This popular two-centre escorted short break provides excellent opportunities for seeing the northern lights combined with sightseeing around Iceland's picturesque southwest. Stay at stylish Hotel Ranga in a stunning rural location ensuring you’ll be perfectly situated to view the aurora borealis should they appear.
- Stay in one of Iceland's finest countryside properties for your first two nights
- Optional wake-up call during the night should a northern lights display occur
- Night sky viewing from Ranga's observatory
- Ideal location for exploring Iceland's scenic sights by day
- Visit Reykjavik as well as the Golden Circle trio of natural wonders
On this enticing short break, during the day, you’ll get a taste of Iceland’s finest natural wonders as you explore the famous Golden Circle with its waterfalls and geysers, as well as bathe in the naturally heated waters of the Blue Lagoon.
And at night, the odds of seeing the northern lights are as good as they can be thanks to fantastic countryside location. Hotel Ranga is in a prime location for aurora watching with vast, uninterrupted views helping to optimise any sightings. It also offers a fine dining restaurant, exceptionally appointed rooms, hot tubs and an aurora wake up service as well as a specially built observatory with retractable roof and computerised telescopes for optimum night sky viewing
Your third night on this break will be spent at the aptly named Northern Light Inn - set amongst a great expanse of lavascape next to the Blue Lagoon. The perfect end to your Icelandic encounter!
Group sizes are usually around 15-25 people (maximum 29).
I don't normally do this, but felt I wanted to say thank you for the excellent service both here and while we were travelling in Iceland. The hotels, our driver and our guide were full of knowledge and couldn't have been more helpful...What a fantastic place Iceland is!Kathy White, Northern Lights Special
If you hadn't been so helpful we wouldn't have visited Iceland this year and I'm so delighted we did.Nikki Ilton, Northern Lights Special
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive Iceland
- Arrive in Keflavik in the late afternoon. The group will then be transferred with their guide to Hotel Ranga for a two night stay on a half board basis (dinner will be a 3 course set menu). Please note that arrangements are usually made for participants to dine as a group.
- Day 2: Golden Circle
- Spend the day exploring the famed Golden Circle route including Thingvellir National Park, where you can walk the rift in between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates, the spectacular two-tiered waterfall Gullfoss and the spouting geysers of Geysir.
- Day 3: Reykjavik - Blue Lagoon
Head into Reykjavik and visit the old town and Perlan - a distinctive hilltop building with a viewing platform and revolving restaurant under a glass dome. Continue to the world famous Blue Lagoon for a dip in the warm waters then transfer to the Northern Light Inn for an overnight stay.
The guide will leave the group upon arrival at the hotel. The dining options for this evening vary but your guide and the reception staff will be able to make a recommendation should you wish. All dining options for this evening are payable locally.
- Day 4: depart Iceland
- Transfer to Keflavik for the flight back to the UK. If your flight is in the afternoon you may want to book an optional excursion to the volcanic Reykjanes Peninsula (subject to minimum numbers).
- This itinerary is based around flights which arrive at Keflavik at 16:00. Other flight options are available from the UK but may involve a short wait upon arrival in Iceland or require extra nights to be added in Iceland before and/or after the tour. Please contact our team of travel specialists to discuss the options available to you.
- The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Prices & Dates
Departure Dates Winter 2016-2017
22 & 27 October
3 & 10 November
9, 11, 16 & 23 February
Prices in £ per person based on rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
|2016-17 Season||3 nights|
Prices include flight credit of £150*; airport transfers; 2 nights accommodation in rooms with private facilities on half board basis in a standard room at Hotel Ranga, (dinner is a 3-course set menu and arrangements are usually made for participants to dine as a group) and 1 night accommodation at Northern Light Inn on a breakfast basis; entrance to Blue Lagoon as per itinerary; services of a driver/guide, excursions as detailed in the itineraries and a Northern Lights Bradt Guide
Prices exclude any optional excursions; all drinks with evening meals.
* Flight credit is based on a typical airfare for a budget airline with checked in luggage and the actual cost of the flight will be shown on your quotation. This may reduce or increase the cost of your holiday
Important note this tour operates on minimum numbers. Please refer to our booking conditions for more details.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.