Explore the wild and remote Skeleton Coast on this unforgettable small group safari, enjoying stunning aerial views as you fly between isolated desert camps. Instrumental in the establishment of the Skeleton Coast National Park, the Schoeman family will be your hosts and pilots. By far the most experienced guides on the Skeleton Coast, the brothers' knowledge is deeply ingrained and they have been living and working here since they were young boys. The knowledge and skill with how they operate in this desert is why you choose to travel with them. A Schoeman flying safari truly is a once in a lifetime experience.
- Explore one of Namibia’s most inaccessible regions
- Take in spectacular birds-eye views over vast desert and endless coastline
- Search for desert adapted wildlife, unusual geological formations and ancient shipwrecks
- Travel in a small group with an experienced guide
The iconic Skeleton Coast is known for its mist-enshrouded beaches strewn with bleached whalebones and rusted shipwrecks. Stretching up to Namibia’s northern border with Angola, the Skeleton Coast National Park and its hinterland is a landscape of haunting beauty, a vast area of rolling sand dunes, expanses of uninhabited desert plains, fossil beds, unique geological formations, desert adapted animals and strange vegetation.
During the course of this short but memorable safari, you will fly into the heart of this unique wilderness. Experience fascinating aerial views of shipwrecks scattered along the coast, diverse and ever-changing geological formations and the refuges of desert-dwelling animals such as the endangered black rhino and desert adapted elephant.
Flights by Cessna 210 are not just about transferring you from one destination to the next, but are part of the safari with 'see' level flights offering the chance to spot wildlife and more from the air. Once on the ground your exploration will continue by Land Rover and on foot, always accompanied by your experienced guide to ensure you don’t miss a thing. Your guide will introduce you to unique landscapes and explain the scenic and ecological aspects of the environment and the wide diversity of flora and fauna that can be found here.
At the end of each day’s adventures you will have time to reflect and relax in the peace and solitude of your tented camp. Offering comfortable accommodation in the midst of the desert wilderness, here you can sit back and take in the epic scale of the surrounding landscapes and sparkling night skies above.
Contact our Namibia experts now
I’ll never forget flying in a light aircraft over the Namib Desert. The dunes resembled a mountain range of soft-whip butterscotch ice cream as we flew west. Then came the salt pans, blinding white and so flat I could see a crisp shadow of the Cessna 50ft below. Then a row of small dunes, a beach, waves breaking, water churned to foam, and seals in their hundreds; leaping and twisting, somersaulting from the curling green walls of ocean breakers.Will Gray, Travel writer
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Windhoek - Kuidas Camp, Huab River Valley
- Depart this morning for the Skeleton Coast, flying over the spectacular Kuiseb Canyon and surrounding vivid red sand dunes as well as the famous Eduard Bohlen Shipwreck at Conception Bay. After a quick refuelling stop at Swakopmund, continue with a low-level flight north along the Skeleton Coast, past the seal colony at Cape Cross before landing for a picnic lunch near the beach. This afternoon you will cross the desert to the ugab formations, a nearly lifeless lunar landscape comprising numerous black ridges in stark contrast to the white desert floor. Continue to your overnight accommodation at the Kuidas Camp in the Huab River Valley.
- Day 2: Huab River Valley - Purros Camp, Hoarusib Valley
- After breakfast depart by Land Rover to explore the colourful red lava and yellow sandstone of the Huab River environs, and learn about the area’s wide diversity of flora and fauna. This includes the bizarre looking Welwitschia Mirabilis, a fascinating tree that has been dwarfed by the rigours of the encroaching desert climate. After lunch at Kuidas Camp you will take to the air once more for a flight to Terrace Bay, located within the Skeleton Coast National Park. The most prominent shipwrecks along this part of the coast are the Montrose and Henrietta. From Terrace Bay you will access the soaring dunes by Land Rover, always a thrilling experience. Visit the beach with its profusion of multi-coloured pebbles consisting of agate, lava, granite and quartz – you may also spot bleached whale bones scattered along the beach above the high tide mark. Later, continue your flight north to Purros Camp in the Hoarusib Valley, Kunene Region, for an overnight stay.
- Day 3: Hoarusib Valley - Kunene River Camp, Hartmann Valley
- This morning embark on a scenic drive along the Hoarusib Valley to visit a settlement of the nomadic Himba people. You may also encounter the desert dwelling elephants who frequent this valley. Continue your journey north along the Skeleton Coast by air to the Kunene River, which marks the border between Namibia and Angola. The Kaiu Maru Shipwreck and various pieces of old sailing vessels can be seen scattered along this part of the coast. On arrival transfer to the Land Rover, exploring the mountains and dunes of the Hartmann Valley before finally reaching the Kunene River Camp.
- Day 4: Hartmann Valley - Windhoek
- Take an early morning boat trip on the Kunene River, observing birdlife and possibly some crocodiles. Birds vary from aquatic species to endemic desert varieties and those that inhabit dense riverine vegetation. After lunch at the camp your safari comes to an end with one final flight back to Windhoek, arriving late afternoon.
The itinerary is subject to weather conditions. Fog can be common around the Skeleton Coast and planned activities and routes may need to be adapted accordingly.
Baggage and Weight Restrictions
The safari utilises Cessna 210s for travelling the long distances between camps, therefore luggage space is very limited. You are requested to travel as lightly and compactly as possible. A maximum of 10kg (22lbs) of luggage is allowed per person, packed in soft, flexible travelling bags. This excludes camera equipment of approximately 2kg (4.4lb). No hard and bulky suitcases will be accommodated, nor will bags with wheels or any solid sides. Ideal dimensions for a soft bag are 60 x 40 x 40cm (24 x 16 x 16 in). Excess luggage can be left in Windhoek, please contact us for more details.
This holiday stays in tented camps. For more information on the accommodation on this trip, please see the 'Other Information' tab
Prices & Dates
Departures Daily on request
Price from £5,986 per person
3 nights’ tented safari camp accommodation • All meals from lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 4 • Soft drinks, juices and alcoholic beverages • Services of an experienced guide throughout • Internal flights by Cessna 210 as per the itinerary • Entrance and park fees • All applicable taxes and levies
International flights • Travel insurance • Gratuities • Items of a personal nature
Maximum group size 8
Accommodation during this itinerary will be in exclusive, privately owned, fully equipped tented camps. The camps are comfortable and well equipped, each nestled into the surrounding environment and situated in a spot carefully chosen for its unique beauty.
Each camp consists of six comfortable tents, all twin bedded, with en-suite bucket showers and flush toilets. Bedding, lamps, torches, mirrors, towels and soap are all provided. An electric supply is available so it is possible to recharge camera batteries etc.
- Kuidas Camp - situated in the lower reaches of the Huab River in the Erongo Region (Damaraland)
- Purros Camp - set under camel thorn trees and Makalani palms in the Hoarusib Valley in the Kunene Region (Kaokoland)
- Kunene River Camp - located on the north-western Namibian border overlooking the Kunene River
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.