Get a taste of Iceland with the freedom to explore at your own pace on this city based 4-night break. With the help of our exclusive iDiscover digital guide, this independent self drive holiday is aimed at those who want to explore Iceland’s capital and the wealth of natural wonders on its doorstep, without the need to join group excursions or to change accommodation. Great value for families too!
- Experience Iceland’s unique culture from your city base
- Explore the famous Golden Circle, including the continental rift at Thingvellir and geothermal Geysir
- Relax in the world-famous Blue Lagoon
- Marvel at the thundering waterfalls, Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss
- Enjoy one of the world's best hotdogs at Reykjavik harbour's hotdog stand
- Use of exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover, throughout
Just a three hour flight from the UK and a short transfer to this small city, Reykjavik is a place with much to offer. With its charming architecture, buzzing cultural scene, world class restaurants, as assortment of museums and galleries, complemented by a number of iconic tourist sites, it has something for everyone. A fantastic short break any time of year, it can easily be explored on foot although the flexibility of having a car on this 4-night holiday allows you to explore just that little bit further.
Iceland is well known for its dramatic scenery and plethora of natural wonders that simply fill the countryside, mile upon mile. Just a short hop from Reykjavik can be found some of its iconic sites, including the famed Golden Circle, comprising of Gullfoss, Geysir and Thingvellir National Park. Also within easy reach are the spectacular waterfalls, Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss.
The itinerary we set out is for guidance only, to highlight just some of the places of interest you can fit into this trip. Talk to our team of dedicated Iceland Travel Specialists about your specific interests and, if necessary, they can adapt your itinerary to suit.
We enjoyed Iceland so much that we shall most probably be revisiting next year.Nigel & Carol Malcolm, Reykjavik Explorer
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Reykjavik
- Fly from the UK to Keflavik, collect rental vehicle and drive to Reykjavik. Check into Hotel Cabin for 4 nights. For those on morning or afternoon flights, perhaps make a detour to the amazing Blue Lagoon before you reach Reykjavik. Otherwise, we recommend you visit this 'must-see' attraction at some point during your holiday.
- Day 2: Golden Circle
- A day to explore the famed Golden Circle route, comprising of the thundering falls at Gullfoss, the geothermal Geysir area and Thingvellir National Park.
- Day 3: explore the countryside
- Head south and east along the coast and see two beautiful waterfalls, Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss, the Skogar Folk Museum, and possibly even Vik and the rugged coastline at Dyrholaey. Perhaps take an optional snowmobiling excursion on Myrdalsjokull Glacier (at additional cost).
- Day 4: Reykjavik or explore further
- A chance to explore Reykjavik or if you prefer, drive north to the picturesque Hvalfjordur, continuing to Hraunfossar falls and Iceland's largest hot springs area, Deildartunguhver. Visit the historic centre of Reykholt.
- Day 5: depart Keflavik
- Check out, drive to Keflavik, drop off vehicle and fly back to the UK.
- We can add extra nights to tailor our itineraries to your exact requirements (subject to availability). Contact us to discuss your plans.
- The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Hotel Cabin, Reykjavik
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Superb value for your money, this 252-room hotel is for …
Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
A fresh and funky hotel with a lively vibe in a great do…
ExcursionsFrom glacier hikes to horse riding, river rafting to mountain biking, Iceland's south coast offers a range of optional activities you can choose to include on this holiday.
This unique superjeep and hiking tour explores the other-wo…
An excursion that takes you out onto the frozen glacial ton…
Prices & Dates
Prices are approximate in £ per person based on rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
Please note for accommodation we have prices listed for 2 people sharing, however there are other combinations are available. Please contact us with your requirements.
Oct 2016 & Apr 2017
|D- Skoga Octavia (4WD)||£654|
|G - Suzuki Grand Vitara||
|H - Kia Sorrento||£719|
Nov 2016 - Mar 2017
|D- Skoga Octavia (4WD)||£582|
|G - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£631|
|H - Kia Sorrento||£647|
May & September 2017
|B - VW Golf||£682|
|D- Skoga Octavia (4WD)||£723|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£752|
June, July & August 2017
|B - VW Golf||£844|
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£906|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£982|
Prices include flight credit of £150* from 1 October - 30 April or £250* from 1 May - 30 September; accommodation in rooms with private facilities on a breakfast basis; car rental for the agreed period on an unlimited mileage basis (includes semi-comprehensive insurance and no charge for additional driver); use of iDiscover iPad for the duration of the holiday with free WiFi; all airport taxes; Northern Lights Bradt Guide (for departures from 1 September - 15 April only). The price is FULLY GUARANTEED against any surcharges or increases.
Prices excludes travel insurance, fuel, personal expenses, tips and gratuities
* Flight credit is based on a typical airfare with checked in luggage and is for budgeting purposes only. The actual cost of the flight with taxes will be advised to you when enquiring about the holiday. We will always state the lowest fare available for your route and travel dates which may mean that the price of this element may be more or less than the credit. Booking early usually means the lowest price.
Note: this trip is based at Hotel Cabin although it is possible to upgrade to a 4 star hotel if preferred. Enquire about our family savings.
Choice of Vehicles
We offer a wide range of rental vehicles for this holiday provided by the local Europcar franchise. Our long-standing relationship with them means that our clients enjoy many exclusive benefits including priority on the newest and best appointed vehicles available on the day.
Alternatively, consider renting a motorhome and use this itinerary as a route outline. You'll have complete flexibility on where you overnight, yet with the support of our excusive digital travel guide, iDiscover.
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary will be pre-loaded onto an iPad air which you will get with your hire car and includes all the information you need for your trip.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.