On this wonderful fly drive holiday see the peaked mountains and tranquil fjords of northern Norway as they form a stunning backdrop to an already perfect setting of isles, inlets and quaint fishing villages. The Arctic light here is forever changing from burning red at dusk and dawn to the beautiful blue of polar night. And once skies are dark, the northern lights have a chance to take over.
- Some of the most dramatic and spectacular Arctic island scenery
- Drive between islands and see picture-postcard fishing villages
- Discover viking history, arts and crafts
- Optional activities such as kayaking and whale watching
Take time to explore the Lofoten and Vesteralen islands off the northwest coast of Norway. Like a dragon's tail the pointed mountains, Lofotenveggen, form a majestic backdrop to the stunning group of Lofoten islands. With excellent road and bridge connections between villages and hamlets, driving here is simple and straightforward.
Explore the west of Langoya island in the Vesteralens, where small hamlets and villages are dotted with the traditional rustic fisherman's cabins, or rorbuer. Visit Nyksund, in its heyday an important fishing village, but left to ruin when the population moved out. In recent years many of the historic buildings have been renovated - there are two cosy restaurants, a hotel, a guesthouse and a museum explaining the fascinating history of this little town.
The swift changes in weather in this area provide magnificent light conditions and this, coupled with dramatic, awe-inspiring scenery, continues to inspire artists and photographers alike. Many art galleries and photo exhibitions can be found here as well as local arts and crafts centers showcasing traditional trades. Visit a blacksmiths or watch a weaver, glass blower or ceramic artist at work.
In the evening, the magical northern lights may often flicker and perform across the dark night sky, so keep your fingers crossed - enjoy a fleeting glimpse or perhaps some amazing displays, which may last for hours.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive Evenes
- Fly to Evenes via Oslo, collect your rental vehicle and drive to the harbour town of Harstad for an overnight stay.
- Day 2: Evenes - Langoya
- Watch as the Hurtigruten ships meet in the harbour around at 08:00hrs - one heading south and the other one north. Much of Hurtigruten history is based in the Vesteralen Islands and no doubt you will see the ships working their way up and down the coastline. Head west to Langoya, an island connected to the mainland by the beautiful Sortland Bridge. Your stay here is based at the comfortable Hotel Sortland for 2-nights.
- Day 3: exploring Vesteralen
- Kayak in the sheltered fjords under the watchful eye of majestic sea eagles or take an optional whale watching trip from Andenes on the island of Andoya. Whale watching can be especially rewarding in the winter months with regular sightings of sperm, orca and humpback whales. As weather conditions are more changeable in the winter months, it is advisable to book these trips locally.
- Day 4: Langoya - Henningsvaer/Svolvaer
- Drive to Stokmarknes and visit the Hurtigruten Museum before continuing to Melbu and south to the islands of Lofoten. Take the car ferry to Fiskebol (additional cost) then continue to one of the beautiful seaside settlements of Svolvaer or Henningsvaer for a 3-night stay. Stay at the Svinoya Rorbuer in Svolvaer which offers comfortable accommodation in traditional old style cabins.
- Days 5-6: exploring Lofoten
- Spend time at leisure to explore Lofoten or join one of the optional excursions. Visit some of the highlights of the Lofoten; drive along the rugged coastline, visit quaint fishing villages, travel all the way to the furthest point, called A, one of the places visited by Joanna Lumley in her much-televised pursuit of the northern lights.
- Day 7: depart Norway
- Return to Evenes, drop off car before your flight home.
- The weather in Norway can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Norway will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Found in the city centre of Sortland, close to restauran…
Svinoya Rorbuer, Svolvaer
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Unique and Boutique
A collection of cabins and suites located on i…
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Oct - Nov 2018 & Feb - Mar 2019|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request
Price includes return flight between London Heathrow and Evenes via Oslo; airport taxes; 1 night at Thon Hotel in Harstad and 2 nights at the Sortland Hotel both based on breakfast basis and 3 nights at Svinoya Rorbuer in standard cabins for 2 people on self catering basis but an optional breakfast has been added as a convenience; 7 days vehicle rental with Europcar Norway (VW Golf or similar) including unlimited mileage, CDW and tax.
Price excludes any excursions as suggested in the travel itinerary; meals unless otherwise specified; fuel and any additional car insurance upgrades.
Note alternative hotels in Svolvaer and Henningsvaer are available on the last 3 nights. Please contact our team of Travel Specialists for more details.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.