Abel Tasman National Park located at the top of the South Island, protects one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline, lapped by a turquoise sea. A Great Walk of New Zealand, this world famous coastal hiking track reveals hidden estuaries, idyllic golden sand beaches, castaway islands and forested headlands, which provide a superb location for this three or five day walking trip.
- Experience one of New Zealand's nine Great Walks
- Explore the coastline by canoe, boat and on foot
- Walk through lush native forest
- Enjoy superb coastal views along the way
By tackling this walk as part of a guided group you have the benefit of luggage porterage services, meals and comfortable accommodation with hot showers at the end of the day.
The route is accessible all year round, with winter days often calm, crisp and sunny. The lodges have open fires to take off the winter chill and with a variety of other activities on offer, this is a popular outdoor destination at any time of year.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Nelson - Awaroa
- (10km/6 miles – 4 hours walk) Early morning departure from Nelson and travel by coach to Motueka for the trip briefing. You will be given your day rucksack and packed lunch. Continuing to Kaiteriteri, board the boat and cruise along the coast to Totaranui, for the start of the day’s walk. Walk north to Anapai Bay before heading for the Homestead Lodge at Awaroa.
- Day 2: exploring around Awaroa
- Make the day as energetic or relaxing as you like. Choose to explore the scenic surrounds of the Awaroa Estuary by canoe or on foot. Alternatively you may also feel like just relaxing on the beach or enjoying the lovely views from the lodge.
- Day 3: Awaroa - Torrent Bay
- (15km/9.6 miles – 5 hours walk) Leaving Awaroa, walk inland over the Tonga Bay Saddle to Onetahuti. If the tide is right, it is possible to walk to the granite arches before continuing to Bark Bay, for a lunch break. It’s a great place for a swim or you can soak up the sun on the glorious sandy beach. Walk on through luxuriant native forest to Falls River, from where the trail climbs to give superb coastal views of the headlands, estuaries and beaches. Descend to Torrent Bay to stay in Torrent Bay Lodge.
- Day 4: exploring from Torrent Bay
- A choice of guided activity today – walk inland through wonderful forests to the waterfalls of the Falls River (10km/6 miles round trip – 5 hours walk) or after a little training, paddle sheltered Torrent Bay and its estuary by canoe. There are plenty of shorter walks as well, or you can opt to relax at the lodge.
- Day 5: Torrent Bay - Nelson
- (13km/8 miles – 4 hours) Today’s well graded walk weaves around the coast and its many sheltered coves, which were explored by Frenchman Dumont D’Urville in 1827. Many of the area’s place names date from this expedition. Arriving in Marahau, the coach will be waiting to take the group back to Motueka and Nelson (arriving at 17.30).
There is also the possibility of a 2 night trip as follows:
Day 1 as per day 1 of 5 day trip
Day 2 as per day 3 of 5 day trip
Day 3 as per day 5 of 5 day trip
Please note that the direction of the Guided Walk may be reversed on some departures.
A variety of accommodation options are included in this holiday. Please contact us for further details.
Prices & Dates
Prices from £ per person (3 day walk)
Prices from £ per person (5 day walk)
3 day trip Mon, Fri, Sat & Sun (southbound) all year round; Wed (northbound)
5 day trip Tue (during the months of April to October, all year round); and Tue & Fri (during the months of November to March)
Track Grade: Moderate
Ground and boat transportation from Nelson to start of trek and from end of trek back to Nelson ● Guided trek inclusive of standard accommodation ● All meals from lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 5 (3 day trek – lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 3) ● Guide services ● Launch cruise ● Luggage transfer
International or domestic flights and airport taxes ● Travel insurance ● Tips and gratuities ● Personal expenses
We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor-make holidays for our clients. Please let us know if you have any specific requests.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.