This compact itinerary incorporates the main highlights of the Canadian Rockies in a memorable week’s adventure. Travel on the renowned Rocky Mountaineer train and drive along the awe-inspiring Icefields Parkway, often said to be one of the most scenic drives in the world.
- View mountains and rivers from the comfort of the Rocky Mountaineer (included)
- Relax in the Banff Upper Hot Springs (included)
- Marvel at Maligne Lake's stunning shoreline of thick forests and glacial peaks
- Head out onto the shimmering Athabasca Glacier (included)
- Take a gondola ride to the top of Sulphur Mountain(included)
The Rocky Mountaineer offers a world-renowned rail journey between Vancouver and Jasper, travelling through some of Canada’s most spectacular mountain scenery. The 2-day journey includes an overnight stay in a hotel in Kamloops, before continuing on to Jasper in the heart of the national park where you will collect your rental car.
Your itinerary includes a full day at leisure in both Jasper and Banff, allowing plenty of time to enjoy Canada’s landscapes, culture and wildlife. Drive the Icefields Parkway via Lake Louise and enjoy an included excursion onto the Columbia Icefield; relax in Banff’s Upper Hot Springs and enjoy magnificent views from the top of Sulphur Mountain.
Contact our Canada experts now
We had great weather, saw loads of wildlife, the landscape, especially in the national parks, was outstanding, and then to top it off the cowboys at the Calgary Stampede were just so exciting!Petra Neumayer, Tailor made honeymoon
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Vancouver - Kamloops (Rocky Mountaineer)
- Board the Rocky Mountaineer train at Vancouver's Pacific Central Station. Pass through the rich fields of the Fraser River Valley and the towering peaks of the Coastal Mountains before entering the Fraser Canyon. Follow the Thompson River through spectacular landscapes to historic Kamloops, gateway to the interior of British Columbia. Breakfast and lunch included.
- Day 2: Kamloops - Jasper (Rocky Mountaineer)
- Back on board the Rocky Mountaineer follow the Thompson River through rolling plateaus to the snowy peaks of the Monashee Mountains. View Pyramid Falls and the expansive glaciers of the Albreda Icefields. Pass by Mount Robson, at 3954 metres (12,972 feet), which is the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies. Upon arrival into Jasper you will be transferred by taxi to your hotel. Breakfast and lunch included.
- Day 3: Jasper
- This morning collect your rental vehicle. Explore this charming mountain village close to many terrific scenic highlights. Take a tram ride up Whistlers mountain, or visit Maligne Lake, one of the most photographed lakes in the world, and enjoy a 90 minute cruise heading toward the south end of this postcard setting (Maligne Lake cruise not included). You will marvel at the magnificent shoreline with dense forest and glacial peaks rising abruptly from the water’s edge. Stopping at Spirit Island, you will have the opportunity to take your own version of the world famous photograph of the lake.
- Day 4: Jasper - Lake Louise (208 km)
- This morning depart on the scenic drive that takes you through the spine of the Canadian Rockies. You view a never-ending procession of mammoth mountains, jagged peaks, over one hundred glaciers and pristine emerald-coloured lakes. Along the way see famous sights such as the Columbia Icefield, where you can take a snocoach ride out onto the glacier itself (included). Also watch for the Sarbach Glacier, Peyto Lake, Bow Lake, with the Bow Glacier providing the backdrop, and Crowfoot Glacier before your arrival into Lake Louise. (Please note: Mountain lakes in this region will be frozen through to mid June).
- Day 5: Lake Louise - Banff (62 km)
- Take the short drive from Lake Louise to Banff today, travelling along the Bow Valley Parkway. This runs beside the Bow River with an option for you to take a stop at Johnston Canyon and walk along the paved footway to either the lower or upper waterfalls before continuing to Banff.
- Day 6: Banff
- A full day at leisure to explore Banff and the surrounding area. Check out the Cave & Basin National Historic Site (not included) and the Banff Gondola (included) where you will see a panoramic view of the Bow Valley, and then take a dip in the natural mineral pools at the Upper Hot Springs (included).
- Day 7: Banff - Calgary (115 km)
- Drive to Calgary today, along the 1A Highway. En route, you may wish to stop at the historic Cochrane Ranch before dropping off your rental car at the Calgary International Airport or downtown depot.
This itinerary can also be travelled in reverse, from Calgary to Vancouver. To find out more, or to discuss extending your stay with additional nights in these cities at the beginning or end of your holiday, please contact our Travel Specialists for advice.
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Overlooking Lac Beauvert just outside the township of Ja…
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
- Grade: Deluxe
- Type: Hotel
Located within Banff National Park on the shores of beau…
The above is a selection of accommodation available for this holiday. Other options are available based on your preferred category. Please contact us for further details.
ExcursionsA number of excursions are included in this itinerary, some of which are listed in more detail below. Your Travel Specialist will be able to advise on additional or upgraded excursion options to suit your interests.
Prices & Dates
Price from £1,638 per person, based on twin-share Standard accommodation, Rocky Mountaineer train in Silver Leaf Service and intermediate rental vehicle. Prices vary subject to departure date.
Departures Eastbound from Vancouver
|May 2018||01, 04, 08, 11, 15, 18, 22, 25, 29|
|June 2018||01, 05, 08, 12, 15, 19, 22, 26, 29|
|July 2018||03, 06, 10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27, 31|
|August 2018||03, 07, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, 31|
|September 2018||04, 07, 11, 14, 18, 21, 25, 28|
|October 2018||02, 05, 09|
Westbound from Calgary
|May 2018||01, 05, 08, 12, 15, 19, 22, 26, 29|
|June 2018||02, 05, 09, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30|
|July 2018||03, 07, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, 31|
|August 2018||04, 07, 11, 14, 18, 21, 25, 28|
|September 2018||01, 04, 08, 11, 15, 18, 22, 25, 29|
|October 2018||02, 06, 09|
6 nights room only accommodation in the category of your choice (Standard, Superior or Deluxe) ● 5 days car hire (Intermediate or Full Size) ● Admission to either Banff Upper Hot Springs or Miette Hot Springs Jasper ● Ice Explorer ride onto the Athabasca Glacier ● Sulphur Mountain Gondola, Banff ● Rocky Mountaineer train* ● 2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches onboard Rocky Mountaineer ● Taxi transfer from Jasper Rail Station to your hotel ● Exclusive travel documentation including itinerary details, vouchers, maps, driving directions and a Lonely Planet guidebook.
Flights and airport taxes ● Additional meals not specified above ● Personal travel insurance ● Gratuities & items of a personal nature ● Road tolls ● National Park fees ● Hotel car parking fees - approx CA$20 per day, payable locally, prices vary.
Rocky Mountaineer will be in SilverLeaf Service for Standard and Superior categories and GoldLeaf for the Deluxe category.
Optional upgrade to Rocky Mountaineer's Gold Leaf carriage is available from £368 per person
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.