If you’ve always dreamed of seeing the northern lights, this three-night break maximises your chances. Abisko National Park is the most reliable place in the world for aurora sightings and we can arrange easy access to its Aurora Sky Station for unforgettable night-sky viewing. Our exclusive direct flights take you straight to nearby Kiruna and we can also arrange some fabulous winter activities when you’re not aurora hunting.
- Fly direct from Heathrow to Kiruna on our exclusive flights
- Increase your chances of seeing the aurora by staying three nights in Abisko
- Stay at Abisko Mountain Station exclusive to Discover the World during winter
- Ride a chairlift to the Aurora Sky Station for a chance to see the northern lights
- Enjoy a delicious four-course dinner of local cuisine at the Aurora Sky Station
- Explore the national park on a range of optional winter activities
Northern Lights watching in Abisko
No one can guarantee a sighting of the aurora borealis, but this superb winter break does everything to boost your chances. Firstly, it gives you three whole nights in Abisko. This magnificent national park is not only right in the middle of the auroral oval at 68oN, but it also lies in a rain shadow with more nights of clear skies than anywhere in Europe. These two key factors lead to the northern lights appearing over Abisko more reliably than anywhere else in the world. There is no artificial light pollution in the national park, while the mountaintop Aurora Sky Station provides big-sky views of the cosmos.
Abisko Mountain Station
During your holiday, you will be based at the Abisko Mountain Station, the only hotel in the national park. Our special partnership with the Mountain Station means we can offer you exclusive accommodation during the northern lights watching season. The hotel is just a short walk from the chairlift ride up to the Aurora Sky Station. During the days, you will be able to enjoy exciting activities such as snowshoeing and cross-country skiing through snow-covered forests and fells beside Lake Tornetrask.
Aurora Sky Station
Travelling to the Aurora Sky Station is a big part of the fun and anticipation of a northern lights vigil in Abisko. We’ll make sure you’re wrapped up warm for the 20-minute chairlift ride. On your second night, you will be served a four-course meal at the summit – enjoying delicious home-cooked Swedish cuisine while keeping watch for the aurora through the station’s large picture windows. There's also an interesting northern lights exhibition, while the outside decks promise superb views of the night sky.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: London - Kiruna
- Fly from Heathrow to Kiruna on our exclusive direct flight and transfer to the Abisko Mountain Station (journey time 75 minutes) which will be your home for the next three nights. Following a three-course dinner, meet your guide for a Northern Lights Hunt to the Abisko Naturum museum where you will learn about the national park’s geology, flora, fauna, climate and cultural history, as well as the aurora borealis. With luck, this will also be your first opportunity to witness the northern lights. Overnight at Abisko Mountain Station.
- Day 2: exploring Abisko | Dinner at Abisko Sky Station
- Spend the day at leisure in Abisko. Take part in one of the many optional excursions available or just soak up the beautiful surroundings of the national park. In the early evening, take a 15-minute walk to the base of the mountain, where you’ll be kitted out in warm clothing. You will then travel by chairlift (a 20-minute ride) to the Aurora Sky Station, enjoying a head start over other guests to enjoy the magical mountaintop setting. As your eyes become accustomed to the night sky, you will hopefully be rewarded with head-spinning views of the cosmos. Enjoy a four-course dinner inspired by local Nordic cuisine and served in the Sky Station’s cosy restaurant. After dinner, there will be an opportunity to learn more about the mysterious northern lights and, with a bit of luck, witness the unforgettable spectacle of the aurora pulsing green and crimson overhead. Overnight at Abisko Mountain Station.
- Day 3: Abisko National Park and visit Abisko Sky Station
- Another day to explore Abisko National Park by snowshoe or on one of the many optional excursions available. After dinner, walk to the chairlift station for your second ride up to the Aurora Sky Station and another amazing opportunity to see the northern lights.
- Day 4: Kiruna - London
- After breakfast, transfer to Kiruna airport for your direct flight back to London Heathrow.
- Sightings of the northern lights cannot be guaranteed. Should it not be possible to go to the Aurora Sky Station, an alternative viewing area will be chosen subject to local conditions.
- Due to the nature of the Abisko Sky Station chair-lift experience we do not recommend this for children under the age of 12 years.
- The weather in Sweden can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Sweden will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Prices & Dates
|From £ per person||Dec 2017 - Mar 2018 |
Prices include return direct flights between London Heathrow and Kiruna (with complimentary in-flight meal, beer, wine and soft drinks); 3 nights at Abisko in standard twin bedded room with private facilities; breakfast buffet throughout; plus a 3-course set evening meal at Abisko on the first and last night; chairlift excursion to the Sky Station on the third night; four course dinner at the Aurora Sky Station on the second night; all transfers and services of a Discover the World representative and airport taxes.
Direct Flight - Departure Dates
16, 23 & 26 December 2017
20 & 27 January 2018
10, 17 & 24 February 2018
03 March 2018
Heathrow to Kiruna SK7896 Dep: 10.35 | Arr: 15.05
Kiruna to Heathrow SK7895 Dep: 14.30 | Arr: 16.55
Please contact our team to book your place on one of our direct flights for winter 2017-2018.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.