Situated in Finnmark, Norway’s northernmost and least populated county which sits on the same latitude as Alaska - Gargia Lodge and Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel both enjoy remote locations and are ideal for aurora hunters in search of the elusive dancing lights. The cosy and welcoming lodge is the perfect place to relax and try your hand at snowmobiling or husky sledding before spending a night on ice at the ever cool Igloo hotel, making this a wonderful choice for a winter break to remember.
- Search for the northern lights
- Cosy wilderness lodge with home cooked cuisine
- Sleep on ice at the Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel
- Enjoy exciting husky adventures
Gargia Fjellstue is a rustic mountain lodge located in the south of the Alta valley just 30 minutes from Alta, Finnmark’s largest town. Your base for three nights, the lodge consists of six buildings skirting around a central yard. The main house is the heart of the lodge and is where the reception, restaurant serving delicious home cooked food and lounge area with cosy open fire place are situated.
There is a choice of accommodation with standard rooms, studios and cabins available and a good range of popular activities such as a half day and full day option for both snowmobiling and husky safaris, as well as a snowshoeing trek in a winter wonderland setting. After an outdoor activity warm up in the hot tub which is free for guests once during the stay or take a dip in the evening and lie back waiting for the northern lights to make an appearance. Lunch is not included as it comes with some of the longer activities if booked or can be purchased locally.
If you can pull yourself away from the lodge a transfer takes you the short distance to Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel, now in its 18th season. Every year the hotel has a new unique theme from the Arctic with intricate ice carvings and colourful features filling the snow and ice creation. While staying at the Igloo hotel you can experience nature all around, relax in a warm atmosphere in the lounge area and enjoy dinner in restaurant Laksestua serving an a la carte menu based on local food and traditions. The overnight stay includes an extreme sleeping bag, morning sauna and half board.
While here there are activities you can pre-book such as snowmobiling tours, hunting the northern lights, reindeer sledding and Sami culture and husky sledding.
This is a flexible program so additional nights can be added at either property and can also be combined with other arctic experiences in the area. Whatever you decide, our Sales team will be happy to give you more information and discuss the options in more detail.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive in Alta
- Fly to Alta via Oslo and meet the transfer taking you to Gargia Fjellstue (30 minutes journey) for a three night stay on half board basis.
- Days 2-3: at leisure
- Relax in the cosy lodge, enjoy the snowy surrounds and join optional activities including husky safaris, snowmobiling and snow shoeing. In the evening keep watch for clear skies and aurora viewing.
- Day 4: Gargia Lodge - Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel
- Leave Gargia Fjellstue and transfer to Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel (15 minutes). There are optional activities which can be pre-booked before you enjoy the evening meal and overnight stay on ice.
- Day 5: depart Alta
- After the Igloo experience warm up with a morning sauna and deserved breakfast. Transfer to the Airport (15 minutes) for your onward flights.
- The weather in Norway can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Norway will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Drive onto the remote Finnmark mountain plateau.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Dec to Apr (2017-18)|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request
Price includes - return flights from London Heathrow to Alta via Oslo with Scandinavian Airlines, airport taxes and charges; 3 nights at Gargia Fjellstue on half board basis; transfer to Sorrisniva Igloo hotel with overnight stay on half board basis and morning sauna; transfer to Alta airport.
Price excludes meals other than stated; optional winter activities.
Flights from London Heathrow to Alta operate via Oslo and schedules vary depending on travel day. Prices are based on certain booking classes and if these are not available a supplement will apply. Please contact our Travel Specialists to discuss your options.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.