Few animals capture the imagination or tempt the shutter like the magnificent brown bear and there is no better place to witness them than in their varied natural habitat near Kuhmo, Eastern Finland. Designed with nature photographers in mind, this four night break is dedicated to the discovery and observation of these incredible animals.
- Witness the majestic brown bear at their most active from specially designed hides
- Take in varied birdlife, from the honey buzzard to the capercaillie
- Share your passion for the camera with host Ari Saaski, a renowned nature photographer
- Enjoy the pristine isolation by hiking into the wilderness or rowing out onto the lake
The favourites of experts and novices alike, there are few animals who are as photogenic as the brown bear. With their casual strength, they are rarely seen during the day and youíll need a special set of circumstances to observe and photograph this private animal. Whether they are foraging for food, showing off their skills as climbers by clambering up a tree, or playing and scratching in the short summer nights, the only way to see and, of course, photograph these elusive wonders is patience. With overnights spent in the specially built hides, this is the perfect setting for the dedicated photographer to wait out these magnificent animals.
But it isn't just the nights that offer photographic opportunities. The days stretch from twelve to sixteen hours and are complimented by two to four hours of twilight which provide ample opportunity to experiment with different light. This is also the heart of the Finnish wilderness and other than bears you might be able to capture the beauty of the wolverine, the majesty of a reindeer, or the fluttering concentration of a sparrowhawk. With a renowned nature photographer on hand to provide advice and share stories, you are bound to leave with a memory card full of unique and stunning photos.
Tip the viewing season stretches from May to September but for serious photographers, June and July offer optimum light conditions.
Note hides are equipped with comfortable viewing chairs and an amplification system to aid listening to the animals as well as a sleeping area with dry toilet facilities. Remember to bring binoculars, tripod, bean bag or ball head (screw supplied).
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: UK - Kajaani
- Fly from the UK to Kajaani via Helsinki and transfer to the Wild Brown Bear lodge in time for late dinner. Overnight at the guesthouse.
- Days 2-4: at leisure/overnight bear hide
- After a morning sauna and breakfast, the day is spent at leisure, enjoying the amazing Finnish wilderness. Hiking, rowing, fishing, or photographing the incredible scenery with the crystal northern light all fill these long days with plenty of activity. After an early dinner and briefing, you will head into the hides, which are only 700 metres from the lodge. Here, everyone will settle down for a night of wildlife observation and photography.
- Day 5: Kajaani - UK
- After breakfast, check out of the lodge and transfer to Kajaani for the return flight to Helsinki and onwards to the UK.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||May to Sept 2016|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Single room is located in the guesthouse.
Please note: this trip is not suitable for children.
Prices include return flights between the UK and Kajaani via Helsinki; return transfers between the airport and accommodation; first night at a guesthouse in rooms with private facilities; followed by 3 nights in bear hides with use of your guesthouse room for the total duration of 4 nights; breakfast and dinner at the guesthouse and a snack whilst in a hide; services of a local wildlife expert.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.