This outstanding voyage offers an exploration of the wildlife, culture and spectacular scenery in the Canadian Arctic and Greenland. From Iqaluit on the east coast of Baffin Island to the west coast of Greenland, this adventure sails through a spectacular wilderness of glaciers, mountains, fjords and icebergs.
- Search for the mighty walrus on Monumental Island
- Immerse yourself in Inuit culture and learn of their traditions
- Keep watch for polar bears and seals
- Witness some of the most majestic, iceberg laden fjords in the world
Along the way, the Inuit settlements of both Canada and Greenland will open your eyes to the rich and unique cultures that have survived in this harsh landscape for centuries. Almost every day you will venture off the ship to explore on shore and in zodiac boats, photographing and taking in the landscapes.
Sailing through the nutrient rich waters also offers opportunities for unforgettable wildlife encounters including seals, polar bears and pelagic birds. Watch out for walrus hauled up on beaches and musk ox and reindeer grazing Greenland's wide valleys.
A further highlight will be the opportunity to witness the vast expanse of the Greenland ice cap up close.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Ottawa - Iqaluit, Nunavut (on Baffin Island)
- We depart Ottawa this morning on a charter flight to Kangerlussuaq, situated on the west coast of Greenland. Upon arrival in Kangerlussuaq enjoy a short tour before boarding the ship in the afternoon. After settling into your cabin and exploring the vessel, meet the expedition team and your fellow passengers.
- Day 2: Sisimiut, Greenland
- Explore the fjord behind the colourful town of Sisimiut before going ashore to visit this beautiful location in the afternoon. Perhaps meet a few traditional Greenlandic kayakers and see a demonstration of ‘Eskimo Rolling’ by one of the former champions of the Greenland Kayaking Championships.
- Day 3: Ilulissat & Jacobshavn Icefjord
- If one word could sum up today’s experience, it would be ‘ice’. Truly one of the wonders of the world, the Jacobshavn Icefjord - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - spews giant tabular icebergs out into Disko Bay. The approach to Ilulissat is always dependent on the amount of ice in and around the mouth of the fjord.
- Day 4: Qeqertarsuaq & Disko Bay
- A very large island in the mouth of Disko Bay, Qeqertarsuaq is a site of both geologic and historic interest. A possible summer fishing camp for the viking colonists in Greenland, mineral deposits containing native iron and hot springs are all part of the allure of this island. Visit the southern coast of the bay, cruising the spectacular rock arches before visiting the town of Qeqertarsuaq.
- Day 5: Davis Strait
- Leave the rugged coastline of Greenland to cross the Davis Strait towards Canada. As you transit, always be on the lookout for fin, sperm, sei and humpback whales, as well as the numerous species of Arctic seals and seabirds that inhabit these waters. The on board experts will deliver fascinating presentations focusing on the wildlife, history, geology and culture of the Arctic.
- Day 6: Sunshine Fjord
- Sunshine Fjord straddles the Arctic Circle at 66˚ degrees, 33 minutes north of latitude. Depending on the weather, cruise across the Arctic Circle on the ship, cross it in the zodiac boats or the more active option maybe to cross the circle on foot. Whichever way, it’s a thrill to be above the Arctic Circle at last! Sunshine Fjord offers terrific hiking opportunities.
- Day 7: Cape Mercy
- Protecting the northern entrance to Cumberland Sound, Cape Mercy is an exposed headland jutting out into the Davis Strait. As the Baffin Bay middle ice recedes throughout the summer, the stretch of Baffin coast from Cape Mercy to Cape Dyer is a great place to look for polar bears coming ashore.
- Day 8: Pangnirtung
- Nestled in the heart of Cumberland Sound and the western gateway to Auyuittuq National Park, the village of Pangnirtung is beautifully situated between the mountains and the sea. This remote Inuit community is a well-known centre for traditional and contemporary arts and crafts including carvings, prints and textiles. In addition the Angmarlik Visitor Centre has a wonderful interpretive display featuring the lifestyle of the Thule and of the modern Inuit.
- Day 9: Monumental Island
- Situated in the Davis Strait, the rocky dome of Monumental Island can be seen from a great distance. Explore by Zodiac along the rocky shoreline and hopefully encounter polar bears in this vicinity. In good weather a complete circumnavigation of the island is possible.
- Day 10: Lower Savage Islands
- At the mouth of Frobisher Bay on the southeast tip of Baffin Island, the Lower Savage Islands are a geological wonder. A maze of channels criss-cross the islands and provide superb Zodiac cruising opportunities. It's possible to navigate from one side of the island to the other where the ship will collect you. The islands are situated between several dynamic straits and this mixing of nutrient-rich waters makes for a diverse range of Arctic wildlife.
- Day 11: Disembark in Iqaluit and fly to Ottawa
- The expedition comes to an end as you arrive in Iqaluit, the capital of Nunavut. Disembark the ship and bid farewell to the crew and your fellow passengers. Transfer to the airport for the flight to Ottawa. A transfer is also provided from the airport into a central downtown location.
Ocean Endeavour - 06 Aug 2018Day 1 Fly from Ottawa to Resolute for embarkation
Day 2 Beechey Island
Day 3 Devon Island
Day 4 Lancaster Sound
Day 5 North Baffin Island
Day 6 Mittimatilik (Pond Inlet)
Day 7 At sea
Day 8 Karrat Fjord
Day 9 Uummannaq Fjord
Day 10 Ilulissat
Day 11 Sisimiut Coast
Day 12 Disembark in Kangerlussuaq, fly to Toronto
Please note that all voyage itineraries are intended as a guideline only - embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy of expedition travel. Actual routes and landings will be dependent on weather, sea and ice conditions. A degree of flexibility is essential in the polar regions!
Sea Adventurer (known as Ocean Adventurer from 2017)
- Type: Expedition Ship
This attractive ice-strengthened vessel is a comfortable…
- Type: Expedition Ship
The largest ship in our fleet offers a spacious and comf…
Prices & Dates
Prices are per person, based on a twin cabin - please contact us for details of triple, single and superior cabins.
|06 Aug 2018||12 days||Ocean Endeavour||£8,239|
|05 Sep 2018||11 days||Akademik Vavilov||£7,377|
Inclusions and Exclusions
Excludes: All airfares not specified in inclusions • Additional airport or airline security charges • Government arrival and departure taxes (payable locally) • Any pre- or post-voyage accommodation/land arrangements • Passport and visa expenses (we will be pleased to advise you on any necessary documentation, however this is passengers' own responsibility) • Alcoholic and soft drinks, telecommunication charges, laundry costs and other charges of a personal nature • Travel insurance including full cancellation cover and mandatory emergency evacuation insurance • Gratuities and tips (for stewards and other service personnel - guidelines will be provided) • Jackets are not provided on this voyage; passengers must provide their own outdoor clothing • A selection of boots may be available on board the ship (left by previous passengers) - as we cannot guarantee availability and sizes we recommend our clients take their own boots • Doctor's fees confirming fitness for travel (compulsory for all passengers)
Price excludes Return airfares between UK/US and Canada • Any pre- or post-voyage accommodation/meals/transport. A pre-voyage night is strongly recommended • Additional airport or airline security charges • Passport and visa expenses (we will be pleased to advise you on any necessary documentation, however this is passengers' own responsibility) • Alcoholic and soft drinks, telecommunication charges, laundry costs and other charges of a personal nature • The customary gratuity at the end of the voyage for Hospitality Team members, ship's crew and Expedition Team members (guidelines will be provided) • Travel insurance
We would be pleased to quote for the best available airfares and comprehensive travel insurance to suit your specific holiday requirements.
Book by 30 April 2018
Receive one of three great offers!
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.