Helsinki and Tallinn make the perfect two city break. Separated by the Gulf of Finland, they are just a short ferry ride between the two. Both cities are a comfortable size to explore by foot with many museums, churches, markets and historic buildings to visit.
Enjoy a rich culture, fantastic shopping, restaurants, bars, nightlife and an array of attractions suitable for any season, making this a great choice for the perfect year round short break.
- Visit Helsinki's Fortress of Suomenlinna
- Explore the waterside market in Helsinki's harbour
- Stroll around Tallinn's old medieval streets
- Relax with a drink in the Town Hall Square and watch the world go by
Tallinn is a UNESCO listed medieval old town, here you will find gabled houses, hidden courtyards and fine churches. A place where a fairy-tale comes true with its city walls dotted with guard towers.
Tallinn was once two medieval towns, Toompea, the upper town on a hill and the lower town which have now become one. The lower town, now known as the Old Town is home to the Town Hall Square which has been a market place for centuries. Now the town hall is a museum on the history of the city. It is possible to climb the tower for a rewarding view of the old town. Outside the old town is a real mix of architecture, from the Russians and Nazi rule.
A charming mix of styles, art nouveau influences as well as quirky modern touches, means Helsinki never takes itself too seriously. The restaurant and café culture is elegant yet laid back, the shopping covers the full range of tastes from flea-markets and trendy boutiques to huge malls and there is culture galore. This is a foot-friendly city, even in winter, offering visitors plenty of things to see and do.
There are several good quality hotels to choose from for your break, please contact our Travel Specialists for the options available.
Contact our Finland experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: fly to Helsinki
- On arrival make your own way to your hotel for a two-night stay on a breakfast basis. Depending on your flight, spend the afternoon exploring Helsinki.
- Day 2: explore Helsinki
- Spend the day at leisure in Helsinki. The picturesque harbour is a natural draw - in summer market stalls dot the quayside and in winter, especially on sunny Sundays, the stretches of frozen sea between the city and Suomenlinna attract processions of walkers, ice fishermen, skiers and a lot of ducks! A visit to the Senate Square to see the blue-domed Lutheran Cathedral is recommended at any time of year. There are plenty of green spaces too, for summer visitors whiling away a few hours’ people watching in a park is a relaxing way to spend an afternoon.
- Day 3: Ferry to Tallinn
- This morning you will have some time to explore Helsinki some more before making your way to the ferry terminal to catch the Tallink Silja Ferry to Tallinn. After the 2 hour ferry journey, check into your hotel and spend the rest of the afternoon and evening exploring Tallinn.
- Day 4: explore Tallinn
- Spend the day at leisure in Tallinn. Explore the medieval Old Town with its little narrow streets, city walls and high towers. Visit one of the many churches and climb the steps of St Olaf’s Church for a view over the red roofs. On the outskirts of the old town is the Kadriorg Park and Palace, here you can explore the gardens and visit the museum of Peter the Great.
- Day 5: Depart Tallinn
- After breakfast, make your way to the airport for the flight home.
This itinerary can also be taken in reverse and the duration is flexible.
During off season some excursions and activities may not operate and only run during the summer period. For more information on what is open please refer to the destination websites https://www.visittallinn.ee/eng and www.visithelsinki.fi/en
The weather in Finland and Estonia can cause serious delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Finland and Estonia will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Prices & Dates
|Prices in £ per person from||Year Round - 2018|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request
Price includes: return flights from London Heathrow to Helsinki with Finnair; airport taxes and charges; 2 nights accommodation at Glo Art Hotel on breakfast basis; Tallink Silja Line sea crossing between Helsinki and Tallinn; 2 nights accommodation at Hotel Bern in Tallinn on breakfast basis.
Price excludes: transfers between hotels and airport or ferry ports; taxi journeys; additional meals other than stated above, optional excursions and personal expenses.
Prices are based on certain booking classes for flights, if these are not available a supplement will apply. Hotel and flights are subject to availability.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.