An epic journey through the heart of Sweden and Norway travelling by plane, scenic train and the famous Hurtigruten coastal steamer. With an abundance of stunning sea and landscapes to soak up, historic towns and cities to explore and the Icehotel to marvel at, this is a very special trip indeed. And the northern lights could be a bonus!
Who for? Those with a spirit for adventure!
- 2 nights at the Icehotel
- 3 nights onboard a Hurtigruten coastal voyage
- train journey through Lapland
- train ride 'over the roof of Norway'
- 2 Scandinavian capitals - Stockholm and Oslo
- spectacular Norwegian fjords
On this truly amazing holiday you'll appreciate the travelling and modes of transport as much as the places visited. Stylish Stockholm, a selection of Norwegian cities, stunningly beautiful scenery, the breathtaking Icehotel, time aboard a Hurtigruten coastal voyager and a scenic mountain railway make this a holiday to be remembered - sightings of the northern lights are simply the icing on the cake! More about the aurora »
Two nights in Stockholm give you a taste of this cosmopolitan city - charming, stylish and full of places to eat, drink, visit and shop. Then fly 200km above the Arctic Circle and spend two nights at the breathtaking Icehotel. After a night in an ice room and a night in a warm room, and perhaps a husky sledge or snowmobile trip, it's time to board a train and head off across mile upon mile of Lapland wilderness. Enjoy the scenery as you cross the border and head into Norway.
Norway's fjords and coastline are impressive at any time of year but especially so in winter, when the rugged mountain peaks are dusted with snow and literally sparkle in the winter sun. Join a Hurtigruten ship (the name given to the route rather than an individual ship) and sail past Lofoten and Vesteralen and through the narrow straits that divide the many idyllic islands. Stop at ports here and there - including time ashore to explore the historic city of Bergen, where the voyage ends. If the nights are clear, there is a good chance of enjoying displays of the northern lights during the voyage.
And just in case you haven't had enough incredible scenery, the final leg of the trip is on one of the world's most scenic railways - 'Over the roof of Norway' to Oslo. Climb up and over impossibly high mountains, cross over a snow-blanketed plateau, then descend through forest and farmland before spending your final night in Norway's capital before you head home.
Nothing we have ever done comes close… One life, live it!Alan Holley, Great Nordic Odyssey
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive Stockholm
- Fly to Stockholm and make your way to the Hotel Diplomat for a 2-night stay.
- Day 2: Stockholm
- At leisure to enjoy Stockholm.
- Day 3: Stockholm - Kiruna - Icehotel
- Make your way back to Stockholm Airport and take a flight to Kiruna. Transfer to the Icehotel for a 2-night stay (one in an ice room and one in a warm room).
- Day 4: Icehotel
- At leisure to enjoy optional excursions, ranging from husky sledding and reindeer safaris to snowmobiling and ice driving.
- Day 5: Icehotel - Narvik
- Transfer to Kiruna station and travel by rail through Lapland to Narvik. Overnight at the Scandic Hotel Narvik.
- Day 6: Narvik - Harstad
- Continue by bus to Harstad and overnight at Thon Hotel Harstad.
- Day 7: Harstad - Svolvær
- Board your Hurtigruten ship and set sail past the Vesteralen and Lofoten Islands to Stamsund. Spend three nights on board, sampling delicious food in a very relaxed and informal atmosphere.
- Days 8-9: Svolvær - Bronnoysund
- Sail to Ornes and weave among islands, past the Seven Sisters Range to Bronnoysund.
- Day 10: Bronnoysund - Bergen
- Early morning arrival in Trondheim with a chance to visit the Medieval Nidaros Cathedral. Continue to Bergen and a 2 night stay at Clarion Hotel Admiral.
- Day 11: Bergen
- At leisure to explore Bergen - visit the Fishmarket and historic Bryggen or take the funicular railway up to Mt Floyen to enjoy the amazing scenery over the city.
- Day 12: Bergen - Oslo
- Take the famous scenic train to Oslo - overnight at the Thon Hotel Bristol.
- Day 13: depart Oslo
- Make your way to the airport for your flight home.
- Outward travel is via Stockholm, the return via Oslo. If you wish to extend your stay in these capital cities or at the Icehotel please contact us for further details.
- Hurtigruten ships vary from older, beautifully authentic vessels to larger and more modern ships. Although cabins have private facilities, berths may be either twin or bunk. You will be advised the name of the ship at the time of booking, however this will be subject to change, should Hurtigruten need to make operational alterations.
- The weather can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in country will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Unique and Boutique
This inspiring and totally 'cool' hotel provides both wa…
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
Opened in March 2012, the 148-room Scandic Narvik is the…
Thon Hotel Bristol, Oslo
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
Located in the heart of Oslo's city centre, this traditi…
Thon Hotel Harstad
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
This 141-room hotel is close to bustling quay in the hea…
Experience the everyday life of a reindeer herding family a…
The sure-footed Icelandic horse will be your mount for the …
Few things are as memorable as dinner under the stars.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Jan to Apr 2018|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request.
Prices include: scheduled flights from the UK to Stockholm; Stockholm to Kiruna and from Oslo to the UK; transfer from Kiruna Airport to the Icehotel; transfer from the Icehotel to Kiruna Train Station; train from Kiruna to Narvik and from Bergen to Oslo; bus travel from Narvik to Harstad; bus transfer from Harstad Airport to Harstad; hotel accommodation in Stockholm for 2 nights, Narvik for 1 night, Harstad for 1 night, Bergen for 2 nights and Oslo for 1 night all in twin rooms with private facilities; 3 nights in an inside cabin aboard the Hurtigruten; 2 nights at the Icehotel (one in warm accommodation and one in an ice room); breakfast throughout plus 3 evening meals (onboard ship); use of thermal suit, boots, gloves during time at the Icehotel and all taxes.
Prices exclude - transfers in Stockholm, Bergen and Oslo; meals other than mentioned and personal expenses
- Optional room upgrades at the Icehotel are available, subject to availability. Please ask our sales team for details.
- Airfares are based on the lowest available fare, should this not be available at the time of booking a supplement will apply.
All holidays and prices are subject to availability.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.