From the fierce wolverine, the magnificent lynx and the elusive brown bear, a trip to Kuhmo in Finland's remote eastern wilderness allows you to leave the nature programmes at home. Through the ancient taiga forests and with a honey buzzard circling overhead, there is no better place to seek out these majestic animals in their natural habitat.
- Keep a night vigil from your hide near the Russian border, silently watching for the elusive brown bear
- Take in the scenic beauty with free use of rowing boats on the crystal-clear lake
- Search the skies and tree-tops for the region's fantastic bird life
- Explore the wilderness trails by bike at your own pace (included)
There's a reason that the brown bear has captured the hearts of many the world over. With their often unpredictable nature and sometimes casual fierceness, they somehow still convey the pristine beauty of the natural world. Rarely seen during the day, an overnight stay in a hide is the perfect opportunity to get up close and personal with this truly iconic animal. Whether they are foraging for food, clambering up the trees or showing off their playful side running and playing in the Finnish night, it will be hard to stay silent as you stare in amazement at these natural wonders.
But Kuhmo has much more to offer than these majestic bears and as you stare into the night you may see one of the many elusive animals of Finland's east, the awkward beauty of the wolverine, the cantering skill of the reindeer or the fluttering concentration of a sparrowhawk. And with days that stretch from twelve to sixteen hours, you will not be short of time to explore the natural beauty, whether by trail, boat or bike.
This trip is based at timbered Hotel Kalevala, nestled on the shores of Lake Lammasjarvi amongst the Taiga forests. The hotel's restaurant and outdoor terrace have great views over the lake, the delicious, locally-inspired gourmet cuisine doing its utmost to tear you away from the scenery.
Note hides are equipped with viewing chairs and an amplification system to aid listening to the animals as well as a sleeping area with dry-toilet facilities. Remember to bring binoculars, tripod, bean bag or ball head (screw supplied). On this itinerary one night is spent in a hide and three nights are in standard rooms with private facilities at the hotel.
In between the bear watching, swimming in the lake and relaxing at the hotel there are also several day activities and excursions to take part in. They include guided bike and hiking trips, visit the nearby husky farm, fishing trips, Elk Safari and swim in the rapids. Please ask our Sales team for more information.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive Kajaani
- Fly to Kajaani. You are met at the airport and transfered to Hotel Kalevala (approx 90 minutes). Following 2 nights at Hotel Kalevala with dinner included..
- Day 2: at leisure
- After breakfast and a welcome briefing, you have a day at leisure. There are several ways in which to explore and enjoy this amazing Finnish wilderness: cycling (free bike rental); hiking (free walking poles provided); swimming, fishing and rowing boats - all making the best of the great outdoors, of which there is plenty! After dinner, spend the evening relaxing, perhaps take a dip in the Jacuzzi and have a sauna or, at additional cost, try an acu-massage bed.
- Day 3: at leisure/overnight bear hide
- Visit the Petola Nature Centre then, after a late lunch, transfer to the bear hides close to the Russian border. Settle down with your camera and binoculars in these purpose-built hides ready for the night's bear watch. A snack will be provided for you to take in to the hide.
- Day 4: at leisure
- Early morning transfer back to the hotel in time for breakfast. Rest of the day to relax, catch up on some sleep or continue to explore your scenic surrounds, ever watchful for wildlife. Overnight at Hotel Kalevala. In the unlikely event that bears were not seen when staying at the bear hide, a second night of bear watching will be included without additional charge.
- Day 5: depart Kajaani
- Have breakfast, check out of the hotel and transfer to Kajaani Airport.
- The order of this itinerary may change due to availability and local conditions.
- The flight connections to Kaajani can vary depending on the day and time of year. Our Sales team will check the different options available for your specific departure.
- It is also possible to stay overnight in Helsinki to enhance your visit to Finland and make the connections more convenient.
Prices & Dates
|Prices per peron from for 2018||Two Sharing||Single|
Prices include return flights between the UK and Kajaani via Helsinki; 3 nights at Hotel Kalevala and 1 night in a bear hide; half board throughout (including a late lunch on the day of the bear hide) and a snack during the night in the hide; visit to Petola Nature Centre; airport taxes and return transfers between the airport and hotel.
Departures - Flights from the UK to Kajaani are limited and it may be necessary to stay overnight in Helsinki. Why not enhance your trip and spend a night or two exploring Finland's capital city before or after your Brown Bear Adventure. For flight options please call our Sales team for information.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.