On this 7-night independent break, three incredible destinations have been combined to make this a northern lights holiday to remember! The Norwegian city of Tromsø, well known for its sky-filling sightings; Abisko National Park in Swedish Lapland, statistically one of the best places in the world for frequent and spectacular light-shows and the nearby Icehotel, where auroral displays often light up one of the coolest and most amazing hotels.
- time to explore the charismatic Arctic city of Tromso
- take a chairlift to the Aurora Sky Station in Abisko
- sleep on ice at the world-famous Icehotel
- enjoy a range of snow-bound activities such as snowmobiling and husky-sledging
The coastal city of Tromsø is located high above the Arctic Circle, a mere 2,000 km from the North Pole! It has so much to offer: modern shops, lively restaurants and cafés, art galleries and museums and an eye-catching cathedral. The gigantic dark skies provide the perfect canvas for the northern lights. Choose to aurora watch from out at sea or take a tour to a vantage point away from the city lights.
From Tromsø, you’ll take the early morning coach to Narvik. Sit back and enjoy the magnificent scenery en route then connect with the train service to Abisko. Depending on the travel day to Narvik it may be necessary to overnight here before continuing by train the next day to Abisko, passing some of Sweden's highest mountains including Lapporten, the 'gateway' to beautiful Swedish Lapland.
After dinner at Abisko Mountain Station you'll take the chairlift to Aurora Sky Station where you'll enjoy spectacular views over the national park. Even though you'll travel up at night, the liberal covering of snow gently illuminates this beautiful region. From the Sky Station you can keep an eye out for the northern lights from either inside the station with it's huge picture windows or outside on the summit. There's also an interesting northern lights exhibition to look around.
Continue by train to Kiruna, keeping a look out for reindeer and moose often seen grazing in this area. Transfer to the incredible Icehotel where you'll spend the next 3 nights (one night in an ice room and two nights in a warm room). Explore the surrounding pristine forests at your leisure or on an exhilarating winter activity, such a husky sledging or snowmobiling. For a more sedate pastime, try ice sculpting and get creative with your own block of the River Torne's finest.
Please note the northern lights are a naturally occurring phenomena and sightings cannot be guaranteed.
After our evening meal we went up the chair lift to the Abisko sky station to wait for the Northern Lights and saw an amazing display - we couldn't have asked for anything more!Susan Day, Tromso, Abisko and Icehotel
Our stay at the ICEHOTEL was an incredible experience and we were truly blessed to have seen the Northern LightsPatricia Weston & Lorina Hornby, Tromso, Abisko & the Icehotel
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: UK - Norway
- Fly from the UK to Tromsø via Oslo with Scandinavian Airlines. Make your way to Tromsø city centre and spend 3 nights at the Scandic Ishavshotel. Other hotels are also available.
- Days 2-3: Tromsø
- Time at leisure to explore Tromsø, also known as the 'Paris of the North'. There are many optional excursions during the daytime and evening on offer.
- Day 4: Tromsø - Abisko
Make your way to Tromsø bus station for an early departure and take the scenic coach journey to Narvik train station (4 hours). Then take the train and travel through the mountains to Abisko (1 hour and 45 minutes). The bus and train times do vary depending on the day of travel. Walk the short distance and check in at Abisko Mountain Station. After dinner take the chairlift (a 15 minute walk* from your accommodation) to Aurora Sky Station. It's advisable to wrap up as the temperature drops as you ascend - additional clothing or a blanket will be provided on the chairlift should you need it. After the 20 minute ride, step out onto the mountain top and look out for the aurora borealis which will hopefully be visible. Spectacular displays have been known to fill the entire sky here for around two hours but it must be remembered that this is a natural phenomena and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed. Warm up in the summit café, take a look at the exhibition and enjoy being in the company of other eager aurora seekers. Take the chairlift down, head back to the hotel and perhaps enjoy a warming drink in the bar before retiring.
Please note due to the nature of the Abisko Sky Station chairlift experience we do not recommended for children under the age of 12 years.
- Day 5: Abisko - Kiruna - Icehotel
- Travel by rail to Kiruna and transfer to Jukkasjarvi, home of the Icehotel. Check in for a 3 night stay (1 night in an Ice Room, 2 nights in a warm room). Take a guided tour of this amazing ice construction, designed and built every year, a concept that has been literally ‘wowing’ guests for over 20 years. You’ll also have time to get kitted out with your one piece thermal suit, boots and gloves which will be loaned to you for the duration of your stay at the Icehotel.
- Days 6-7: at leisure
- Participate in optional activities or simply enjoy the beautiful surroundings. To ensure availability it is advisable to book certain activities and excursions in advance.
- Day 8: Sweden - UK
- Check out of the Icehotel and transfer to Kiruna Airport for your flight back to the UK.
- Due to the coach and train connections in Narvik on day 4, if the travel day from Tromso is either a Saturday or Sunday it is necessary to reduce the stay in Tromsø by 1 night and stay overnight in Narvik in order to catch the train to Abisko the following day.
- It is also possible to operate this itinerary in reverse.
- You can fly direct between London Heathrow and Kiruna - available on set dates only - see prices & departures.
- Option to extend your stay: To see more of the beautiful Norwegian coastline, why not extend your stay and join a Hurtigruten voyage to Kirkenes. Alternatively, with flights operating via Oslo and Stockholm, it is also possible to extend your stay in one or both of these Scandinavian capitals. Please contact our team to discuss your options.
- The weather can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in country will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Exclusive to Discover the World in the UK, the 16-room A…
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Unique and Boutique
This inspiring and totally 'cool' hotel provides both wa…
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Hotel
Centrally located in Norway's 'Paris of the North' of Tr…
Tromso - Villmarkssenter: You will head out into the night …
Tromso - Kjetil Skogli: Kjetil Skogli is an expert on findi…
Journeying out from the northern hub of Tromso, you will jo…
Tromso - Villmarkssenter: A journey by husky sled couldn't …
Tromso - Guide Gunnar. Join a guided aurora chase by bus to…
Tromso - Villmarkssenter: An expedition for those who seek …
Tromso - Villmarkssenter: A journey for those who wish to m…
The sure-footed Icelandic horse will be your mount for the …
Tromso - Villmarkssenter: The ultimate northern lights expe…
Tromso - Lyngsfjord : This excursion will take you to Camp …
Tromso - Villmarkssenter: Snow-clad in the winter months, t…
Tromso - Lyngsfjord Adventure: This invention makes moving …
Few things are as memorable as dinner under the stars.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Dec to Apr|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request
Prices include scheduled flights between London Heathrow and Tromsø via Oslo, and between Kiruna and London Heathrow via Stockholm; coach between Tromsø and Narvik; train between Narvik and Kiruna via Abisko; 3 nights at Scandic Ishavshotel in Tromsø, 1 night at the Abisko Mountain Station, 3 nights at the Icehotel (1 night in an Ice Room and 2 nights in warm Kaamos room) on a breakfast basis throughout, plus evening meal at Abisko; return chairlift to the Aurora Sky Station; use of thermal suit, hat, boots and gloves during your stay at the Icehotel (additional clothing is also provided for your trip to the Aurora Sky Station); all taxes and Northern Lights Bradt guide.
Prices exclude transfers in Tromsø, any relevant transfers in Narvik, meals other than mentioned and personal expenses.
- If you are travelling over Christmas or New Year a supplement will apply.
- Should it not be possible to operate the Abisko Sky Station chairlift due to adverse weather reasons, you can often view the northern lights from the national park or even the terrace at the Abisko Mountain Station. Due to the nature of the chairlift experience it is not recommended for children under the age of 12 years.
- Scheduled Flights operate daily and airfares are based on the lowest available fare, should this not be available at the time of booking a supplement will apply. All holidays and prices are subject to availability.
Direct flight upgrade
Direct Flight Departures 2016/17
London Heathrow to Kiruna
17, 26 Dec 2016
21 & 28 Jan; 04, 18 & 25 Feb; 04 & 11 Mar 2017
Kiruna to London Heathrow
20 & 29 Dec 2016
24 & 31 Jan; 07, 21 & 28 Feb; 07 & 14 Mar 2017
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.