This self-drive journey travels through the wild magnificence of Canada’s Pacific Coast and is the ideal option for nature enthusiasts, couples and families. Explore the coastal landscapes and wildlife-rich habitats of Vancouver Island where you might encounter a pod of orca, or witness black bears. Drive the Sea to Sky Highway to alpine Whistler and enjoy time in the laid-back city of Victoria.
From the spectacular mountain resort town of Whistler to the quintessential ‘Britishness’ of Victoria, via the Sunshine Coast and the many islands of the Strait of Georgia, this journey promises one memorable day after another, perfect for those travelling with children.
- climb to the top of Whistler or Blackcomb by gondola for first-rate views (included)
- wonder at the giants of the deep, gray and orca whales, in Clayoquot Sound (included)
- go in search of black bears in their natural habitat on the Toba Inlet (included)
- enjoy the renowned Butchart Gardens in Victoria (included)
Utilising the excellent network of BC Ferries you will enjoy the chance to relax and enjoy the region’s abundant marine-life as you travel. Explore the highlights of Vancouver Island at your own pace with 2-night stays in Victoria and Pacific Rim National Park, as well as 2-nights on beautiful Quadra Island.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Vancouver - Whistler (122 km)
- Depart Vancouver along the scenic Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler. Highlights along the way include the cascading Shannon Falls and the Stawamus Chief Rock where climbers from all over the globe migrate to climb the granite cliffs. Arrive into Whistler in the afternoon.
- Day 2: Whistler
- This charming alpine resort is nestled between world-renowned Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. Enjoy an extensive range of summer activities from golf on one of the 4 championship designer golf courses, water activities on any of the 5 lakes or numerous rivers, to mountain top dining or just relax and enjoy some of the many fine cafes, and restaurants if this European inspired alpine village. Take the Peak 2 Peak Gondola to Whistler Mountain's sub-alpine and then rise to 2181m (7155ft) via Whistler's premier open chairlift. At the top you'll be treated to unbelievable views of glaciers, extinct volvanoes, snow-capped peaks and more.
- Day 3: Whistler - Sunshine Coast (244 km)
- Return down the Sea to Sky highway to Horseshoe Bay and enjoy a relaxing ferry journey to the Sunshine Coast. This scenic cruise takes you through fjord-like waters with mountains blanketed with virgin forests and glaciated peaks. At Langdale disembark the ferry and drive the leisurely and stunningly scenic route to your overnight accommodation.
- Day 4: Sunshine Coast
- The beautiful natural landscape of Canada's Pacific Coast will allow you to take part in a host of outdoor adventures today. The lodge’s well-trained guides work with all ages to provide an unforgettable recreational experience - or alternatively, just sit back, relax and enjoy the coast.
- Day 5: Sunshine Coast - Quadra Island (78 km)
- Travel north to Earls Cove for a 50 minute ferry ride to Saltery Bay. Continue following the coast to Powell River to board another ferry service across the Strait of Georgia to Vancouver Island. Continue north to Campbell River and your destination Quadra Island.
- Day 6: Quadra Island
- Enjoy a memorable cruise by Zodiac through breathtaking Desolation Sound. Explore the majestic Toba Inlet to seek out Black Bears in their natural habitat.
- Day 7: Quadra Island - Pacific Rim National Park (225 km)
- Depart Quadra Island on a short ferry ride back to Vancouver Island and head west to Tofino on the rugged West Coast. En route, you may wish to stop at at Cathedral Grove, to enjoy a walk amongst 800 year old Douglas fir and cedar trees. Continue through the majestic Sutton Pass and the Sawtooth Range of the Cascade Mountains to arrive in Tofino or or Ucluelet around mid afternoon.
- Day 8: Pacific Rim National Park
- Enjoy time at leisure - you may wish to walk along the famed Long Beach, with its miles of pristine sandy beach and pounding surf, or explore the rainforests on a selection of well-groomed trails. This afternoon enjoy a 3-hour whale watch cruise (included) though the Clayoquot Sound, revealing sensational scenery, and wildlife such as Gray Whales, Sea Lions, Porpoises and Killer Whales. The area is also known for its variety of birds, including tufted puffins and resident bald eagles.
- Day 9: Pacific Rim National Park - Victoria (313 km)
- Make your way back to the East Coast of Vancouver Island and head south to Victoria. En-route stops should be made at the artist community of Chemainus, where you can admire the giant murals which adorn the exterior walls throughout the town and Duncan, the "City of Totems". If time permits visit the Quw'utsun Heritage Village which provides you with an insight into the lives of the northwest coast people (admission not included).
- Day 10: Victoria
- Explore Victoria, with its turn of the century architecture and strong British traditions. Admission is included to the Butchart Gardens with its 50-acre display of magnificent colour.
- Day 11: Victoria - Vancouver (69 kms)
- Leaving Victoria drive north to Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal for your final ferry crossing to Tsawwassen. On board the ferry enjoy the scenery of the Gulf Islands as you cross the Strait of Georgia. From Tsawwassen continue on to downtown Vancouver to return you rental vehicle.
Inn at Laurel Point, Victoria
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
The tranquil 200 room Inn at Laurel Point occupies an un…
A variety of accommodation options are available for this holiday. Please contact us for further details.
Prices & Dates
Twin price from £1,356 per person, based on standard accommodation and intermediate rental vehicle.
Family price from £3,062 for 2 adults and 2 children (aged 10 years and under), based on standard accommodation and intermediate rental vehicle.
Prices vary subject to departure date.
Departs every Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday between 18 May and 24 September 2018.
10 nights room only accommodation in the category of your choice (Standard or Superior) ● 11 days car hire (Intermediate or Full Size) ● All ferry crossings for passengers and vehicle as per the itinerary ● Peak to Peak Gondola Ride (26 May-16 Sep) ● Eco Zodiac Tour into Desolation Sound (minimum child age 8 years) ● Whale Watch Tour in Clayoquot Sound (3 hours) ● Admission to Butchart Gardens ● Exclusive travel documentation including itinerary details, vouchers, maps, driving directions and a Lonely Planet guidebook.
Flights and airport taxes ● Additional meals not specified above ● Personal travel insurance (Discover the World offers a comprehensive policy - please contact our team for details) ● Gratuities & items of a personal nature ● Road tolls ● National Park fees ● Hotel car parking fees - approx CA$20 per day, payable locally, prices vary.
Important note: In Canada it is mandatory for children 12 years and younger to have a car seat. Car seats are CA $13 per day, up to a maximum of CA $195. Car seats can be reserved at the time of booking and will need to be paid for locally. Avis can only confirm a maximum of two child seats per vehicle.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.
Meet the team
Discover Whistler & the Rockies
Pacific Coast B&B Explorer
Pacific Coast Kayaking Adventure