Greenland's grandeur is unquestionable. Sailing plays a hugely important role in the Greenlandic infrastructure and a cruise along the west coast, travelling on the same vessel as the locals, is a fabulous way of sampling the diversity of this beautiful, dramatic country and its people. Experience the contrast between the icebergs of Disko Bay and the amazing verdant south.
Who for? Those looking for an authentic slice of Greenlandic life.
Following your flight,spend your first night in Reykjavik and then your second night in Ilulissat 'Town of the Giant Icebergs' and Greeland's third largest town. After time on the ship spend a night in Qaqortoq in the beautiful south.
- wonder at the UNESCO designated Ilulissat Ice Fjord and the icebergs of Disko Bay
- take a guided walking tour around Ilulissat - see how old contrasts brilliantly with new
- a chance to experience part of Greenlandic life
- savour the golden glow of the midnight sun over the glaciers and icebergs
- look out for humpback whales
This trip should not be confused with a conventional cruise - the MV Sarfaq Ittuk is a comfortable yet functional passenger and cargo ship. It sails the coastal waters carrying locals to visit their loved ones and of course tourists, eager to explore the narrow straights and open waters, whilst observing Greenland's glorious natural landscapes and wildlife. While on-board accommodation will be in outside facing cabins ensuring you never have to miss a thing.
We give a suggested itinerary, however additional nights may be added in Ilulissat, Qaqortoq or Reykjavik (subject to flight schedules) - please call our team of travel specialists to discuss your plans.
Contact our Greenland experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Keflavik
- Fly to Keflavik on a Thursday. Transfer to accommodation in Reykjavik.
- Day 2: Reykjavik - Ilulissat
- Take a short taxi ride (payable locally) to Reykjavik City Airport, for your flight to Ilulissat. Transfer to Hotel Arctic for a 2 night stay, meet your guide for a voyage briefing, and enjoy a welcome dinner (included).
- Day 3: Ilulissat
- Day at leisure in Illulisat and optional activities available. There are several ways to explore the area – by boat, by foot or even flight seeing.
- Day 4: Embark MV Sarfaq Ittuk
- After breakfast at the hotel enjoy a morning at leisure in Ilulissat Transfer to the pier in the afternoon and embark on the MV Sarfaq Ittuk which sets sail at approximately 16:30 on its southbound voyage along the Greenland coast. Late this evening enjoy a short stop in Aasiaat
- Day 5: Visit Sisimiut and Maniitosoq
- In the monring dock at Sisimiut for a 2 hour part-guided visit. This picturesque town with a mountainous backdrop has an old quarter with many traditional wooden buildings including a blue church dating from 1775. After the short tour, return to the cruise for further sailing along the spectacular Greenland West Coast. In the evening, there will be a short stop at Maniitsoq.
- Day 6: Visit Nuuk
- Continuing south make an early call at Nuuk, Greenland’s capital. Here, you will be given a guided tour before being free to spend a few hours exploring. Perhaps watch as the ‘catch of the day’ is sold along the bustling harbour side.
- Day 7: Visit Paamiut and arrival in Narsaq
- Enjoy an early morning stop at Paamiut, followed by further cruising towards Greenland’s Southern Archipelago, arriving in Narsaq in the late evening. On arrival you will be met by your guide and transferred to Hotel Narsaq for 3 nights.
- Day 8: Tour Narsaq
- After breakfast at the hotel, there will be a short guided tour of Narsaq, a charming town known for its colourful wooden houses, where modern living is mixed with ancient traditions. The rest of the day is at leisure to explore the area and short hikes are available to see Viking settlements. You can also take part in one of the optional activities including: Boat trip to the inland icecap – Evening iceberg safari – Hike to the Kvanefjeldet area rich in a great variety of minerals.
- Day 9: Narsaq
- Spend your last day at leisure or taking part in an optional excursion. In the evening, enjoy a farewell dinner at your hotel
- Day 10: Transfer to Narsarsuaq and return to Keflavik
- Transfer by helicopter to Narsarsuaq airport in time for your flight back to Keflavik airport. The helicopter flight time is approximately 25 minutes - a memorable way to end your trip. Upon arrival in Keflavik, make your way to Hotel Berg for an overnight stay (taxi payable locally).
- Day 11: Fly home
- Transfer to Keflavik for your return flight home.
Note the meal basis is bed and breakfast and some evening meals at hotels either end of the coastal voyage, including a Welcome and a Farewell Dinner. On board the MV Sarfaq Ittuk, accommodation is on a room only basis. Please speak to one of our Travel Specialists about upgrading to Full Board whilst on the boat. Alternatively, meals can be purchased on board.
A variety of excursions are available from Ilulissat, which may be booked and paid for locally, these include town walks, iceberg and midnight sun ice fjord cruises, a visit to a hunter's settlement, fishing tour, helicopter trips to the icecap, whale safaris and husky encounters - further information is listed on the excursions page for this tour. Please note all excursions are dependent on weather and minimum numbers.
Prices & Dates
2018 Departures every Thursday between 8 June and 17 August
Prices from, in £ per person
Price includes 1 night in Reykjavik on a breakfast basis; 1 night in Keflavik on a breakfast basis; Flights & taxes from Reykjavik City Airport to Ilulissat and back from Narsarsuaq to Keflavik; Transfers between Keflavik International Airport and your hotel in Reykjavik and from your hotel in Keflavik to the International airport for your return flight; 2 nights on a half board basis at Hotel Arctic; 3 nights at Hotel Narsaq on breakfast basis and farwell dinner on last night; 3 nights in an outside cabin onboard the coastal voyage on a room only basis; Services of a local representative in Ilulissat & Narsaq.
Prices exclude Insurance policy upgrades. International flights to and from Iceland. Taxi transfers between Reykjavik accommodation and Reykjavik City (domestic) Airport for Greenland flights and transfer from Keflavik airport to Hotel Berg on return to Iceland.
Note: There will be no representative during the cruise however special information will be provided in Ilulissat the day before the voyage.
AIRFARES TO ICELAND - THE BEST PRICE FOR YOU
We will be pleased to provide a separate quotation for airfares according to your preferred UK departure airport and your choice of travel dates; this ensures you receive the best possible price at the time of booking. Please contact us for your personal quotation. find out more»
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.