One of highlights of the Pacific Coast Highway, Hawke's Bay is the second largest wine-producing region in the country specialising in world-class Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Merlot as well as home to New Zealand's most unusual city, art deco-styled Napier. Offering many natural highlights discover the gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers and explore Te Mata Peak steeped in Maori heritage.
This 6 day/5 night itinerary is based in Napier but also allows sufficient time to explore everything this region has to offer ñ from a superb range of places to stay, amazing food and wine, architecture, beaches and wildlife.
- Take a guided walking tour of the art deco Napier
- Visit the gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers on an overland safari
- Join a private half day tour focusing on culture, history, fine food and wine and an encounter with Maori elders
- Spend time at leisure exploring the wineries the region is renowned for
COMBINE WITH OTHER REGIONAL MODULES
Choose the regions you'd like to visit and let us create a bespoke holiday based on the most suitable methods of transport including domestic flights, car rental, rail travel or coach transfers.
Contact our New Zealand experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive in Napier
- Under your own arrangements and spend the remainder of today at your leisure.
- Day 2: Napier
- This afternoon at 2.00pm join Art Deco Walks for a 2 hour guided walking tour of Napier's wonderful Art Deco heritage. The 2 hour tour starts with a 30 minute audio visual presentation, followed by a 1.5 hour guided walk (stroll), including some building interiors. Finish with an optional viewing of a 20-minute movie on the history of the city.
- Day 3: Napier - Waimarama - Napier
- Your 2 hour Walk with the Ancestors tour today starts on the shores of Waimarama beach where the great migration canoe Takitimu was dragged ashore to make repairs over 800 years ago. As you walk the pathways and experience the remaining pockets of native plants, native forests and wetland areas, you will gain insight as to how these ancient people lived. Visit the Marae reservation where the cultural heartbeat of the people still beats strongly today. Let one of the elders share with you these sacred sites: the bush lore, the folk lore, the culture and the language: all of which continue to shape the hopes and aspirations of the people today.
- Day 4: Napier
- Join a half-day private guided Best of the Bay tour with Long Island Guides. Enjoy the best Hawke's Bay has to offer: delicious foods, fruit and wine, Maori elders and artists, all set in beautiful rural countryside. The remainder of today is at your leisure.
- Day 5: Napier
- Today drive along the scenic coast from Napier/ Hastings to Te Awanga and join Gannet Safaris Overland to visit the world's largest, most accessible gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers. Travel in comfort in air conditioned 4 x 4 wheeled vehicles, through Cape Kidnappers Station - traversing riverbeds, broad rolling pastures, through stands of native bush, steep gullies and breathtaking inclines. The 36km, trip includes a commentary by your tour guide / driver on the farming operation on Cape Kidnappers Station and an introduction to the gannets (return transfers and refreshments included).
- Day 6: depart Napier
- Under your own arrangements.
ExcursionsA number of excursions are included in this itinerary, some of which are listed in more detail below. Your Travel Specialist will be able to advise on additional or upgraded excursion options to suit your interests.
Levelled by an earthquake and the resulting fire in 1931, a…
Prices & Dates
Prices from £ per person
|Luxury Lodge||McHardy Lodge (B&B)||£1,049|
|Boutique B&B||The Crown Hotel (room only)||£715|
|Hotel||The Masonic Hotel (room only)||£694|
Twin share accommodation, all with private facilities ● Meals as specified ● Excursions: guided 2 hour walking tour of Napier with Art Deco Walks and Tours; a 2 hour Walk with the Ancestors guided tour at Waimarama; half-day private Best of the Bay tour with Long Island Guides; half-day guided tour of the gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers.
International flights and airport taxes ● Transportation elements (rental car, domestic flights, train, coach or ferry etc)
Please contact our expert team for a full quotation. Note accommodation is subject to availability at the time of booking. If necessary our ground agents reserve the right to book alternative accommodation.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.