This inclusive New Year break takes you to the stunning and remote Malangen Resort, situated south of Tromso on the shores of Malangen fjord and set in natural surroundings away from city lights, optimising aurora watching potential. Malangen’s superb collection of stylish accommodation and activities make this a great trip to celebrate the New Year in style.
- Stylish fjord-view resort with excellent accommodation options
- Great northern lights activity at Camp Nikka
- Authentic winter activities included
- New Year Gala dinner with fireworks
Malangen Resort is located 65 km south from the popular northern city of Tromso and has quickly become an instant hit with our guests. It comprises of a stylish hotel complete with chic and spacious rooms, restaurant, lounge area, reception and bar. The sea-view apartments and modern cabins, all with fjord view are just a short walk away offering spacious accommodation ideal for families or friends travelling together. One of the biggest attractions is wilderness centre Camp Nikka where the Northern Light excursion operates from. Set just a short walk from the hotel, this is a great place from which to keep watch for the aurora, around a campfire at a wooden lavvu with hot soup or stew served.
This inclusive break includes return transfers between Tromso airport and Malangen (approximately 90 minutes), and after checking in enjoy a welcome drink of hot chocolate and mintuu, a Scandinavian specialty, before the evening meal. The next few days allows you plenty of time to relax as well as join some thrilling winter activities.
One of the highlights is the Northern Light Watch which starts in the evening at 21.30 hours; included is a briefing about this natural phenomenon and a guided trip to Camp Nikka, dependent on aurora viewing conditions at the time where you can sit around an open fire to keep warm, enjoy a tasty soup or stew and wait with anticipation for the lights to appear. Once back at the hotel the guides continue to keep watch and should a display occur, opt to be woken with a magical Sami song so that you can dash outside and see the dancing display for yourself; sightings this far north in such a remote location are often spectacular.
Also included in this package are a dog sledding safari and sami storytelling, both offering an authentic and unforgettable experience, with full instructions and winter clothing included. The schedule for the activities is not set and will be confirmed locally, ensuring small groups to enjoy a more personal experience. There are also optional activities you can choose to add to your itinerary with snowmobiling (suitable for adults only), nordic skiing in the forest, Snowshoeing and fat bike rental available.
Winter activity guarantee: Malangen has access to a mountain camp (90 minutes away), so if weather conditions at the resort mean that some activities can't be taken there, guests are transported to the other camp and can still join the husky and snowmobiling adventures.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1 (29 Dec) Arrive Tromso
- Fly to Tromso via Oslo. On arrival you are met and transferred to Malangen Resort (approximately 90 minutes). Check-in and enjoy a special welcome drink followed by the evening meal.
- Days 2-4 (30 Dec-01 Jan) winter activities and New Year celebration
- There is plenty of time to relax and enjoy the snowy surrounds while you get ready for the New Year. Included on the 4 night break are winter activities dog sledding and sami storytelling. On one of the evenings embark on the Northern Light Watch at Camp Nikka, with presentation and hot meal provided late in the evening. The New Year's Eve dinner includes a 5 course dinner including glass of sparkling wine and fireworks at midnight to see in the new year! There are also other optional activities to fill the time and available to pre-book. The exact order of activities will be confirmed locally.
- Day 5 (02 Jan) Depart Malangen
- After breakfast, you have some free time before the transfer back to Tromso Airport for your flight home.
Prices & Dates
Prices from per person - 29 December 2017
|Malangen room type||Adult (two sharing)||Single room||Child (sharing with two adults)|
|Fjord view Apartment||£1,548||£2,009||£838|
|Cabin with fjord view||£1,698||£2,309||£838|
|Deluxe Cabin with fjord view||£1,926||£2,765||£838|
Price includes: Return flights from London Heathrow to Tromso via Oslo with Scandinavian airlines, all airport taxes and surcharges, transfers to Malangen Resort; Welcome drink on arrival; 4 nights accommodation at Malangen based on half board with New Year's eve dinner; Northern Lights Watch including briefing and Camp Nikka visit for aurora viewing (not guaranteed) and wake up service; Dog sled safari; Sami Storytelling and transfer back to Tromso airport.
Price excludes: meals unless otherwise stated; beverages; optional winter activity.
Please note, if you have younger children and the evening Northern Light Watch is not suitable due to the late times, we can always adapt the itinerary to make it more convenient.
The flight departure from London to Tromso with Scandinavian Airlines is scheduled as below:
29 Dec Departs London Heathrow 10.20, arrives Oslo 13.30
29 Dec Departs Oslo 16.55, arrives Tromso 18.50
02 Jan Departs Tromso 13.55, arrives Oslo 15.50
02 Jan Departs Oslo 17.05, arrives London Heathrow 18.30
All prices are subject to availability.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.