This special New Year trip includes a variety of unforgettable experiences so you can see in 2017 in style. Stay in the homely rooms at Camp Ripan, where you can enjoy a host of optional activities, and at the unique and quite incredible Icehotel. And for the ultimate chance to see the northern lights, spend a night in Abisko National Park and visit the Aurora Sky Station, widely believed to be one of the best places to view the aurora borealis.
- experience the spectacular Icehotel
- visit the Aurora Sky Station where with luck you'll see the northern lights
- chance to try snowmobiling, husky sledding, reindeer safari and more
- enjoy a special New Year’s Eve dinner
Your adventure includes a night at the famous Icehotel, where you’ll experience ‘sleeping on ice’. You’ll also be able to tour around this amazing structure marvelling at the individually designed art suites created by internationally renowned artists, and enjoy a colourful cocktail or two in the Icebar.
Abisko National Park
Journey to the Abisko Mountain Station located in the beautiful Abisko National Park, overlooking Lake Tornetrask, which is a convenient walking distance from the chairlift up to the Aurora Sky Station. The Mountain Station is the only hotel within the national park and is not to be mistaken for the Abisko Mountain Lodge, set in Abisko Village. At the Abisko Mountain Station you can enjoy peace and quiet and, more importantly, no light pollution to hinder your northern lights viewing. More about the aurora »
The dramatic and unique views over the Lake Tornetrask and the surrounding mountains are the perfect stage for the light show above. The Aurora Sky Station at the summit offers unique and excellent northern lights viewing from a large outside deck area, and inside you can relax and warm up by a log fire at the inviting cafe/restaurant. And obviously, with such expanses of sky here and spectacular auroral appearances, the lights can be enjoyed from ground level too - from the scenic surrounds of the Mountain Station as well as from its cosy lounge areas which offer giant picture windows overlooking the lake - even the restaurant and bar have panoramic views.
You’ll also have two nights at Camp Ripan, just a 20 minute transfer from the Icehotel. The location of this hotel could not be better being on nature’s doorstep and close to ski, snowmobile and husky sledge trails but also within a 10 minute walk to the shops and restaurants of Kiruna. You can choose how to fill your day with options for skiing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, husky sledding, horse riding, reindeer sledging or perhaps join in on a moose safari. A special New Year's Eve dinner is included.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: UK - Kiruna
- Fly from Heathrow direct to Kiruna and transfer to Camp Ripan for a 2 night stay and a chance to experience one of the evening activities.
- Day 2: at leisure
- Enjoy one of the many optional activities available or relax in the new Aurora Spa (additional cost).
- Day 3: Camp Ripan - Icehotel
- Transfer to the Icehotel with time to take part in the optional excursions offered at the Icehotel. Overnight in one of the famous Ice Rooms or a warm room if you prefer. Enjoy the New Year dinner and celebrations.
- Day 4: Icehotel - Abisko Mountain Station
- Morning at leisure. Afternoon transfer to the Abisko Mountain Station. After a 3-course dinner buffet take a short walk to the base of the mountain, where you’ll be kitted out in warm clothing before a 20-minute ride on a chairlift to the Aurora Sky Station. Here you can learn more about the northern lights and spend time enjoying this amazing natural phenomenon, before returning to your accommodation.
- Day 5: return to UK
- Some time in the morning at leisure to soak up your incredibly scenic surrounds. Transfer to Kiruna Airport for the flight home to London Heathrow. *Due to the nature of the Abisko Sky Station experience it is not recommended for children under the age 12 years.
- It is also possible to do the itinerary in reverse, with the first night in Abisko, then Icehotel and 2 nights at Camp Ripan.
- The weather in Sweden can cause serious delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Sweden will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Abisko Mountain Station
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Exclusive to Discover the World in the UK, Abisko Mounta…
Camp Ripan, Kiruna
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Located on the outskirts of Kiruna, with easy access to …
Camp Ripan: Learn the art of northern light photography
An insight into the Sami culture and the myths and legends …
Camp Ripan: Travel by minibus towards Norway in search for …
Camp Ripan: A traditional means of travel in the northern r…
In collaboration with the Swedish University of Agricultura…
Camp Ripan: Learn how to be a musher for a day and beautifu…
Camp Ripan: Famous for his Lights over Lapland, photographe…
Camp Ripan: A traditional means of travelling over the Arct…
Camp Ripan: This tour heads by snowmobile in pursuit of the…
The sure-footed Icelandic horse will be your mount for the …
Camp Ripan: After transferring to the nearby horse stables,…
The only indigenous people of Scandinavia, the Sami have ma…
Few things are as memorable as dinner under the stars.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Dec to Mar|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request. Prices for the itinerary in reverse on request.
Prices include return direct flights between London Heathrow and Kiruna (with complimentary in-flight meal, beer, wine and soft drinks); 2 nights at Camp Ripan on breakfast basis; 1 night in a Cold Room at the Icehotel including a thermal one-piece suit, hat, boots and mittens to use while at the Icehotel, and 1 night at Abisko Mountain Station including a 3-course evening meal at Abisko and chairlift excursion to the Sky Station; New Year's Eve dinner at the Icehotel; all transfers and services of a guide whilst at Icehotel and airport taxes.
Direct Flight - London Heathrow-Kiruna
Flight time 3.5 hours
Departs 29 December 2017
- Premium Class Flight Upgrade
- Accommodation Upgrades
- Optional Dinner Upgrade at Abisko
Why not upgrade to a four course dinner served in the cosy restaurant at the Aurora Sky Station. You will travel up by chairlift earlier than other guests and enjoy the peaceful Abisko National Park in darkness. As your eyes become more accustomed to the light conditions, you will see more and more as you gaze up at the night sky, the bright stars twinkling above you. Feast on a meal inspired by local Nordic cuisine and after dinner, there will be the chance to learn more about the fascinating Northern Lights and of course the opportunity to head outside to do some aurora watching of you own. (Spaces are limited so book early to avoid disappointment!)
Adult: £89 supplement
Please note if the Aurora Sky Station is not accessible due to adverse weather conditions, you will have your upgraded meal at the Aurora Lounge at Abisko Mountain Station. Due to the nature of the Abisko Sky Station experience it is not recommended for children under the age 12 years.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.