Surrounded by beautiful winter wilderness, on the shores of Lake Inari near the Russian border, Nellim Wilderness Hotel offers a quiet and remote adventure break with comfortable accommodation and magnificent views of Finnish Lapland. This fully inclusive experience has everything you need to capture a true winter wonderland - with a range of day activities, traditional cuisine and a chance to witness the northern lights, this winter retreat has proved an instant hit!
- Beautiful wilderness location
- Cosy accommodation and friendly, personal service
- Includes winter activities for all the family
- Opportunity to search for the northern lights
- Choice of inclusive tour durations
- Direct flight to Finnish Lapland
- Christmas and New Year flights available
Over 350km north of the Arctic circle, in the heart of taiga forest, the location of Nellim sets it apart with its spectacular views overlooking Lake Inari. This is pure wilderness territory, just a few kilometers from the Russian border and under an hour away from Ivalo airport.
There is a choice of different breaks which include full board, a range of activities depending on the duration chosen, use of outdoor equipment such as kick sleds, toboggans and skis and the traditional Finnish sauna which is available to warm up after the day's events. The remote location also provides a great opportunity to hopefully see the northern lights. More about the aurora »
There are various accommodation options to choose from, suitable for couples to families and include hotel rooms, apartments with 1 to 3 bedrooms, some with private sauna, 1 bedroom cabins and rustic style yet modern Log Cabins and Log Suites. Please refer to Nellim Wilderness Hotel in the accommodation section for more details.
Aurora Bubble and Kota
During your time at Nellim you can spend a night in an Aurora Bubble under the dark starry sky and if you’re lucky the aurora borealis may appear. The bubble has a double bed with large window facing the north sky and eco toilet. The bubble is booked in addition to the chosen accommodation so only an overnight bag is needed and you still have your wash facilities available. The Aurora Kota is slightly larger and can accommodate an extra bed.
Supplement: from £145 per person per night based on 2 sharing.
Christmas and New Year
The festive period is a great time to celebrate with your family and friends and enjoy the wonderful picture postcard settings with guaranteed snow, sitting by log fires and taking part in local traditions.
At this time flight availability is quite often very limited, however, we are delighted to have some flight seats available over Christmas and New Year on certain dates for our packages. Please see our separate festive holidays online or ask our Sales team for details.
February half-term 2019
The February half-term week is also a very popular time to travel with families wanting to experience a great winter adventure, but hurry, these packages do tend to fill up quickly. Please ask our Sales team for details.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- All Inclusive Itineraries
- All of our all-inclusive packages include return transfers from/to Ivalo airport; full board starting with dinner on the first day to breakfast on the departure day; accommodation in your chosen room type, winter activities as detailed below and winter clothing for the duration of your stay.
- Winter Activities Included
The following activities are included in the different packages.
Northern Lights Adventure - 3 night itinerary
Aurora Camp; Snowmobile Safari; Husky Safari; Aurora Snowshoeing.
Arctic Explorer - 4 night itinerary
Reindeer day by Snowmobile; Aurora Camp; Husky Safari; Snowshoeing; Aurora Snowmobiling.
Arctic Adventure - 7 night itinerary
Reindeer day by Snowmobile; Aurora Snowshoeing; Snowmobile Safari; Snowshoeing; Cross Country Skiing in Taiga Forest; Aurora Camp; Husky Safari.
Note the order of these activities will be confirmed locally and each activity will be included once during your stay.
- Activity Information
Aurora Snowshoeing (approx. 2.5 hours) - Enjoy the beautiful scenery while learning the art of snowshoeing. You will be given advice before taking to the trails. A picnic lunch is included.
Reindeer day by Snowmobile (approx. 5 hours) - Visit a reindeer farm where you will meet the herders and hear about the importance of reindeer in Lapland and learn how to use the lasso.
Snowmobile Safari (approx. 4 hours) - You will receive driving and safety instructions before a short lesson and then once ready, take a 60km snowmobile safari through the forests and over frozen lakes in the beautiful winter surroundings. A picnic lunch around an open fire is included.
Aurora Snowmobiling (approx. 2.5 hours) - After driving instructions this snowmobile tour heads to the clear spots where there are higher chances of seeing the northern lights. The distance travelled will vary depending on weather conditions, and if the sky looks promising you will stop to wait for the light show.
Snowshoeing (approx. 3-4 hours) - Enjoy the beautiful scenery while learning the art of snowshoeing. You will be given advice before taking to the trails up through the snowy forest and to the hills for some stunning views over Lake Inari and Nellim. A picnic lunch is included.
Skiing Trip to the Taiga Forest (approx. 2-3 hours) - A guide will give tuition on the art of cross country skiing before venturing out on a ski tour. There will be a chance to try your hand at ice fishing and if you’re lucky enough to catch something, prepare your own meal on an open fire.
Aurora Camp (approx. 2-3 hours) - The camp is situated on an island amidst the endless frozen ice of Lake Inari. Its remote location far from light pollution makes it the perfect place to see any northern light displays.
Husky Safari (approx. 3 hours) - You are given full instructions on how to handle the dog sled before heading onto the trail for a 18km husky safari on Lake Inari. The huskies pull the sled through the beautiful winter scenery, passing over Lake Inari. Afterwards lunch is served.
- The above activities are included once during your stay and the order in which they operate may vary from the itinerary due to local conditions. All activities begin with a safety briefing and instruction from the experienced guides. Thermal overall, mittens, balaclava, woollen socks and winter boots are provided as well as a helmet for the snowmobile safaris. Children 4-14 years will be in a sleigh pulled by guide with snowmobile or on the guide’s sledge whilst husky sledging.
- Snowmobiles are covered for third party insurance only and should you have an accident and there is damage to the snowmobile, you will be charged an excess which is currently €800 (Euro). All drivers must have a valid driving licence and may be required show it before the excursion.
- The weather in Finland can cause serious delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Finland will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Accommodation OptionsThere are various accommodation options to choose from at Nellim Wilderness Hotel, suitable for couples to families and include hotel rooms, apartments with 1 to 3 bedrooms, some with private sauna and rustic yet modern Log Cabins and Log Suites.
Prices & Dates
Low Season prices valid 06 - 20 January and 20 - 31 March 2019
Per adult price from
|Wilderness room (twin/double share)||£1,223||£1,487||£1,870|
|Apartment, 1 bedroom cabin (twin/double share)||£1,274||£1,614||£2,096|
|Log Suites (twin/double share)||£1,359||£1,657||£2,168|
|Log Cabin (twin/double share)||£1,444||£1,742||£2,257|
Mid Season prices valid 17 November - 14 December; 21 January - 08 February and 24 Feb - 19 March 2019
Per adult price from
|Wilderness room (twin/double share)||£1,316||£1,609||£2,035|
|Apartment, 1 bedroom cabin (twin/double share)||£1,373||£1,751||£2,287|
|Log Suites (twin/double share)||£1,468||£1,799||£2,366|
|Log Cabin (twin/double share)||£1,562||£1,893||£2,465|
High Season prices valid 15 December 2018 to - 05 January 2019 and 09 - 23 February 2019
Per adult price from
|Wilderness room (twin/double share)||£1,411||£1,704||£2,130|
|Apartment, 1 bedroom cabin (twin/double share)||£1,468||£1,846||£2,381|
|Log Suites (twin/double share)||£1,562||£1,893||£2,461|
|Log Cabin (twin/double share)||£1,657||£1,988||£2,560|
Price includes: return flights, either direct from London Gatwick to Ivalo (Thursday and Sunday only) or from London Heathrow via Helsinki to Ivalo; airport charges; accommodation in rooms with private facilities (as above based on full board); activities as detailed in the itinerary; winter clothing and return transfers.
Price excludes: meals/snacks other than stated; drinks; personal expenses.
Other periods including Christmas, New Year and February half term are available at a supplement. Prices for single rooms and child prices are available on request. Please speak to one of our Sales team for a quote on your specific requirements.
Please refer to our Christmas and New Year packages online for further details if travelling during the festive season.
- On Christmas Eve you can help with the search for a perfect Christmas tree, while children make decorations and assist with making ginger cookies. Santa will also make an appearance and every child receives a present.
- On New Year’s Eve enjoy a special meal before venturing outside to toast the New Year with sparkling wine, bonfire and fireworks.
The prices above are based on direct flights from London Gatwick to Ivalo with Finnair (Sundays and Thursdays only). These flight operate between 13th December 2018 and 28 March 2019. Flights are also available on alternative days via Helsinki with Norwegian Air from London Gatwick and with Finnair from/to London Heathrow. It is possible to overnight in Helsinki and spend time to explore the Finnish Capital city before continuing the journey.
Direct flight departs Gatwick at 08.25, arriving Ivalo 13.55 - Sunday
Direct flight departs Ivalo at 06.00, arriving Gatwick 07.40 - Sunday
Direct flight departs Gatwick at 09.30, arriving Ivalo 15.00 - Thursday
Direct flight departs Ivalo at 07.00, arriving Gatwick 08.40 - Thursday
- Flights from Helsinki to Ivalo are very limited and popular, especially during the festive period and February half-term. We highly recommend that you book early to avoid disappointment. Over the festive period we have a limited number of seats available on set dates and durations. Please refer to the separate Christmas and New Year packages online or ask our sales team to check availability for you.
- Scheduled flights are based on the lowest available fare and should this be unavailable a supplement will apply, to be advised at time of confirming your booking.
All prices are subject to availability.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.
Meet the team
Christmas at Nellim Wilderness Hotel
New Year Break at Nellim Wilderness Hotel
Winter Adventure at Muotka Lodge