This fantastic short break combines the beautiful, historic and vibrant city of Tromso, with the stunning and remote Malangen Resort, set in natural surroundings away from city lights, optimising aurora watching potential. Malangen’s superb collection of stylish properties and a great selection of optional winter activities at both locations are a winning combination.
- A captivating town with plenty to see and do
- Stylish fjord-side retreat with excellent accommodation
- Great potential for northern lights sightings
- Wide range of winter activities
Tromso sits 350km above the Arctic Circle and is the largest city in northern Norway. The city centre is an endearing mix of old and new from restored wooden houses to striking modern architecture, the distinctive Arctic Cathedral probably the most famous landmark. Located on the small island of Tromsoya, the city limits spread out onto the mainland, connected by bridge and tunnel.
Combine the city with the remote Malangen Resort, which comprises a stylish hotel complete with chic and spacious rooms, reception area, restaurant and bar in the main hotel building, sea-view apartments just a few metres away and a selection of deluxe cabins either on fjords edge or located higher up with great views overlooking the fjord, and a mountainside wilderness centre used for the activities, Camp Nikka. Set just a short walk from the hotel, this is a great place from which to keep watch for the aurora, around a campfire at a wooden lavvu and included in the package as a Northern Lights Watch activity.
With a good selection of activities such as a guided northern lights watch (included), and optional snowmobiling, husky sledding, nordic skiing, snowshoe walk and fat bike rental, a 3-course evening meal and the convenient transfers between Malangen and Tromso twice a day - this short break offers a fantastic experience to northern Norway and aurora sightings this far north in such a remote location are often spectacular.
For a festive break, Christmas is a great time to visit Malangen and spend time with familiy and friends. We have also introduced a specific New Year package to Malangen Resort departing on 28th December for 5 nights with half board and a selection of activities included. Please refer to the separate package for more information.
Winter activity guarantee: Malangen has access to a mountain camp (90 minutes away), so if weather conditions at the resort mean that some activities can't be taken there, guests are transported to the other camp and can still join the husky and snowmobiling adventures.
Call our Norway experts now
Set Transfers between Tromso City, Airport and Malangen Resort
Twice daily Malangen arranges a set mini-bus transfer between Tromso City and Malangen Resort, stopping at the airport on route. They operate at set times, with a journey time of approximately 1 hour 20 minutes. The transfer needs to be pre-booked and starts and finishes outside the Scandic Ishavshotel hotel in the city centre. Please note the schedule
Morning departure from Tromso city at 10.45, arrives/departs airport at 11.00, arriving Malangen at 12.15
Evening departure from Tromso city at 18.20, arrives/departs airport at 18.35, arriving Malangen at 19.40
Morning departure from Malangen at 09.00, arrives/departs airport at 10.15, arriving Tromso city at 10.30
Afternoon departure from Malangen at 16.15, arrives/departs airport at 17.30, arriving Tromso city at 17.45
Private transfers at other times can be arranged at a supplement.
Nothing we have ever done comes close… One life, live it!Alan Holley, Great Nordic Odyssey
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive Tromso
- Fly to Tromso and make your way from the airport to the city centre (not included) for a 2 night stay in one of the central hotels on breakfast basis. The town has a great choice of cafes and restaurants to find your preferred evening meal.
- Day 2: at leisure in and around Tromsø
- Time to explore this small arctic city or join one of the optional winter activities. There are several places of interest to visit within walking distance as well as a good selection of hotels and restaurants. Another attraction is the number of opportunities to get out and explore Tromso's great outdoors, especially on northern lights safaris. Please ask our Sales team for the options available to pre-book.
- Day 3: Tromso - Malangen
- The day at leisure before a transfer in the early evening at 18.20 from Tromso to Malangen Resort (journey time approx 90 minutes) with the stay based on a 3-course half board basis on both nights. Take time to check-in and enjoy the evening meal, getting acquainted with the surroundings.
- Day 4: at leisure in Malangen
- Enjoy the idyllic winter scenery or join one of the optional activities such as dog sledding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, nordic skiing, Sami Storytelling and fat bike rental. Overnight at Malangen Resort. In the evening the Northern Lights Watch is included with a briefing about this natural phenomenon and a guided trip to one of three locations, dependent on aurora viewing conditions at the time. Most likely the destination is at Camp Nikka just a short walk away. Once back at the hotel the guides continue to keep watch and should a display occur, opt to be woken with a magical Sami song so that you can dash outside and see the dancing display for yourself. It is possible to book the Northern Lights watch for the first night at Malangen giving you a chance to join one of the other evening excursions - dog sledding under the northern lights or moonlight snowshoeing.
- Day 5: depart Tromso
- Transfer back to Tromso Airport for your flight home or extend the stay further with extra nights in Malangen Resort or Tromso. The arranged transfers depart from Malangen at 09.00 & 16.15 hours.
- The weather in Norway can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Norway will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Dec to Mar (2018-19)|
|Superior double room||£1,000|
|Superior single occupancy||£1,385|
|Apartment - adult||£988|
|Sea view Cabin - adult||£1,023|
|Deluxe Sea view Cabin - adult||£1,140|
Adult prices based on 2 adults sharing a room. Child prices based on sharing with 2 adults and on request.
Price includes: direct flights between London Gatwick and Tromso with Norwegian airlines, all airport taxes and surcharges, 2 nights accommodation at Scandic Ishavshotel on breakfast basis, shuttle bus transfer from Tromso to Malangen Resort, 2 nights accommodation in a Standard room on half board basis, Northern Lights Watch activity and shuttle transfer back to Tromso airport.
Price excludes: transfer on arrival from airport to Tromso centre, meals unless otherwise stated, optional winter activities in Tromso and Malangen.
Direct flights operate from London Gatwick to Tromso 4 times per week (31 Oct - 30 Mar), departing on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Alternatively, there are regular flights London Heathrow to Tromso via Oslo with Scandinavian Airlines.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.