This is a fantastic fully inclusive hiking adventure visiting some of Fjord Norway's most beautiful and scenic areas by foot, boat, bus and train, giving you an intimate taste of what this striking area has to offer while hiking, biking and kayaking in the mountains and along the Sognefjord and Naeroyfjord. Sample local cuisine, learn about local culture, take a scenic rail journey and more. You will get an active and authentic experience of Norway’s Western fjords.
- Hike through unbeatable fjord scenery
- Take a scenic fjord cruise
- Ride the Flamsbana 'Corkscrew' railway
- Stay in excellent hotels throughout
- Explore by kayak and cycle
Norway is a land of vast open spaces and some of the most stunning scenery you’ll ever encounter. So what better way to get close and admire the breath taking views that greet you round every corner than walking on the many hiking trails that weave there way up mountains, in valleys and near the magical fjords of Sognefjord and Naeroyfjord.
This small group tour (maximum of 14 participants) departs on four dates during summer 2018, and as well as several planned hikes and a boat cruise along the Sognefjord from Balestrand to Flam, the tour also includes other fjord attractions such as a RIB boat safari taking you to the UNESCO World Heritage listed Naeroyfjord, kayaking along the beautiful fjord, and a bike ride on the Vikafjellet mountain plateau. The trip also features a train ride on departure day on the Flamsbana railway, one of the most scenic journeys in the world.
The adventure begins from Voss in the very heart of the mountain area where you are met by the guide who accompanies you throughout the trip. The focus is very much on hiking on some of the wonderful well maintained and marked routes taking you to amazing spots by the fjords and including stays in three stunning locations.
This is a truly memorable active adventure and was a big hit with travellers on last years tours.
Please note this trip is not intended for expert hikers, but more suitable for walkers with a moderate level of fitness with routes taking between 4 and 6 hours.
Contact our Norway experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1 – Arrive at Myrkdalen
- Take a train from Bergen to Voss, where you will be met by the guide and transferred to Myrkdalen Hotel, a journey time of 30 minutes. You have time to get settled in before the evening meal and meet other guests on the adventure.
- Day 2 – Chair lift ride and Hiking
- Situated right next to Myrkdalen Hotel, the chair lift ‘Myrkdalsekspressen’ climbs to 860 metres above sea level. From the top you hike to mountain Finnbunuten, or if you choose an easier route to the summer farms ‘Morkvestolen’ or ‘Svortetjodn. Note, if the chair lift is not operational due to weather conditions there are several other hiking options in the area.
- Day 3 – Biking in stunning mountain terrain
- Today you take the bikes on easy gravel roads in stunning mountain scenery at Vikafjellet Mountain Plateau. All the areas offer beautiful landscape and well maintained tracks. The bike ride is on E-bikes, meaning you cover more ground and gives you a chance to sit back, relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
- Day 4 – Sea kayaking and hiking in Naeroyfjorden
- In the morning a short drive takes you to the little village Bakka, where, after instructions you cross the beautiful Naeroyfjorden in sea kayaks. Once on the other side of the fjord, you hike parts of the old Postal Road – a great way to enjoy the majestic UNESCO World Heritage designated fjord landscape with steep mountains, thundering waterfalls and picturesque villages. The hike ends back at the waiting kayaks, returning to Bakka across the fjord. From here you drive to Flåm in time to take the scenic 2 hour fjord cruise to Balestrand on Sognefjord, Norway’s longest and deepest fjord. At Balestrand check-in to Hotel Kviknes, and rest up before the evening meal.
- Day 5 – Hiking to Raudmelen
- Raudmelen is a mountain which towers 972m over the village of Balestrand. A hiking trail goes up the mountainside from the village to the top of Raudmelen. From the top there are fantastic views over the Sognefjord, both out towards the mountain plateau Stolsheimen and in towards Fjaerland and Leikanger. The first part of the hike goes along a marked nature trail, but soon turns off and upwards. After following the relatively steep path through the woods, you take a break at Orrabenken (370m) with wonderful views over Balestrand and the Sognefjord. Stop again at Burasi (575m), another fine resting place with lovely views. There will be many photo stop opportunities and the camera will never be put away! The path goes on up and along the ridge towards the top with marvellous views on both sides, over the green slopes to Balestrand and the rocky mountainside towards Esedalen. It is possible to take a shorter loop if the full hike is too demanding. The hiking today is approximately 6 hours. Overnight at Kviknes Hotel in Balestrand.
- Day 6 – Hiking to Prest Mountain and Flåm Fjord safari
- From Balestrand you take a scenic drive to Aurland and Kvammadal, then hike to Prest Mountain (1478 metres above sea level). Prest is a mountain located above the Aurland fjord. From the summit of Prest you will get one of the best views in the region. In the afternoon you head out for a thrilling 3 hour RIB Safari through the World Heritage Aurlandsfjord and further into the Naeroyfjord. A stop is made at Undredal, a little village located between tall mountains. The specialty of the village is the production of goats cheese, with a chance to taste it! You also hear about the tradition of cheese making and listen to folktales from the area. Along the way you stop at attractions and look out for seals, porpoises and eagles. Once back at Flam, you have time to relax before the evening meal at Fretheim hotel.
- Day 7 - Depart on Flam railway
- The tour ends this morning. There may be time for a short walk depending on the departure time of the train. Say goodbye to your fellow travellers and take the Flam Railway, one of the most beautiful train routes in the world for a 1 hour journey to Myrdal. Change trains here and head back to Bergen.
Hotel Kviknes, Balestrand
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
On the shores of the beautiful Sognefjord, Hotel Kviknes…
Fretheim Hotel, Flam
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
Set in a refurbished manor house from the 1800s, this 12…
Prices & Dates
|Prices in £ per person||
6 night tour
13, 20, 27 July & 03 Aug 2018
|Adults (twin share)||£2,033|
|Adult (single room)||£2,369|
Price includes: return flights between London Gatwick and Bergen with Norwegian, airport charges and taxes; train from Bergen to Voss; full board starting with dinner on day 1 to breakfast on last day (this includes some packed lunches); Guide throughout the tour from Voss to Flam; activities as mentioned in the itinerary; transportation during the tour including luggage transfer; Flamsbana Railway from Flam to Myrdal; train from Myrdal to Bergen.
Accommodation is based at Myrkdalen Hotel for 3 nights; Kviknes Hotel for 2 nights and Fretheim hotel for 1 night.
Price excludes transfers between Bergen Airport and city centre; any optional activities other than described; beverages and personal expenses.
Departures: The 6 night tour dates are 13 July, 20 July, 27 July and 03 August 2018. However, additional nights can be added in Bergen at the start or end of the trip. Highly recommended!
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.