Experience one of the world's last great wildernesses and discover its vibrant culture and Viking heritage. Overlooking a fjord dotted with icebergs and brimming with adventure potential, Qaqortoq makes a fascinating base for this 5 or 6-night independent holiday including two nights in Iceland, plus an exciting helicopter flight in Greenland.
- Discover iceberg-filled fjords and glaciers
- Enjoy a thrilling helicopter flight across the Arctic landscape
- Choose from optional activities including boat trips and hikes
- Take a guided walk around Qaqortoq, learning about daily life
- Visit archaeological sites from the Inuit and Viking settlers
- Spend a night in Iceland either side of your Greenland adventure
The cultural heart of South Greenland
Home to around 3,200 people, the colourful settlement of Qaqortoq has a thriving cultural scene. Designed to transform the town into an open-air art gallery, its Stone & Man sculpture trail features more than 40 abstract carvings chiselled into boulders and rock faces. The town’s original blacksmith’s shop, built in 1804, is now a museum at the historical harbour, while traces of Viking settlement, such as the ruins of Hvalsey Church and Eric the Red’s farm can be explored nearby.
Adventures in the wilderness
Upon arrival in Qaqortoq, you will be met by a guide who will help you plan activities during your stay. As well as hiking, optional excursions on this trip include a boat trip to Uunartoq hot springs where you can bathe in a pool with spectacular views of the fjords and mountains. Included in the holiday is an amazing helicopter flight between Qaqortoq and Narsarsuaq, flying low over a mesmerising landscape of fjords, mountains and glaciers.
Add time in Iceland
With just a two- to three-hour flight separating them, Greenland and Iceland are natural partners. This holiday includes a night at the Northern Light Inn (near the Blue Lagoon) before and after your Greenland adventure. However, if you would like to extend your time in Iceland, our Travel Specialists can easily add extra days to your itinerary – perhaps exploring the waterfalls and black-sand beaches of the South Coast, or heading out west to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive Iceland
- Airport transfer from Keflavik International Airport to the Northern Light Inn. Overnight on a bed and breakfast basis.
- Day 2: Keflavik - Narsarsuaq - Qaqortoq
- Transfer from the Northern Light Inn to Keflavik International Airport for your flight to Narsarsuaq in South Greenland. Transfer to the pier and then travel by boat through Erik's Fjord to Qaqortoq where you will be met by your guide. After checking in to your hotel, there will be an opportunity for you to find out more about the excursions that are available during your stay. Dinner and overnight at Hotel Qaqortoq.
- Day 3: exploring Qaqortoq
- Day at leisure in Qaqortoq for optional excursions. Enjoy a complimentary guided walk around the town, visit the historical harbour with its museum and follow the Stone & Man sculpture trail. Overnight at Hotel Qaqortoq (dinner not included).
- Day 4: exploring Qaqortoq
- Another day exploring Qaqortoq and the surrounding fjords and mountains. Farewell dinner and overnight at Hotel Qaqortoq.
- Day 5: Qaqortoq - Narsarsuaq - Keflavik
- Travel to Narsarsuaq Airport by helicopter, flying low over the magnificent Arctic landscape – a memorable way to end your Greenland adventure! There may be time to join a short excursion from Narsarsuaq to the Qoroq Glacier or the remains of Eric the Red's farm. Upon arrival at Keflavik International Airport in Iceland, transfer to the Northern Light Inn. Overnight on a bed and breakfast basis.
- Day 6: return to UK
- Transfer to Keflavik for your return flight to the UK.
Prices & Dates
Every Friday from 16 June – 25 August & every Tuesday from 01 August – 29 August
Prices in £ per person from
Every Monday 19 June – 25 August & every Friday from 28 July – 25 August
Prices in £ per person from
Price includes scheduled return flights between Keflavik Airport and Narsarsuaq; return transfers from Keflavik Airport to the Northern Light Inn; 2 nights at the Northern Light Inn on bed and breakfast basis, return transfers from Narsarsuaq Airport to Qaqortoq including one by Helicopter; stated number of nights at Hotel Qaqortoq on breakfast basis (plus a welcome and farewell dinner); airport taxes.
Prices exclude return flights between UK and Iceland.
Airfares between UK and Iceland are quoted separately to ensure you the best price and are not included in prices below.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.