This 3-night break has fast become one of our most popular winter self-drives. It has been designed with the overriding aim of maximising your chances of an aurora sighting by basing you at the optimally located and exceptional Hotel Ranga or Hotel Grimsborgir. In both locations, in the heart of South West Iceland, you're in prime position to explore the wealth of natural wonders that abound in the surrounding countryside, with the help of our exclusive digital guide iDiscover.
- Soak in an outdoor hot tub whilst, with luck, watching the aurora overhead
- Opt for an aurora wake up call if the lights appear during the night
- Enjoy amazing night sky viewing in Hotel Ranga's observatory
- Use of exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover
On this fantastic short break you'll have the freedom to explore as you please, spending the days discovering the natural wonders that dominate Iceland's southern countryside and the nights relaxing in comfort as you anticipate a display of the northern lights. more about the aurora
Hotel Ranga is a luxury 4-star ranch-style hotel around a two hour drive from Reykjavik, sitting under vast open skies in Iceland's rural south with uninterrupted 360° views. The hotel exudes sophistication and has a reputation for excellent service, yet retains an intimate and friendly atmosphere. It offers an extensive wine list and acclaimed gourmet menu. Ranga also has it's own observatory with a retractable roof and two high-powered telescopes.
Hotel Grimsborgir is located next to the beautiful Sog, Iceland’s largest freshwater river, with spectacular countryside views. Boasting superior rooms as well as luxury apartments with an outdoor hot tub, the elegant Grimsborgir Restaurant serves traditional Icelandic meals as well as other gourmet food.
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary will be pre-loaded onto an iPad air which you will get with your hire car and includes all the information you need for your trip.
Thank you for making our trip to Iceland so smooth, the holiday was incredible and worth every penny spent... I will definitely recommend you to all of my friends thinking of travelling that way.James Spencer, Aurora Nights
Iceland was just like being on the moon and watching the northern lights over the unique landscape on our last night was exactly what I would imagine it would be like to be on another world.Cynthia Thomas, Northern Lights & Volcanoes
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive Iceland
- On arrival at Keflavik international airport collect your rental vehicle and enjoy a scenic drive to Hotel Ranga or Hotel Grimsborgir. This is your home for the next 3 nights, in a spectacular location under big skies ideal for sightings of the aurora. If you're staying at Hotel Ranga, the perfect place to bring the night sky to life is the roll-off roof observatory which houses two high quality telescopes, with special camera attachments to take photographs of the sky. At Hotel Grimsborgir enjoy luxurious accommodation and beautiful views across the countryside.
- Day 2: at leisure
- Discover the beautiful south; explore the iconic waterfalls of Seljalandsfoss, which cascades over a former sea cliff, and the wide thundering curtain of Skogafoss; visit the little town of Vik with its hilltop church, walk along dramatic black sand beaches and past basalt cliffs and distinctive sea stacks.
- Day 3: at leisure
- Drive the Golden Circle route taking in Iceland's three most famous natural wonders: the rainbow misted double falls of Gullfoss, the geothermal hotspot of Geysir with its well-known geyser Strokkur which reguarly erupts to around 30m, and the scenic national park Thingvellir where Iceland's ancient parliament met.
- Day 4: Hotel Ranga/Grimsborgir - Keflavik
- Head back to Keflavik, perhaps stopping at the Blue Lagoon en route, the perfect place for a relaxing dip in the warm therapeutic waters before your flight home. Return your rental car and check in for your flight.
- Those looking to stay at Hotel Ranga for a quiet Icelandic break may wish to opt for a mid-week stay, as weekends at this lovely log-cabin style property can be busy with both Icelandic and overseas visitors.
- This itinerary can be booked as described or let us know if you'd like us to adapt or tailor make a holiday to suit you.
- The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Accommodation OptionsDeep in the Icelandic countryside, you'll find two exceptional properties Hotel Ranga, close to Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss, two of Iceland's most photographed waterfalls and Hotel Grimsborgir, near Thingvellir National Park.
Both properties are within easy reach of the Golden Circle route, as well as the dramatic black sand south shore offering plenty of places to explore by day. And by night, their rural locations help to maximise the potential for some wonderful aurora sightings.
ExcursionsFrom glacier hikes to horse riding, river rafting to mountain biking, Iceland's south coast offers a range of optional activities you can choose to include on this holiday.
Prices & Dates
These are starting prices in £ per person based on rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
October 2017 - April 2018
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£583|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£606|
|Hotel Grimsborgir (Superior Room)||
October 2017 - April 2018
|Category||2 sharing||Special Offer Price|
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£994||£827|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£1019||£852|
Prices include flight credit of £150*; accommodation in rooms with private facilities on a breakfast basis; car rental for the agreed period on an unlimited mileage basis (includes semi-comprehensive insurance and no charge for additional driver); use of iDiscover iPad for the duration of the holiday with free WiFi; all airport taxes.
Prices excludes travel insurance, fuel, personal expenses, tips and gratuities
* Flight credit is based on a typical airfare with checked in luggage and is for budgeting purposes only. The actual cost of the flight with taxes will be advised to you when enquiring about the holiday. We will always state the lowest fare available for your route and travel dates which may mean that the price of this element may be more or less than £150. Booking early usually means the lowest price.
Choice of Vehicles
We offer a wide range of rental vehicles for this holiday provided by the local Europcar franchise. Our long-standing relationship with them means that our clients enjoy many exclusive benefits including priority on the newest and best appointed vehicles available on the day. Find out more about vehicle rental »
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary is pre-loaded onto an iPad air which you will receive when you collect your hire car. The app allows you access to a vast travel directory featuring scenic wonders, 'must-visit' sites as well as hidden gems and activities available. With 4G connectivity and built in links to weather updates and road conditions, you have all the information you need for your entire trip in one handy device.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.
Meet the team
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Northern Lights at Glymur
Summer Nights at Ranga
Winter Wildlife & Aurora Self Drive