A glimpse is all it takes to appreciate the splendour and magnificence of the Norwegian Fjords, but on this short break you have the opportunity to experience first hand the breath taking scenery as you navigate through the stunning fjords and mountain ranges which surround you. Starting in the town of Bergen the journey takes you by train, bus and boat to the heart of Sognefjord and the village of Flam, then continue on the Flamsbana railway, with a spectacular journey winding up the mountain side before finally heading back by train to Bergen.
- Explore the charm of Bergen, with it's old streets and small wooden houses
- Take the Floibanen Funicular for the best views of Bergen
- Ride The Bergen Railway
- Join a fjord cruise along the Naeroyfjord and see the Sagfossen waterfall
- Experience the magnificent views of the UNESCO World Heritage listed Nærøydalen valley and the drive down the steep and winding road Stalheimskleiva
- Explore Flam and take a picturesque journey on the Flam Railway
This short action packed trip begins in Bergen, an international town with a unique charm and atmosphere which is best explored on foot. There is just enough time to take a stroll around the old streets and alleyways with small wooden houses, cobbled paths and an abundance of flowers adding colour to this vibrant city. Take in the listed wooden buildings at Bryggen which is on the UNESCO's World Heritage list, call in at one of Bergen's many museums, stop off at the Fish Market to enjoy its delicacies or make your way to the best view in Bergen – The Floibanen Funicular. From the viewing area you can admire the magnificent views of the city, the surrounding mountains and fjords whilst enjoying the peace and quiet, high above the city. Or simply relax in one of the welcoming bars and cafes and take in the atmosphere.
To finish off your busy day, Bergen's nightlife has enough variety to ensure an enjoyable evening out. There are many excellent coffee bars, fish restaurants and delicious international cuisine, small cafes, bars and nightclubs.
After an eventful first day, take an early train on The Bergen Railway through the countryside to Voss, where you join a bus taking you to Gudvangen situated at the head of the Naeroyfjord and enjoying on the way features such as The Naeroydalen valley, Stalheimskleiva – a long stretch of road twisting its way up the mountainside and through 13 sharp hairpin bends and Tvinnefossen waterfall. From here, you join a fjord cruise along Naeroyfjord, the narrowest and best known of the many arms of the Sognefjord with steep mountainsides, hanging valleys and towering peaks. This is definitely one of the highlights of the trip and is included on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Along the way you will also see Sagfossen waterfall as you head towards The Aurlandsfjord, the picturesque village of Undredal and as you travel nearer to Flam, the village of Aurland.
Arriving in Flam early afternoon you have time to explore this small village, perhaps visit the Flam Railway museum, with free entrance to guests taking this trip. There are also several hiking trails from the village for those wanting to stretch their legs and explore further afield or join a fjord safari by RIB boat for a thrilling trip along the Aurlandsfjord.
The following day, depending on the train departure you may have some leisure time in Flam before taking to the train once again. This time joining The Flam Railway for a picturesque train journey passing through tunnels, over bridges and offering fantastic views of the valley beneath as you head up to the mountain plateau to Myrdal at an altitude of 866 metres, making it the steepest normal gauge railway line in Northern Europe.
The final leg of the trip is by train from Myrdal on a two and a half hour journey back to Bergen in time to have some lunch and make your way back to the airport for the flight home.
To enjoy this trip at a more leisurely pace you have the opportunity to extend your stay in Bergen or Flam, or perhaps speak to one of our Sales team for other options possible.
Contact our Norway experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: fly to Bergen
- Fly to Bergen and on arrival take the regular Flybussen airport coach service (35 minute journey) to the city centre (not included). Make your way to your hotel for an overnight stay on breakfast basis. Afternoon at leisure to explore the attractions.
- Day 2: Bergen - Flam
- Morning departure by train to Voss which connects with a bus to Gudvangen. Then take the scenic Fjord cruise along the Naeroyfjord and Aurlandsfjord to Flam arriving early afternoon. Time for a hike in the area, a Fjord safari or relax and enjoy the scenery. Overnight stay on half board basis.
- Day 3: depart Bergen
- Travel on the famous Flamsbana Railway from Flam to Myrdal and connect with an onward train to Bergen. There may be time in Bergen for lunch (not included) before making your way by the Flybussen service (payable locally) to the airport to catch your return flight.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Apr - Sep 2018|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request
Price includes return flights between the UK and Bergen with Norwegian; airport taxes and charges; 1 night at Clarion Admiral in Bergen on breakfast basis; 1 night at Hotel Flamsbrygga in Flam on half board basis; travel between Bergen and Flam and back to Bergen.
Price excludes airport transfers in Bergen; excursions; meals other than stated.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.