experience its diverse wildlife.
Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the Coast Mountain Range on the west coast of British Columbia, the ancient Great Bear Rainforest is one of the largest tracts of temperate rainforest left in the world.
- chance to see the rare Kermode bear
- see whales frolic in the waters
- watch grizzly bear fish for salmon
- scenic delights including magnificent waterfalls and ancient Petroglyphs
- explore the protected waters using stable sea kayaks
- small-ship cruise experience, with an onboard naturalist
The rare Kermode bear, also known as the Spirit bear, is a unique subspecies of the black bear, in which one in ten cubs display a distinctive white coloured coat.
You will be sailing on board the 16-passenger 68 foot ketch, Island Roamer, or her sister-ship the Island Odyssey. Or new for 2018 is the flagship yatch SV Island Solitude, at 82' long and 30% larger than Island Roamer and Island Odyssey. Each of the vessels offer comfortable cabins, a well-stocked library and lounge area, and plenty of deck space for wildlife-spotting.
Contact our Canada experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Bella Bella - Great Bear Rainforest
- You will be met upon arrival in Bella Bella and transferred to the top of the Municipal Dock on the Bella Bella waterfront. Upon boarding the ship, cabins will be assigned, an introductory safety briefing completed and then you will set sail for the Great Bear Rainforest. Each night you will anchor in a different, secluded anchorage.
- Days 2-3: Fiordland Provincial Protected Area, Great Bear Rainforest
- Head deep into the coastal mountains to explore the Fiordland Provincial Protected Area. Kynoch Inlet has some spectacular rock faces and waterfalls. Visit remote estuaries and hope to see bears attracted by the spawning salmon. You may visit the native village of Klemtu to see the new longhouse, recently built for the local community.
- Days 4-7: Princess Royal Island, Great Bear Rainforest
- Travel along the shore of Princess Royal Island - the best known area for seeing the rare Spirit or Kermode bears. These bears are actually black bears with a recessive gene that makes about ten percent of the bears in this area all-white. Visit creeks and river estuaries and keep an eye out along the shoreline. Khutze Inlet has a beautiful river valley, an abundance of birdlife and bears are often seen along the shore. Spend a day with local Tshimshian guides, as they share their favourite wildlife viewing areas, ancient sites and intriguing art. In Whale Channel expect to see humpback whales.
- Day 8: Bella Bella
- Return to Bella Bella late morning.
Please note on certain dates embarkation or disembarkation is at Prince Rupert or Terrace instead of Bella Bella. Our sales team will be pleased to assist with your travel arrangements by air or by ferry to the applicable start point.
Prices & Dates
Prices are £ per person, based on twin-share cabins.
|26 Aug 2018||Bella Bella||Terrace||SV Island Solitude||£4,390|
|27 Aug 2018||Bella Bella||Terrace||Island Roamer||£3,528|
|03 Sep 2018||Terrace||Bella Bella||SV Island Solitude||£4,390|
|04 Sep 2018||Terrace||Bella Bella||Island Roamer||£3,528|
|06 Sep 2018||Terrace||Terrace||Island Odyssey||£3,528|
|11 Sep 2018||Bella Bella||Terrace||SV Island Solitude||£4,390|
|12 Sep 2018||Bella Bella||Terrace||Island Roamer||£3,528|
|14 Sep 2018||Terrace||Terrace||Island Odyssey||£3,528|
|19 Sep 2018||Terrace||Bella Bella||SV Island Solitude||£4,390|
|20 Sep 2018||Terrace||Bella Bella||Island Roamer||£3,528|
|22 Sep 2018||Terrace||Bella Bella||Island Odyssey||£3,528|
|27 Sep 2018||Bella Bella||Bella Bella||SV Island Solitude||£4,390|
|28 Sep 2018||Bella Bella||Bella Bella||Island Roamer||£3,528|
|05 Oct 2018||Bella Bella||Bella Bella||SV Island Solitude||£4,390|
Return transfers from airport to dock ● 7 nights twin-share ship-board accommodation ● All meals from lunch on day 1 until breakfast on day 8, wine is included with dinner ● Services of a naturalist guide for the duration of the cruise ● Parks, First Nations and forestry service fees ● Sustainability Fee
Flights - please contact us for best available fares ● any additional meals not specified above ● Personal travel insurance (Discover the World offers a comprehensive policy - please contact our team for details) ● Additional airline or airport taxes or security charges, that are payable locally ● Gratuities & items of a personal nature
Minimum group size 8 people
Maximum group size 16 people
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.