Spend three nights in the far north of Iceland, staying in a stylish and relaxing waterfront hotel. With the freedom of self-drive you will be able to experience the region’s spectacular natural attractions – from waterfalls and whales to the volcanic and geothermal wonders of Lake Myvatn. Suited to year round travel, bask in the glow of the midnight sun during high summer or search for the northern lights in winter.
- Enjoy the stunning harbourside location of Hotel Siglo
- Explore the extraordinary volcanic features of Lake Myvatn
- Visit spectacular waterfalls like Dettifoss and Godafoss
- Enjoy cafe culture in Akureyri and Siglufjordur
- Search for humpback and blue whales on an optional boat trip
- Use of exclusive digital travel guide iDiscover throughout
Stylish and indulgent, yet timelessly classic and understated, Hotel Siglo blends effortlessly into the traditional waterfront of Siglufjordur – a delightful fishing village at the tip of North Iceland’s Troll Peninsula. Opened in 2015, the four-star property has a green clapboard façade that’s perfectly in tune with the other colourful wooden buildings lining the fishermen’s marina. The interior is bright and elegant with polished stone floors and a sweeping staircase. With fresh fish coming straight off the boats, the restaurant is renowned for its food, while the 68 rooms and suites have window seats or balconies overlooking the marina or surrounding mountains.
Exploring North Iceland
This itinerary is designed to be entirely flexible – you can choose to do as little or as much as you like. Relax in the hotel’s outdoor hot tub, take a boat trip on the fjord or delve into the rich maritime history of Siglufjordur’s Herring Era Museum. There are some wonderful waterfront cafes where you can enjoy coffee or lunch while watching the world go by. For more of a city buzz, Akureyri (with its shops, restaurants, botanic gardens and historic centre) is just an hour’s drive south along the shores of Eyafjordur.
Husavik and Lake Myvatn
Around 2½ hours from Siglufjordur, both Husavik and Lake Myvatn are well worth a day trip. Husavik is the stepping-off point for unforgettable whale watching trips in Skjalfandi bay where you can spot everything from white-beaked dolphins and orca to humpback, minke and blue whales. The town also has a fascinating whale museum and a good selection of restaurants. Touring the Lake Myvatn area, meanwhile, will transport you into a world of pseudo-craters, lava pillars, bubbling mud pools and other volcanic shenanigans. It is also Iceland’s premier birdwatching area, with summer breeding species including Barrow's goldeneye and harlequin duck. Slightly further afield, Dettifoss (Europe’s most powerful waterfall) will hold you rapt, while the smaller falls of Godafoss, between Akureyri and Myvatn, are also well worth visiting.
Contact our Iceland experts now
We had an excellent time. My wife only had one complaint, we didn’t have long enough!Graham Whiting, Tailor made
Iceland exceeded our expectations with its dramatic volcanic landscapes, waterfalls and coastline. Every day was an adventure with different aspects of the country unfolding.Nicky & Steve Hilliar, Around Iceland
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive Iceland
- Upon arrival at Keflavik International Airport transfer to Reykjavik City Airport for the onward flight to Akureyri in north Iceland (or connect directly from Keflavik with the new Air Iceland connect flight) Upon arrival pick up your rental car for the drive to Siglo Hotel, your accommodation for 3 nights on a bed and breakfast basis.
- Days 2-3: At leisure
Choose how you spend the next few days, either exploring the wider region of perhaps simply relax in Siglufjordur enjoying what is on offer at the hotel.
Possible activities include:
- Spending the evening unwinding in the hotel's outdoor geothermal spa and sauna, searching for the northern lights (Sep-Apr)
- Gallery walk - visit four local galleries ending with a taste of locally made chocolate
- Visit a small family owned local brewery, Segull 67
- Explore the region surrounding Siglufjordur by 4x4
May - September
- Taking a fishing trip with the Hotel's own fishing boat
- Walking a variety of hiking trails that lead straight from the hotel up into the mountains and valleys surrounding Siglufjordur and Olafsfjordur - perfect for all levels of experience
- Visiting the Herring Museum full of fishing memorabilia, including two large vintage fishing boats
- Head to the Icelandic Centre of Poetry and the Folk Music Centre (Jun-Aug) for a truly cultural experience. All are in close proximity to the hotel, as well as a wide variety of artists’ studios around Siglufjordur
October - April
- Snow Shoe walking in a small forest to look for the "Hidden waterfall"
- Snowmobile excursions from nearby Olafsfjordur or Dalvik
- Day 4: Depart Iceland
- Fly back to Reykjavik (or Keflavik) and head to the Blue Lagoon (optional at additional cost) for a relaxing bathe in its milky blue waters, before transferring to Keflavik airport for the flight home.
- This itinerary can be extended to include some of the other highlights of Iceland. Please contact our travel specialists to discuss and to obtain a quote.
- Weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Accommodation OptionsThis itinerary is based on the hotels shown below in rooms with private facilities. We offer a wide range of accommodation from farms to self catering cottages, budget hotels to luxury properties, ask our Iceland experts for recommendations.
Prices & Dates
These are starting prices in £ per person based on rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
Flights are quoted separately to the holiday price. When enquiring, our experts are able to provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport.
October 2017 - April 2018
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£759||£621|
|G - Toyota Rav4||£813||£675|
|I - Mitsubshi Pajero||£869||£731|
|B - WV Golf||£819||£683|
|D - Skoda Oktavia (4WD)||£852||£716|
|G - Toyota RAV4||£882||£746|
Prices include accommodation in rooms with private facilities on a breakfast basis; return domestic flights between Reykjavik and Akureyri; car rental for the agreed period on an unlimited mileage basis (includes semi-comprehensive insurance and no charge for additional driver); use of iDiscover iPad for the duration of the holiday with free WiFi; all airport taxes;
Prices exclude flights, travel insurance, fuel, personal expenses, tips and gratuities
Choice of Vehicles
We offer a wide range of rental vehicles for this holiday provided by the local Europcar franchise. Our long-standing relationship with them means that our clients enjoy many exclusive benefits including priority on the newest and best appointed vehicles available on the day.
Alternatively, consider renting a motorhome and use this itinerary as a route outline. You'll have complete flexibility on where you overnight, yet with the support of our excusive digital travel guide, iDiscover.
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary will be pre-loaded onto an iPad air which you will get with your hire car and includes all the information you need for your trip.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.