Travelling to Swedish Lapland during the winter months is such a special experience. Imagine staying in three of the most unique hotels in Scandinavia, if not the world, and you have a once in a lifetime trip leaving you with ever lasting memories.
Starting in the iconic and original Icehotel in the far north, then travel through the scenic winter wonderland by train to Sapmi Nature Camp before continuing south to the mind boggling Treehotel.
- Experience ‘sleeping on ice’ at the cool Icehotel
- Flexible break with a range of optional activities
- Stay in a traditional Sami lavvu
- Hang out at the Treehotel
- Perfect locations for northern lights sightings
Our short break gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself into the winter wonders of Swedish Lapland. The snowy scenes are simply stunning; the thrilling activities are breath taking and the choice of accommodation are totally out of this world.
There are so many choices for a winter break, but this one will be unsurpassed!
Now in its 28th season, the original Icehotel is crafted each year using ice from the frozen River Torne and is transformed into a work of art by the world’s leading ice sculptors. Walking inside, you will be mesmerised by hallways lit by sparkling chandeliers of ice, while the Art Suites have to be seen to be believed. Icehotel 365 is open all-year round, blending seamlessly during winter with the seasonal Icehotel, which melts back into the river each spring. The new creation offers Deluxe Suites, each with a warm bathroom and some with private sauna. The resort also offers warm accommodation in the form of hotel style rooms and chalets, as well as two restaurants, sauna facilities and a wide range of exciting winter activities. Stays here generally include one night ‘on ice’ and further nights in the warm rooms. While staying at the Icehotel there are many wonderful activities to choose from and can all be pre-booked. Ranging from husky sledding, snowmobiling, ice sculpting, starlit dinners, Nordic winter skills, reindeer farm visit and even a sauna ritual. Please refer to our online excursion list for the full choice.
Sapmi Nature Camp
For an unforgettable cultural experience, go glamping at Sapmi Nature Camp right on the edge of Laponia. The camp consists of five cosy lavvu tents, each one heated by a wood-burning stove. Experiencing Sami food, folklore and fieldcraft, you will be able to meet a local reindeer herdsman, Lennart Pittja who will share his knowledge on all things Sami. Take a self-guided ski or snowshoe tour on pre-pared tracks around the camp and enjoy the warm hospitality in the lounge building with open fireplace and seating area.
The inspiration of Kent and Britta Lindvall, The Treehotel offers seven different tree rooms with contemporary design suspended 4-6 metres above the ground, some with spectacular views of the Lule river valley.
On arrival at Treehotel, you first check in at Britta’s Guesthouse nearby, it’s then a short walk through the beautiful forest to your elevated rooms accessed by ramp, bridge or electric stairs. The treetop rooms are individually named and vary in size and theme, some taking extra beds for larger parties and families and offer environmentally-friendly toilets and wash basins. The Cabin, The Nest, Mirror Cube, The UFO, The Blue Cone and The Dragonfly as well as the separate Tree sauna create an unforgettable image as you approach and take in the unique scene before you. New for 2017, The 7th room is the largest and most sophisticated of rooms, with 2 bedrooms, seating area and full bathroom with eco-shower.
Perhaps the thought of spending a night in rooms several metres above the ground is a little mind boggling, but in reality, you feel part of nature and totally safe as you enjoy the wonderful views while relaxing in the modern and stylish rooms with their home comforts including wi-fi and coffee machines.
All meals here are taken back at Britta’s Guesthouse which oozes character, charm and a cosy atmosphere - a great place to mingle with fellow travellers and relax in the evening with glorious home cooked meals in the restaurant.
The tranquil setting is the ideal place to unwind and enjoy the facilities including the Tree Sauna, Jacuzzi bath, Swedish Classic massage, Forest Spa and a romantic Ice-dining experience, all available at an additional charge. For the more adventurous there are several winter pursuits taking you out in to the wilderness and beyond, such as Snowmobile safaris, dog sledding tours, ice fishing, snowshoeing, moose safari and a Northern Lights photography course.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive Kiruna
- On arrival at Kiruna airport you are met and transferred (20 minutes) to the Icehotel in Jukkasjarvi. Check in to the hotel, receive your winter clothing and learn the art of sleeping on ice. Perhaps book an evening activity in search for the aurora or relax in the one of the restaurants. Meals at Icehotel are on breakfast basis.
- Day 2: winter activities at the Icehotel
- The sauna will be waiting to warm you up after a night in the Icehotel. Then embark on one of the activities in the snowy wilderness - a must for any visitor to Swedish Lapland. In the afternoon you can check in to the warm accommodation for your second night. Alternatively the first night in the Icehotel can be swapped to the second night.
- Day 3: Icehotel - Sapmi Nature Camp
- Transfer to Kiruna train station in time for the train to Gallivare (journey time approximately 90 minutes). On arrival you will be met by your host and transferred (15 minutes) to the nature camp where you will be shown the facilities and how the camp works. Time here is spent learning all about the Sami people and their culture, enjoying a typical home-cooked meal and sleeping in a warm lavvu (traditional tent). Meals are on full board basis.
- Day 4: Sapmi Nature Camp - Treehotel
- In the morning you are served breakfast in the small lodge before you don the Nordic skis or snowshoes and venture out on trails around the camp. Transfer back to Gallivare station for the service to Boden (journey time approximately 2 hours). You are met at Boden station and transferred to The Treehotel in Harads (journey time 40 minutes). On arrival you check in at Britta’s Guesthouse and receive information about staying at Treehotel. The first night is spent in one of the tree rooms and the second night at Britta’s Guesthouse. Meals here are on half board basis.
- Day 5: activities from Treehotel
- There are so many optional activities you can pre-book at the Treehotel that you may need more time here. From dog sledding tours to snowmobiling, snowshoeing to ice fishing and Nordic skiing to northern lights photography - please ask our Sales team all the options available. As well as these guided trips, you can also rent snowshoes, kick sledges and Nordic skis to explore the area at your own pace. It is also possible to book the sauna, Jacuzzi, a Swedish massage and relaxing packages.
- Day 6: Treehotel - Lulea Airport
- After breakfast, transfer to Lulea Airport (journey time 1 hour) in time for your onward flight.
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Unique and Boutique
This inspiring and totally 'cool' hotel provides both wa…
Sapmi Nature Camp
- Grade: Full Board
- Type: Camping
Situated in the Laponia World Heritage site, Sapmi …
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Jan to Mar 2018|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request.
Price includes flights with Scandinavian Airlines from London Heathrow to Kiruna, returning from Lulea to Heathrow; airport charges and taxes; transfer from Kiruna airport to Icehotel; 1 night in an Ice room; 1 night in a Kaamos room – both on breakfast basis; transfer from Icehotel to Kiruna train station; train from Kiruna to Gallivare; transfer from Gallivare station to Sapmi Nature Camp; 1 night at Sapmi Camp on half board basis; transfer to Gallivare station; train to Boden; transfer from Boden station to Treehotel; 1 night in a Tree room (The Cabin); 1 night at Britta’s Guesthouse in a double room – both on half board basis; transfer from Treehotel to Lulea airport.
Price excludes meals other than those stated; optional activities; personal expenses.
All prices are subject to availablity and are based in certain booking classes. If these are not available then supplements will apply.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.