This flexible trip based in Ilulissat offers the perfect Greenland introduction - visiting the UNESCO World Heritage site of Disko Bay and one of the world's most active glaciers! Head out from Ilulissat each day for some incredible experiences unique to this wilderness island. You'll return home with memories of icebergs, Inuit and huskies, plus a lot more besides!
- Disko Bay with its icebergs of all shapes and sizes rising majestically from a sea of deep dark blue
- idyllic Sermermiut valley, home to native Greenlanders for thousands of years
- option to take a midnight sun cruise on the bay - sailing amongst the icebergs is amazing
- visit a local settlement, see the ways of Greenlandic hunters and experience the hospitality of the locals
The modern town of Ilulissat sits approximately 200km above the Arctic Circle, mid way along the west coast at the mouth of a 56km long ice fjord, designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Ilulissat's population numbers around 4,500 people and at least 4,000 sled dogs, which underlines the importance of the sledge as a means of transport, even in a large modern town. The harbour is full of fishing boats and trawlers as naturally, fishing remains hugely important to the community.
Explore Disko Bay
Why not make the most of your trip to west Greenland and extend your stay in the smaller towns and settlements in the Disko Bay surroundings. Located just South of Ilulissat, Ilimanaq is a remote and authentic Greenlandic destination with just over 53 inhabitants. The settlement boasts 15 brand new modern cabins which have fantastic views of the ocean and the icebergs drifting by – if you are lucky you may even spot a whale from the comfort of your room!
Combine Ilulissat with Qasigiannguit, a small hiking town located in the eastern corner of Disko Bay. Qasigiannguit is Greenland’s second oldest town, founded in 1734. North of Ilulissat is the settlement of Qqaatsut/Rodebay and the Eqip glacier, two more places you have the option of exploring during this trip.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive in Iceland
- After transferring to your accommodation in Reykjavik explore the capital and enjoy dinner at one of the many fabulous restaurants that the capital has to offer.
- Day 2: Reykjavik – Ilulissat
- Today take a short taxi ride (payable locally) to Reykjavik City Airport, for your flight to Ilulissat. Transfer to Hotel Arctic and enjoy a short city tour before your welcome dinner.
- Days 3 & 4 at leisure
- Days at leisure for optional excursions to discover more about daily life in the Arctic. Choose from gentle walks to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Ilulissat Icefjord, boat trips amongs the iceberg and even a home visit sharing the gossip with the locals over a cup of coffee. Or you may just wish to sit on the hotel balcony and watch the gigantic icebergs float by!
- Day 5: Ilulissat – Reykjavik
- Today transfer to airport for return flight to Reykjavik. Take a short taxi ride (payable locally) to Reykjavik accommodation.
- Day 6: Depart Iceland
- Transfer to Keflavik airport in time for your flight home.
- The above is a suggestion only; additional nights may be added in either Reykjavik or Ilulissat, subject to flight schedules - please call our office to discuss your travel plans.
Prices & Dates
Summer 2018 departures
Option A - based on 2 nights in Reykjavik and 2 nights in Greenland
Every Sunday between 1 July and 27 August, Every Monday, Tuesday between 4 June and 28 August & Every Wednesday between 6 June and 23 August.
Option B - based on 2 nights in Reykjavik and 3 nights in Greenland
Every Monday, Tuesday between 4 June and 28 August & Every Friday between 1 June and 25 August.
Options C & D – based on 2 nights in Reykjavik and 4 nights in Greenland
Every Monday between 4 June and 21 August
Prices in £ per person from
|Option A - 2 nights in Reykjavik, 2 nights in Ilulissat||£2,047||£2,384|
|Option B - 2 nights in Reykjavik, 3 nights in Ilulissat||£2,209||£2,594|
|Option C - 2 nights in Reykjavik, 4 nights in Ilulissat||£2,359||£2,819|
|Option D - 2 nights in Reykjavik, 2 nights in Ilulissat and 2 nights at Ilimanaq Lodge||£2,809||£3,329|
Price includes scheduled return flights between Reykjavik City Airport and Ilulissat; return transfers from Keflavik Airport to Reykjavik; 2 nights in Reykjavik on bed and breakfast basis, return transfers from Ilulissat Airport to accommodation; 2, 3 or 4 nights at Hotel Arctic on breakfast basis; welcome and farewell dinner at Hotel Arctic (2-course set menu); airport taxes.
Option D also includes boat transfers between Ilulissat and Ilimanaq, 2 nights at Ilimanaq Lodge on full board basis.
Prices exclude return flights between UK and Iceland, transfers between your accommodation in Reykjavik and Reykjavik City Airport, insurance policy upgrades.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.