Price Promise: on like-for-like holidays, we guarantee we won't be beaten on price!
In Jules Verne’s classic sci-fi novel you could descend into Iceland's Snaefellsjokull volcano, meet a few dinosaurs and remerge at the surface through Italy's Stromboli volcano. We can't quite match that adventure. But on this blockbuster self-drive, you’ll still witness the legendary Snaefellsnes Peninsula – and add your very own riveting chapter on the South Coast.
- Explore the Snaefellsnes Peninsula, gaze on its mighty volcano and hike the rugged coastline between Arnarstapi and Hellnar
- Drive the South Coast to the spectacular glacial lagoon of Jokulsarlon
- Walk to Svartifoss waterfall in Vatnajokull National Park
- Visit the natural wonders of the Golden Circle
- Embellish your trip with our exclusive digital travel guide - Watch video
- For winter 2018/19, book this 7 night holiday for the price of 6
Fact not fiction
Professor Otto Lidenbrock missed the point. Instead of attempting a Journey to the Centre of the Earth he should have focused on the natural wonders outside – not inside – Snaefellsjokull. This weeklong self-drive not only loops around the 1,446m-high volcano (which last erupted 1,800 years ago), but it also takes you to the surreal black-pebble beach of Djupalonssandur and the wave-gnawed cliffs and sea arches at Arnarstapi. The Snaefellsnes Peninsula has everything from forbidding cinder plains and troll-like sea stacks to friendly fishing villages and elusive Arctic foxes. You really couldn’t make it up.
The plot thickens...
The second chapter in this self-drive is packed with natural wonders in South Iceland. Another famous volcano (Eyjafjallajokull) is a looming presence as you drive along the South Coast. Iconic waterfalls like Skogafoss pour over ancient sea cliffs, while icebergs drift in the mirror-calm of Jokulsarlon lagoon. And that’s not the end of the story. Driving between the South Coast and Snaefellsnes Peninsula you will also be able to visit the Golden Circle and hike to the mighty Glymur falls.
Call our Iceland experts now
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary will be pre-loaded onto an iPad Air which you will get with your hire car and includes all the information you need for your trip.
Your staff are outstanding in their helpfulness and personal service – I have already recommended you to friends.Helen Hyde, Journey to the Centre of the Earth,
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Reykjavik
- Fly to Keflavik and collect your rental vehicle. Drive to Reykjavik for an overnight stay, perhaps taking a dip in the world-famous Blue Lagoon en route (at additional cost - pre-booking required).
- Day 2: Reykjavik - Skaftafell
- Head east over Hellisheidi, past the greenhouse village of Hveragerdi to two of Iceland's best known waterfalls, Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Visit the Skogar Museum or drive to Reynishverfi and stroll along a volcanic sand beach, backed by impressive basalt columns. Cross the eerie, moss-clad lava field Eldhraun, the biggest lava field in Iceland formed in 1783 after the Laki eruption and continue east to Skaftafell. Be sure to take a walk up to the nearby lake of Systravatn, view the delightful waterfall Systrafoss and the eroded basalt columns of Kirkjugolfid. Two nights at Hotel Skaftafell. This day involves a long drive along Iceland's South coast from Reykjavik to Skaftafell but offers plenty of interesting sightseeing spots on the way.
- Day 3: Skaftafell
- Take a hike to either the tip of the Skaftafellsjokull glacier tongue, or Svartifoss, a beautiful waterfall framed by basalt columns. In the afternoon visit the stunning glacial lagoon Jokulsarlon.
- Day 4: Skafatfell - Geysir
- Make your way back along the south coast past Myrdalsjokull and Dyrholaey with its spectacular rock arch. Visit the Thjorsadalur Valley, including the reconstructed farm at Stong, which dates from the Viking period, and finally Mount Hekla. Spend one night in Geysir at Litli Geysir Hotel in the heart of the Golden Circle.
- Day 5: Golden Circle - Snaefellsnes
- A day to explore three of Iceland's best-known natural wonders: the Geysir hot springs area, mighty Gullfoss and Thingvellir National Park for a walk around the ancient assembly site. After, continue north towards the Snaefellsnes Peninsula in West Iceland and if you wish to in the summer, take the scenic route around the edge of Hvalafjordur to visit Glymur waterfall. Spend three nights at Fransiskus Hotel in Stykkisholmur, a delightful harbour town with a strikingly modern church, and take a stroll to its connected island, Sugandisey.
- Days 6- 7: Snaefellsnes Peninsula
- Spend the next two days exploring the scenic Snaefellsnes Peninsula, walking among the fantastic coastal formations at Arnarstapi and visit the fjords and fishing villages along its north side. With good weather you may have views of the mystical cone-shaped volcano and Snaefellsjokull icecap. Or take part in optional excursions such as whale watching in Grundafjordur or horse riding on the coast (summer only).
- Day 8: Stykkisholmur- Keflavik
- Drive back towards Reykjavik, perhaps taking the coastal road around the magnificent Reykjanes peninsula, before dropping off the vehicle at Keflavik and taking the evening flight home.
- The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Accommodation OptionsThis itinerary is based on the hotels shown below in rooms with private facilities. We offer a wide range of accommodation from farms to self catering cottages, budget hotels to luxury properties, ask our Iceland experts for recommendations.
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Formerly Hotel Loftleidir, this stylish, 220-room hotel …
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Found only 5km from the Vatnajökull National Park, thes…
Hotel Litli Geysir
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
A modern building that houses 22 private, en suite rooms…
ExcursionsFrom glacier hikes to horse riding, river rafting to mountain biking, there are a wide range of optional activities available. These are just a selection of the optional activities you can choose to include on this holiday.
This popular trip takes you out into the spectacular glacia…
Into the Glacier - experience Iceland's spectacular new att…
An excursion that takes you out onto the frozen glacial ton…
Prices & Dates
Airfares start from around £100 per person and are quoted separately to the holiday price.
When enquiring, our Travel Specialists will provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport.
These are starting prices in £ per person based on 2 sharing rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
|Category||May & Sep||Jun-Aug |
|B - (CDMN) - VW Golf||£1,082||£1,285|
|D - (IWCD) - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£1,158||£1,389|
|G - (IFNN) - Toyota Rav4||£1,229||£1,550|
|I - (PFBD) - Mitsuishi Pajero||£1,342||£1,791|
|Category||Oct 2018 - Apr 2019||Special Offer price|
|D - (IWCD) - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£880||£748|
|G - (IFNN) - Toyota Rav4||£964||£829|
Winter 2018/19 prices include a free night stay at Fransiskus Hotel as part of our 3 for 2 offer as well as a free day's car hire.
Prices includes accommodation in rooms with private facilities on a breakfast basis based on 2 people sharing; car rental for the agreed period on an unlimited mileage basis (includes semi-comprehensive insurance and no charge for additional driver); use of iDiscover iPad for the duration of the holiday with free WiFi.
Prices excludes flights, travel insurance, fuel, personal expenses, tips and gratuities
Choice of Vehicles
We offer a wide range of rental vehicles for this holiday provided by the local Europcar franchise. Our long-standing relationship with them means that our clients enjoy many exclusive benefits including priority on the newest and best appointed vehicles available on the day.
Alternatively, consider renting a motorhome and use this itinerary as a route outline. You'll have complete flexibility on where you overnight, yet with the support of our excusive digital travel guide, iDiscover.
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary will be pre-loaded onto an iPad air which you will get with your hire car and includes all the information you need for your trip.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.