Price Promise: on like-for-like holidays, we guarantee we won't be beaten on price!
This winter self-drive is based at Hotel Glymur in West Iceland, just a 45-minute drive from Reykjavik. The hotel occupies an incredibly picturesque spot overlooking Hvalfjordur (Whale Fjord), close to a waterfall from which it takes its name. One of the country's few boutique properties, it is a great place from which to view the aurora borealis due to its countryside location away from light pollution. As with all our self drives in Iceland, you will have use of our digital travel guide, iDiscover, for the duration of your trip.
- Sweeping views and open skies are ideal for viewing the northern lights
- Relax in outdoor hot tubs - you may be lucky and see the aurora overhead!
- Optional aurora wake up service should the lights appear
- Ideal location for exploring natural wonders by day
- Use of exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover, throughout
Iceland is situated in the middle of the 'auroral oval' - far enough north (but not too far) to make witnessing a show of the northern lights a real possibility. Although the aurora cannot be guaranteed, by staying in the countryside away from light pollution, a winter-time stay at Hotel Glymur offers very good chances should skies be clear. And if the lights make an appearance late during the night, you can request a wake up call to ensure you don’t miss out!
Contact our Iceland experts now
From booking the holiday to returning home, everything has gone exactly to plan and turned a short break into something truly spectacular.Gillian Tate, Northern Lights at Hotel Glymur
The hotels, car, iPad, restaurants, in fact everything, organised or recommended by you made for a great holiday for all the family. The experience and happy memories will stay with us all for a long time.Chris O'Dwyer , Northern Lights at Hotel Glymur
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive Iceland - Hotel Glymur
- Arrive in Keflavik and collect rental vehicle from the airport. It is an easy 90 minute drive (approx.) on well-maintained tarmac roads to Hotel Glymur in West Iceland, home for your next 3 nights (breakfast basis).
- Day 2: Explore West Iceland and Snaefellsnes
- Explore along the waterside at Hvalfjordur, the waterfalls of Hraunfossar which spill out 1 km wide from beneath the lava, and the Barnafoss rapids, which may be part-frozen in winter time. West of Hraunfossar is historic Reykholt, and Iceland's most powerful and largest hot springs at Deildartunuhver (where there is sometimes a market with local produce). Perhaps venture north to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula, with its glacier-topped volcano and pretty fishing villages. Spend this evening keeping watch for the northern lights.
- Day 3: Explore Golden Circle
- Drive the famed Golden Circle route taking in Iceland's three most famous natural wonders: thundering Gullfoss, the geothermal area at Geysir and Thingvellir National Park, where you can walk the rocky rift between the earth's tectonic plates.
- Day 4: Hotel Glymur - Keflavik
- Check out and head back to the airport*, perhaps stopping at the Blue Lagoon en route (pre booking essential), or driving the scenic route along the south coast and through acres of dramatic lava fields of the Reykjanes Peninsula.
- This itinerary can be booked as described or let us know if you'd like us to adapt or tailor make a holiday to suit you.
- Dependent on flight schedules passengers may be arriving late in the evening, or departing on an early morning flight. You may wish to add nights at either end of your stay either in Reykjavik or at the Northern Light Inn, which is just a 15 mins drive from the airport and is next to the Blue Lagoon (a dip here is recommended - extra cost - prepayable). This would allow for a more relaxed start/end to your holiday. Please contact us to discuss your options.
- The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Accommodation OptionsJust a 45 minute drive from Reykjavik and around a 90 minute drive from Keflavik International Airport, charming Hotel Glymur sits overlooking 'Whale Fjord' (Hvalfjordur) in a peaceful and stunning location. This is a great spot for those looking for a romantic break in what we consider to be one of Iceland's top hotels. It’s also ideal for families, offering beautiful 2-bedroom villas, each with private hot tubs.
As well as being close to the Golden Circle and the striking Snaefellsnes Peninsula, you’ll also be within easy reach of the fascinating Settlement Centre exhibition at Borganes, the lava waterfalls of Hraunfossar, historic Reykholt and Iceland's largest area of hot springs.
ExcursionsFrom glacier hikes to horse riding, river rafting to mountain biking, Iceland's south coast offers a range of optional activities you can choose to include on this holiday.
Prices & Dates
Airfares start from around £100 per person and are quoted separately to the holiday price.
When enquiring, our Travel Specialists will provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport.
These are starting prices in £ per person based on rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
October 2017 - April 2018
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£332|
|H - Kia Sorrento||£385|
|I - Mitsubshi Pajero||£415|
Prices include Accommodation in rooms with private facilities on a breakfast basis; car rental for the agreed period on an unlimited mileage basis (includes semi-comprehensive insurance and no charge for additional driver); use of iDiscover iPad for the duration of the holiday with free WiFi; a Northern Lights Bradt Guide.
Prices excludes Flights, travel insurance, fuel, personal expenses, tips and gratuities
Choice of Vehicles
We offer a wide range of rental vehicles for this holiday provided by the local Europcar franchise. Our long-standing relationship with them means that our clients enjoy many exclusive benefits including priority on the newest and best appointed vehicles available on the day.
Alternatively, consider renting a motorhome and use this itinerary as a route outline. You'll have complete flexibility on where you overnight, yet with the support of our excusive digital travel guide, iDiscover.
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary will be pre-loaded onto an iPad air which you will get with your hire car and includes all the information you need for your trip.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.