This inclusive New Year break takes you to the stunning and remote Malangen Resort, situated south of Tromso on the shores of Malangen fjord and set in natural surroundings away from city lights, optimising aurora watching potential. Malangen’s superb collection of stylish accommodation and activities make this a great trip to celebrate the New Year in style.
- Stylish fjord-view resort with excellent accommodation options
- Great northern lights activity at Camp Nikka
- Authentic winter activities included
- New Year Gala dinner with fireworks
Malangen Resort is located 65 km south from the popular northern city of Tromso and has become a big hit with our guests. It comprises of a stylish hotel complete with chic and spacious rooms, restaurant, lounge area, reception and bar. The sea-view apartments and modern cabins, all with fjord view are just a short walk away offering spacious accommodation ideal for families or friends travelling together. One of the biggest attractions is wilderness centre Camp Nikka where the Northern Light excursion operates from. Set just a short walk from the hotel, this is a great place from which to keep watch for the aurora, around a campfire at a wooden lavvu with hot soup or stew served.
This inclusive break includes return transfers between Tromso airport and Malangen (approximately 90 minutes), and after checking in enjoy a welcome drink of hot chocolate and mintuu, a Scandinavian specialty. The next few days allows you plenty of time to relax as well as join some thrilling winter activities.
One of the highlights is the Northern Light Watch which starts in the evening at 21.30 hours; included is a briefing about this natural phenomenon and a guided trip to Camp Nikka, dependent on aurora viewing conditions at the time where you can sit around an open fire to keep warm, enjoy a tasty soup or stew and wait with anticipation for the lights to appear. Once back at the hotel the guides continue to keep watch and should a display occur, opt to be woken with a magical Sami song so that you can dash outside and see the dancing display for yourself; sightings this far north in such a remote location are often spectacular.
Also included in this package are a dog sledding safari, snowshoe trek and sami storytelling, offering an authentic and unforgettable experience, with full instructions and winter clothing included. There are also optional activities you can choose to add to your itinerary (subject to availability) with snowmobiling (suitable for adults only), nordic skiing in the forest and fat bike rental available.
Winter activity guarantee: Malangen has access to a mountain camp (90 minutes away), so if weather conditions at the resort mean that some activities can't be taken there, guests are transported to the other camp and can still join the winter adventures.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1 (28 Dec) Arrive Tromso
- Fly direct from London Gatwick to Tromso. On arrival you are met and transferred to Malangen Resort (approximately 90 minutes). Check-in and enjoy a special welcome drink followed by a light meal.
- Days 2-5 (29 Dec-01 Jan) winter activities and New Year celebration
- There is plenty of time to relax and enjoy the snowy surrounds while you get ready for the New Year. Included on the 5 night break are winter activities dog sledding, snowshoe walk and sami storytelling. On one of the evenings embark on the Northern Light Watch at Camp Nikka, with presentation and hot meal provided late in the evening. The New Year's Eve dinner includes a 5 course dinner including glass of sparkling wine and fireworks at midnight to see in the new year! There are also other optional activities to fill the time and available to pre-book. The exact order of activities will be confirmed locally.
- Day 6 (02 Jan) Depart Malangen
- After breakfast, an early departure transfer to Tromso Airport for your flight home.
Prices & Dates
Prices from per person - 28 December 2018 for 5 nights
|Malangen room type||Adult (two sharing)||Single room||Child (under 15 - sharing with two adults)|
|Fjord view Apartment||£1,855||£2,390||£1,057|
|Cabin with fjord view||£2,026||£2,731||£1,057|
|Deluxe Cabin with fjord view||£2,284||£3,249||£1,057|
Price includes: Flights from London Gatwick to Tromso (direct), returning via Oslo with Norwegian airlines, all airport taxes and surcharges, transfer to Malangen Resort; Welcome drink on arrival; 5 nights accommodation at Malangen based on half board; New Year’s Eve gala dinner which includes: a glass of sparkling wine at Naust Pub, a 5 course dinner with live music in the main restaurant and fireworks at midnight; Northern Lights Watch including briefing and Camp Nikka visit for aurora viewing (not guaranteed) and wake up service; Dog sled safari; Trappers trek on snowshoes; Sami Storytelling and transfer back to Tromso airport.
Price excludes: meals unless otherwise stated; beverages; optional winter activities.
Please note, if you have younger children and the evening Northern Light Watch is not suitable due to the late times, we can always adapt the itinerary to make it more convenient.
28 Dec Departs London Gatwick at 14.20, arriving Tromso 18.50
02 Jan Departs Tromso at 10.45, arriving Oslo 12.40
02 Jan Departs Oslo at 13.20, arriving London Gatwick 14.40
All prices are subject to availability.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.