This exciting self drive short break provides a glimpse of the fiery side of Iceland, with a liberal splattering of impressive waterfalls and magnificent glaciers. Focusing on the south-west corner of the island, one action packed day follows another. Your own personalised digital guide, iDiscover will be given to you with your hire car and will contain all the information you need.
- Famous Golden Circle
- Visit a town part buried by lava and ash
- South coast
- Deserted black sand beaches
- Roam the Reykjanes Peninsula
- Use of exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover, throughout
- Accommodation in rooms with private facilities
Enjoy a leisurely start to your holiday staying at the Northern Light Inn not far from the airport and in close proximity to one of Iceland's primary visitor attractions, the Blue Lagoon. Enjoy a relaxing dip in preparation for the spectacular sights to follow, including the trio of natural wonders on the Golden Circle route.
On a day trip by ferry (booked separately) to the volcanic Westman Islands, walk through houses excavated from the ash of the massive 1973 eruption, then head along the coast to see puffin colonies (summer only) or opt for one of the thrilling possibilities to get onto the nearby Solheimajokull glacier - include riding a snowmobile, a superjeep trip, or even a glacier walk.
Reykjanes is the rugged peninsula in Iceland's south west where you'll find a moody lavascape and surf pounded, black sand beaches, hot springs, bubbling mud pools, a 'mysterious' lake and tectonic rifts. Take in these last few other worldly sites before heading home.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Keflavik - Blue Lagoon
- Fly to Keflavik. Collect your rental vehicle and drive to the Northern Light Inn close to the Blue Lagoon and perhaps take an evening dip in its therapeutic waters (entrance fee at extra cost - pre-payable).
- Day 2: Reykjanes - Fludir
- Enjoy the famous trio of natural wonders on the Golden Circle route: Gullfoss, a stunning two-tiered waterfall and gorge; Geysir, where you'll witness the geyser Strokkur erupt every few minutes and Thingvellir National Park, site of the historic Althing assembly, where tectonic rifts are visible on the surface. Overnight at Hotel Fludir where crops are grown using geothermal heat.
- Day 3: Westman Islands
- Hop across to Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands), a short ferry ride away and explore the volcanic island of Heimaey. Climb the crater Eldfell, whose 1973 eruption buried one third of the island's houses under lava and ash. Walk through the lava and visit the houses excavated from the ash. Walk or drive along the coast to the puffin colonies and Storhofdi viewpoint (summer only). Back on the mainland, stay 2 nights in the Vik area.
- Day 4: exploring the south coast
- A day of mouth-watering scenery begins as you approach the 8km long Solheimajokull glacier. Optional guided glacier walk on this massive creaking tongue of ice (at additional cost). Snowmobile and jeep tours on Myrdalsjokull icecap are also on offer. Feel the spray at the foot of 60m high Skogafoss falls and visit the nearby Skogar Folk Museum and its turf farm. At Dyrholaey Nature Reserve, see the impressive rock arch and watch puffins (summer only) and other seabirds. Stroll on the black sand beaches near Vik and marvel at the troll-like rock stacks and basalt columns.
- Day 5: Reykjanes Peninsula - Keflavik
- Driving to Keflavik through the Reykjanes Peninsula you will cross dramatic lava flows, witness steaming vents and bubbling mud pools at Krisuvik and walk across the bridge between the two continents which is situated on the mid-Atlantic ridge. Return your rental car at the airport.
- The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Iceland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Accommodation OptionsThis itinerary is based on the hotels shown below in rooms with private facilities. We offer a wide range of accommodation from farms to self catering cottages, budget hotels to luxury properties, ask our Iceland experts for recommendations.
Northern Light Inn
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
This delightful 42-room hotel sits on the volcanic Reykj…
Icelandair Hotel Vik
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
An elegant new hotel with a stunning glass building maki…
ExcursionsFrom glacier hikes to horse riding, river rafting to mountain biking, Iceland's south coast offers a range of optional activities you can choose to include on this holiday.
Prices & Dates
Prices are in £ per person based on rooms with private facilities, unless otherwise stated.
|B - VW Golf||£922|
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£963|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£992|
June, July & August 2017
|B - VW Golf||£1,131|
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£1,193|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£1,269|
|B - VW Golf||£960|
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£1,001|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£1,030|
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£813|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£851|
November 2017 - April 2018
|D - Skoda Octavia (4WD)||£755|
|F - Suzuki Grand Vitara||£788|
Prices include flight credit of £150* from 1 October - 30 April or £250* from 1 May - 30 September; accommodation in rooms with private facilities on a breakfast basis; car rental for the agreed period on an unlimited mileage basis (includes semi-comprehensive insurance and no charge for additional driver); top up insurance with Insurance4carhire covering most excess charges – valid for European car rental for a year (Included for bookings up until 30th September 2016);’ use of iDiscover iPad for the duration of the holiday with free WiFi; all airport taxes;
Prices excludes travel insurance, fuel, personal expenses, tips and gratuities
* Flight credit is based on a typical airfare with checked in luggage and is for budgeting purposes only. The actual cost of the flight with taxes will be advised to you when enquiring about the holiday. We will always state the lowest fare available for your route and travel dates which may mean that the price of this element may be more or less than the credit. Booking early usually means the lowest price.
Choice of Vehicles
We offer a wide range of rental vehicles for this holiday provided by the local Europcar franchise. Our long-standing relationship with them means that our clients enjoy many exclusive benefits including priority on the newest and best appointed vehicles available on the day. Find out more about vehicle rental »
Alternatively, consider renting a motorhome and use this itinerary as a route outline. You'll have complete flexibility on where you overnight, yet with the support of our excusive digital travel guide, iDiscover.
iDiscover digital guide
If you book any self drive in Iceland with us you will also get free use of our exclusive digital travel guide, iDiscover. Your personalised itinerary will be pre-loaded onto an iPad air which you will get with your hire car and includes all the information you need for your trip.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.