Based in a rural bolthole in the heart of southwest Iceland’s beautiful countryside, this six-day, expert-guided holiday takes you on a series of unforgettable journeys. Travelling by luxury 4WD vehicle, you’ll explore the South Coast, Golden Circle and Highlands, visiting famous landmarks and discovering hidden gems.
- Visit the spectacular mountains and hot springs of Landmannalaugar
- Drive to the breathtaking valley of Thorsmork, deep in the interior
- Witness the magic of the Golden Circle’s trio of natural wonders
- Explore black-sand beaches, secret waterfalls and glaciers along the South Coast
- Travel in a small group of up to 12 in the company of an expert guide
- Experience the thrill of exploring Iceland by luxury 4WD Mercedes supertruck
Once you arrive at Hotel Selid, a rural property full of charm and character in Iceland’s southwest, you will be able to unpack, relax and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a single base for the duration of your holiday. Setting out each day in a specially adapted, luxury 4WD supertruck with 42-inch tyres and raised suspension, your expert driver-guide will take you in search of the region’s natural wonders – fording streams and tackling rough tracks to show you lesser-known highlights as well as famous landmarks.
Coast and mountains
A day exploring the incredible Golden Circle is the perfect start to this holiday. A mesmerising medley of erupting geysers, thundering cascades and plate-tectonics, it sets the scene for Iceland’s extraordinary range of landscapes and geographical features. Renowned for its dramatic black-sand beaches, troll-like sea stacks and seabird-nesting cliffs, the South Coast also has more than its fair share of waterfalls – from big, bold Skogafoss to the secret, delicate plume of Gljufrafoss. Perhaps the most head-spinning scenery of all, however, is to be found in the interior. Landmannalaugar has hot springs, lava flows, blue lakes and rhyolite mountains daubed yellow, red and grey, while the rugged ranges and wooded valleys of Thorsmork, hemmed in by glaciers on three sides, look straight out of Lord of the Rings.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive Iceland
- Arrive at Keflavik International Airport in the late afternoon and meet your group and driver/guide. Once everyone has assembled, set off in a luxury 4 wheel drive mini bus (at approximately 15:45-16:00) to Hotel Selid, located near the small village of Hvolsvollur. This is your accommodation for the next 5 nights on a full board basis (with packed lunches).
- Day 2: Golden Circle
- Explore this magnificent trio of natural wonders - the much admired Gullfoss, a spectacular two-tiered waterfall that thunders down into a steep sided canyon, the Geysir geothermal region, from which all other geysers take their name and where you can watch Strokkur erupt time after time, and Thingvellir National Park, where the historic ancient parliament assembled amongst tectonic rifts and brooding mountains.
- Day 3: Fjallabak and Landmannalaugar
Head into the highlands and the Fjallabak Nature Reserve. Drive through vast lava fields, pass the lakes Hnausapollur and Ljotipollur, before stopping at Lake Frostastadavatn for a brief walk in the incredible surroundings. On the journey enjoy views of steep volcanic mountains and rough lava fields, witness the geothermal springs and naturally heated rivers which criss-cross their way across the moon like terrain and watch in awe as the 4 wheel drive vehicle thunders its way over and around seemingly unpassable obstacles.
Continue to Landmannalaugar where you can relax in a geothermal pool created when many hot and cold springs in the area combine - resulting in ideal bathing temperatures of around 36-40°C all year around. After drying off, head back to Hotel Selid, arriving in time for dinner.
- Day 4: Thorsmork
- Take a challenging drive along the base of Eyjafjallajokull, the infamous glacier covered volcano which erupted in 2010, to the breathtaking Thorsmork Valley. Here walk in a landscape of gorges, glaciers and torrents in what is one of Iceland's true wonders. Also stop at Seljalandsfoss waterfall, possibly Iceland's most photogenic, where in the right conditions it is possible to walk behind and view it from a totally different perspective.
- Day 5: South Coast
- Travel east and visit the wide thundering curtain of Skogafoss waterfall and the little town of Vik with its hilltop church, dramatic black sand beaches, basalt cliffs and distinctive sea stacks. Continue to Fjadrargljufur near Kirkjubaejarklaustur, a real hidden gem which was recently voted "the world's most beautiful canyon" by travel and lifestyle website "Where the Cool Things Happen".
- Day 6: Reykjanes Peninsula and depart Iceland
- Head west to the Reykjanes Peninsula,cross dramatic lava flows and witness steaming vents and bubbling mud pools at Krysuvik. Continue west to the Reykjanesviti lighthouse, see migratory birding cliffs and walk across the bridge between two continents on the mid-Atlantic ridge, before transferring to Keflavik International Airport for your flight home.
Accommodation OptionsThis itinerary is based on the hotels shown below in rooms with private facilities. We offer a wide range of accommodation from farms to self catering cottages, budget hotels to luxury properties, ask our Iceland experts for recommendations.
Prices & Dates
These are starting prices in £ per person based on rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
Flights are quoted separately to the holiday price. When enquiring, our experts are able to provide the best fare possible from your preferred airline / airport.
Two sharing £2,029
Price includes 5 nights accommodation in room with private facilities on a full board basis, starting from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 6 (dinner is a 3 course set menu, for most evening meals arrangements are made for participants to dine as a group, lunch is a packed lunch); services of a driver guide and excursions as detailed in the itinerary.
Price excludes flights, any optional excursions; all drinks with evening meals, travel insurance, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
Saturday 30 June 2018
Please note departures are subject to minimum numbers
Group Size: maximum 10 participants.
Airfares between UK and Iceland are quoted separately to ensure you the best price find out more »
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.