This itinerary offers a unique opportunity to experience a taste of the life of an elephant conservationist, as you track Namibia’s desert adapted elephants with the Elephant Human Relations Aid (EHRA) team.
- Join the experienced EHRA team tracking desert adapted elephants
- Guided tour with local farmers to gain an insight into farming in the area
- Discover one of the most scenic regions of Namibia
- Visit a local village school
Ozondjou is the Herero word for elephants and this iconic animal is the focus of the new Ozondjou Trails Camp, located near the base camp of the Elephant Human Relations Aid team. Your stay here will not only benefit EHRA financially, but a portion of the turnover goes to local farmers who are essential partners in the conservation of these desert giants.
You will spend time with the local farmers learning about the challenges they face and join the EHRA team for their daily patrol, searching for desert adapted elephants and studying their behaviour. Along the way, you may also encounter plains game such as zebra, kudu, ostrich and giraffe. In the evening, delicious meals are prepared outdoors over the open fire or gas braai (barbecue).
The camp is situated in southern Damaraland, near the imposing Brandberg Mountain and boasts breathtaking landscapes: surrounded by rust red cliffs and overlooking the Ugab riverbed.
Contact our Namibia experts now
Seeing desert elephants was one of my favourite experiences in Namibia. They can be pretty elusive so the search for them was very exciting. I was thrilled that we found a herd including several cute baby elephants! We were able to get pretty close to them and they were completely unbothered by our presence.Linda Harris, Southern Africa Product Manager
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: guided tour with a local farmer, visit village school
- Arrive at Ozondjou Trails Camp early afternoon. There is time to acclimatise before embarking on a guided tour with a local farmer, who will give you an insight into farming in the area and the challenges they face farming with free-roaming wildlife nearby. You will then visit a village school (weekdays only) before a short walk to enjoy a relaxing sundowner with views of dramatic scenery. Finally, you head back to the camp for dinner and drinks around the fire.
- Day 2: join the EHRA team tracking desert adapted elephants
- After breakfast, join the experienced EHRA team on their daily patrol, searching for desert adapted elephants and studying their behaviour. The drive will follow elephant tracks, usually in the dry river bed. Namibia is one of only two countries in the world where you can find desert adapted elephants (the other is Mali). They are not categorised as a separate species but they are special because they have evolved to thrive in the dry, semi-desert environment by having a smaller body mass with proportionally longer legs and seemingly larger feet than other elephants. Their physical attributes allow them to cross miles of harsh desert environments to reach food and water. This is also a good opportunity to encounter normal plains game like zebra, kudu, oryx, springbok, ostrich and giraffe in one of Namibia’s most dramatic landscapes. After a picnic lunch, return to camp late afternoon and enjoy dinner cooked on the open fire or gas braai (barbecue), whilst regaling memorable experiences from the day.
- Day 3: depart Ozondjou
- Today the tour ends after breakfast. It is possible to stay an extra night and experience some of Damraland’s cultural and geological attractions including the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Twyfelfontein, the Burnt Mountain, Petrified Forest and Organ Pipes. Contact us for more information.
Ozondjou Trails Camp
Please refer to the 'Ozondjou Trails Camp' tab for accommodation and guide information.
Prices & Dates
Departures January-October, daily on request
Price from £430 per person, based on 2 sharing
2 nights accommodation in comfortable two-man tents with camp beds • All meals from dinner on day 1 to breakfast on day 3 • Soft drinks and selected alcohol drinks for the duration of your stay • Private driver/guide services throughout • Game drives, activities, entrance and park fees • All applicable taxes and levies
Flights • Travel insurance • Gratuities & items of a personal nature • Additional meals • Optional excursions • Alcoholic beverages and additional drinks not specified above
Additional nights can be booked at the camp, please contact us for more information.
Ozondjou Trails Camp
Ozondjou Trails Camp features 8 simple but comfortable tents, each with a wooden floor, ensuite bathroom (with shower, wash basin and flush toilet), electric lantern and an outside deck. The twin beds are provided with a proper matress and duvet, flanked by bedside tables. Although there are no elecric sockets in the guest tents, you are able to charge camera batteries etc in the communal dining tent.
The main area of the camp consists of a mess tent with a lounge area and dining table. This leads out to a seating area and firepit, spectacularly perched on the edge of a bluff overlooking the Ugab River. This is the ideal spot for a pre-dinner drink as the sun sets, setting the surrounding rocky mountains aglow.
You will be hosted and accompanied by a local guide with an intimate knowledge of the fauna, flora and cultures of the region. You will also be joined by an experienced EHRA elephant tracker. All the guides have been raised in Namibia and are passionate about the country.
- No children under 16 are permitted to stay here due to free roaming elephants in the area
- This camp is only accessible by 4x4. However, secure parking and transfers into the camp can be arranged on request
- No cash facilities are available at the camp.
- There is no mobile reception or Wi-Fi at the camp.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.