The Islands of Haida Gwaii are one of the richest biological and cultural areas in Canada. Known as the 'Galapagos of the North', Haida Gwaii is an incredibly abundant area, rich in marine wildlife and home to ancient Haida villages and impressive pole carvings. On this cruise adventure you'll get close to nature whilst travelling in a small group vessel to minimise the impact on the environment.
- Encounter abundant marine wildlife including blue whales, humpback and orcas
- Go in search of the world's largest black bears
- Relax in the natural hot springs surrounded by enchanted flora and fauna on Hot Springs Island
- Anchor in secluded bays surrounded by pristine wilderness
- Listen to Haida stories and learn about the traditional and modern Haida way of life
Cruise the waters of this remote archipelago seeing ancient Haida villages, an incredible abundance of wildlife and outstanding wilderness scenery. In June 2010, Canada's first marine protected area was announced surrounding the islands. This cruise primarily explores the eastern and southern shores which lie within the Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve & Haida Heritage Site. Gwaii Haanas is an incredible area with over 100 islands, beautiful forested creek walks, rugged headlands, and protected passageways between towering mountains.
Blue, sperm, minke, sei, gray, fin, humpback and orca whales all frequent these waters. In early summer, several thousand Steller sea lions also congregate at Cape St. James, located at the southern tip of Haida Gwaii, to mate and give birth to their pups, quite a marvellous sight! You may also spot a few Queen Charlotte Islands black bears, the largest black bears in the world. Through isolation from their mainland cousins these black bears have developed a larger lower jaw because of frequent foraging and feeding along the shoreline. You'll also see a variety of interesting birds. Some of the more colourful species include tufted puffins, horned puffins and black-footed albatross. With such abundant bird life, raptors, such as the peregrine falcon, are also common in Haida Gwaii.
You will be sailing on board the 16-passenger 68 foot ketch, Island Roamer, or new for 2018 is the flagship yatch Island Solitude, which is 82' long and 30% larger than the Island Roamer. Both vessels offer comfortable cabins, a well-stocked library and lounge area, and plenty of deck space for wildlife-spotting.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive Sandspit, Haida Gwaii
- Enjoy one night in Sandspit before your sailing adventure begins.
- Day 2: Sandspit and Moresby Island, Haida Gwaii
- Enjoy breakfast at the Sandspit Inn. Today you will enjoy a trip to Graham Island for a tour of the Haida Heritage Centre and a traditional Haida lunch. In the afternoon you'll travel to Moresby Camp to board Island Roamer. Settle into your cabin and enjoy dinner onboard. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
- Days 3-7: Moresby Island, Haida Gwaii
- You will spend the next few days exploring the eastern and southern shores of Moresby Island. Daily activities include wildlife watching, shore excursions to explore ancient Haida villages, old growth forests, beautiful creeks and shoreline, and intertidal zones. Subject to conditions you'll hopefully spot humpback whales, porpoise, dolphins, sea lions and orcas. You'll search the shoreline in hopes of spotting a few Gwaii Haanas black bears foraging for food and you'll be amazed by the myriad of intertidal creatures found in the nutrient-rich channels. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
- Day 8: Sandspit and Moresby Island, Haida Gwaii
- Depart mid- morning at Moresby Camp. A charter bus will be available to transfer you to Sandspit Airport for afternoon flights back to Vancouver. Breakfast included.
*If your tour is a 9 day tour, there will be more time spent at above places.
Prices & Dates
Prices are per person based on twin-share cabins.
|24 May 2018||9 days *||Island Solitude||£4,466|
|01 June 2018||9 days *||Island Solitude||£4,466|
|07 June 2018||9 days **||Island Roamer||£3,598|
|09 June 2018||9 days *||Island Solitude||£4,466|
|15 June 2018||9 days *||Island Roamer||£3,598|
|17 June 2018||9 days *||Island Solitude||£4,466|
|23 June 2018||9 days *||Island Roamer||£3,598|
|26 June 2018||8 days **||Island Solitude||£4,019|
|03 July 2018||8 days *||Island Solitude||£4,019|
|10 July 2018||8 days *||Island Solitude||£4,019|
|17 July 2018||8 days **||Island Solitude||£4,019|
|25 July 2018||8 days *||Island Solitude||£4,019|
|01 August 2018||8 days *||Island Solitude||£4,019|
|08 August 2018||8 days *||Island Solitude||£4,019|
|15 August 2018||8 days *||Island Solitude||£4,019|
All departures embark and disembark at Sandspit, Moresby Island, Haida Gwaii.
* Includes Museum & Haida lunch land tour
** Includes Museum & Haida dinner land tour
Return transfers from airport to dock ● 1 pre-night at Sandspit Inn ● twin-share ship-board accommodation ● All meals from breakfast on day 2 until breakfast on the last day, wine is included with dinner ● Services of a naturalist guide for the duration of the cruise ● Parks, First Nations and forestry service fees ● Sustainability Fee ● Museum & Haida land lunch / dinner tour
International flights & domestic flights to Sandspit - please contact us for best available fares ● any additional meals not specified above ● Personal travel insurance (Discover the World offers a comprehensive policy - please contact our team for details) ● Additional airline or airport taxes or security charges, that are payable locally ● Gratuities & items of a personal nature
Minimum group size 8 people
Maximum group size 16 people
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.